World, Writing, Wealth discussion

Publishing 101
This topic is about Publishing 101
All Things Writing & Publishing > Buddy Read? Publishing 101 by Jane Friedman

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Alex (asato) I read the sample yesterday and just started reading it. If anyone wants to join and discuss that would be great! We can just post as we go.

($3.99/kindle)

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Alex G wrote: "I read the sample yesterday and just started reading it. If anyone wants to join and discuss that would be great! We can just post as we go.

($3.99/kindle)"

I can't start until this weekend but I'm in :-)

Alex (asato) Tara wrote: "I can't start until this weekend but I'm in :-)"

then i won't post until you start. it would be boring talking to myself. (just don't read my status updates on the book.)

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Alex G wrote: "Tara wrote: "I can't start until this weekend but I'm in :-)"

then i won't post until you start. it would be boring talking to myself. (just don't read my status updates on the book.)"

Deal lol, although talking to oneself is underrated.

Alex (asato) Tara wrote: "Alex G wrote: "Tara wrote: "I can't start until this weekend but I'm in :-)"

then i won't post until you start. it would be boring talking to myself. (just don't read my status updates on the book..."

i'm at 37%. she's writing about self-publishing and how author platform is more important for non-fiction.

message 6: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan OMG - I'm so time poor right now.

message 7: by M.L. (new)

M.L. My reading list is a bit behind as well, and I'm also a cheap-o, but reading the highlights posted!

Alex (asato) M.L. Roberts wrote: "My reading list is a bit behind as well, and I'm also a cheap-o, but reading the highlights posted!"

cool.

Graeme Rodaughan wrote: "OMG - I'm so time poor right now."

IKR! at some point before you release your next book, this is a must-read. for now, you could just read my status updates.

even though it is "a compilation of [her] best blog posts since 2008", it was published fairly recently (December 2014), i'm leaning towards making this book as my go-to book for publishing and marketing advice. Friedman knows about the publishing world as she was "President and Chief Executive Officer of HarperCollins Publishers Worldwide, one of the world's leading English-language publishers, from 1997 to 2008." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Fr...)

this one along with Self-Editing for Fiction Writers: How to Edit Yourself Into Print, The Elements of Style, Poetics, and http://jimbutcher.livejournal.com/ are probably going to be my standard recommendations for all writers.