Indie Book Club discussion

Book of the Month Fantasy > Interest in resurrecting Book of the Month?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Thaddeus (new)

Thaddeus White | 631 comments Mod
Hey, kids.

As the Last Mod Alive, I was wondering if there was any interest in resurrecting the old Book of the Month we used to run?

The key here is how many readers/potential readers there would be. There's no limit to the number of authors who'd like a thread about their book, of course.

So, readers, let me know if you'd be into this.

message 2: by Steph (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 178 comments I think it died a death for a reason. I tended to just read the sci-fi ones, which wasn't every month. I now go to the Space Opera group as that has an 'indie pick' every month.

You can probably take down Wyrd Worlds II from the group page now...!

message 3: by Thaddeus (new)

Nah, I'll leave it up (if it were my book I'd be glad of the little free advertising boost).

A shame things have become quieter. Ah, well.

message 4: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1013 comments I'm on GR a lot less than I used to be. I'd happily promote but I honestly don't know if it helps. I guess we could try it and see.

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Mehrens | 2 comments I'm new to GR, but as a reader I love the idea of the book a month and would be on board.

message 6: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1013 comments Why don't we trial for three months. If it falls flat we can stop?

message 7: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Cerda (bobann) | 11 comments I agree.

message 8: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1013 comments We could do two genres - to give readers the choice.

message 9: by Thaddeus (new)

Hey, kids. Not sure but I might be the last active mod (be interesting to see if I've forgotten how to do all the things).

If others are interested, please do post here so I can gauge how many are up for it.

There'll never be a shortage of writers who want their book read, the question is how many readers can be involved. Doesn't need to be a huge number (no upper limit, of course) but there does need to be *some* interest.

message 10: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1013 comments Interested as an author (obviously) - as a reader - depends on the genre but I might be up for it.

We do need to keep in mind if folks are going to review then there is the risk a reader doesn't like the book and will say that. Reviews won't all be 4 or 5 star.

message 11: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Cerda (bobann) | 11 comments A.L. wrote: "Interested as an author (obviously) - as a reader - depends on the genre but I might be up for it.

We do need to keep in mind if folks are going to review then there is the risk a reader doesn't l..."

'Tis true.

Therefore to dampen too harsh rhetoric, perhaps a uniform code - non posting of reviews less than 3 stars or just use weighted votes. Notify author that a review is available for posting.

message 12: by Thaddeus (new)

As a rule, I don't want to throw my moddish weight around, but on reviews, I'm going to.

If there's enough interest to run this, then honest reviews must be encouraged. If that means you get a low review, so be it. If a reader decides they prefer not to give a poor review, that's a free choice for them, but I won't be forbidding reviews with 1 or 2 stars.

I'd add that sometimes low reviews can be a positive thing. As well as potentially highlighting areas to improve (constructive criticism is your friend), they can also break up a sea of 4/5* reviews which, usually unfairly, some people assume are given by friends and family.