Hobb-A-Long Read-A-Long discussion

Golden Fool (Tawny Man, #2)
This topic is about Golden Fool
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2016 - ARCHIVED > Golden Fool - Chapters 16-20

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sarah | 52 comments So much happened in those last few chapters.

I am just as annoyed as Chade about the ongoing quarrel between the Fool and Fitz. It is just as Chade told Fitz in Assassin's Quest, sometimes (most of the time) he speaks before he thinks about how his words might hurt people he loves and who love him in return. At least he patched things up with hap and Starling so I guess he did learn something from the whole mess.

Honestly I was surprised that Thick was tricked into spying for the Piebalds, even thogh I think I should have seen it coming. At least it doesn't seem like that's going to be a problem anymore ;P

I always feel like I accomplished something really important when one of my theories turnes out to be right, which really is kind of silly. I'm still really happy that I was right about Rosemary being Chade's new apprentice.

Speaking of Chade: he really annoys me. He was the one always telling Fitz to be careful and now he does not listen to all of his warnings. At the same time I understand that getting old is probably one of the hardest things in life. Especially if you practically hid away all your life.

We might have had a short fight now but so far I feel like this book was a whole lot of "Nothing". I don't mean that nothing happened, just that this book does not seem to have it's own plot, with it's own climax but just that everything that happens is a setup for the last book. There was nothing in the book that really drove the plot forward. At the same time I have to give a lot of credit to Robin Hobb, because even though I feel like there's not so much plotwise in the book I still am not bored by it.

Who else is really annoyed if there are 2 characters, who know each other from previous books, and they don't meet?

message 2: by John (new)

John | 219 comments Sarah wrote: "So much happened in those last few chapters.

I am just as annoyed as Chade about the ongoing quarrel between the Fool and Fitz. It is just as Chade told Fitz in Assassin's Quest, sometimes (most ..."

I think right now that we are seeing a lot of microplotting going on, where the story is hopping from one scene of characters and situations to another so as to advance the main plots incrementally, and that hopefully the several plot strands will coalesce into making major advances in the greater plots and culminate into more satisfying resolutions. It seems that the Piebald storyline, which has preoccupied this book and the last one is starting to come to a conclusion, and the next major plot to address regarding the journey to seek out Icefyre is getting started, so we are seeing the larger storylines overlap each other, stitched together by these sometimes insignificant-seeming plot points that accrue importance as they accumulate during the story's progression. Definitely not as straightforward and linear as Fool's errand, but also more enriching and intricate in design.

That must be Fitz and Burrich you are referring to in your last line! I guess this will be just a teaser for now, but obviously this is the build-up to the crisis that will involve Nettle and resolving her situation. But you're right, Sarah! It's a little annoying that we haven't had Burrich reunited with the rest of the characters since the beginning of AQ!

message 3: by John (last edited Oct 30, 2016 10:34AM) (new)

John | 219 comments The Fool has decided to behave in a passive-aggressive manner in dealing with Fitz, only addressing him within his role as Lord Golden , and not breaking character to act as the Fool; and always referring to Fitz as Tom. He even reverts to being the Fool when addressing Chade, in front of Fitz, and serves Chade food while ignoring him. Things are definitely a little frosty there!

When Burrich shows up after all these many years, it is rather dismaying that, if anything, his hatred of the Wit has gotten worse, as he believes that Fitz' supposed early death was because of his association with it. He was never very open minded about this subject, and maybe we shouldn't be too surprised that age and rural isolation have limited the scope and breadth of his toleration, making him even more repressive of his own naturally Witted nature, as well as that of his Witted son.

Chade makes an effort to encourage Fitz to reveal himself to Burrich while this situation has arisen, surely in part because it will help grease the wheels toward breaking up this stalemate between Fitz and himself regarding bringing Nettle to Buckkeep and training her in the Skill ( there is always an ulterior motive with Chade); but Fitz refuses.

It is also clever( and manipulative) for Chade to send Starling out to derail Fitz from seeking out Laudwine on his own( as Chade and Kettricken don't want any Old Bloods killed before the big Old Blood hearing takes place), ostensibly so Starling can make up to Fitz for their argument earlier( which is actually fairly sincere on her part, as far as that goes). But Fitz, knowing Starling has long been employed as Chade's spy( including spying on him during his years at his rural Buck home, sharing Fitz's bed all the while), is also clever, and sees Chades fingerprints all over this; and does not let her deter him from looking for Laudwine.

When he finds him in the process of trying to have Civil choked to death, he acts spontaneously, bursting into a house and killing Laudwine, his associate, and shockingly, the associate's little dog( so the dying Piebald cannot place himself into his Wit-bonded dog's body and survive his own death). This is as disturbing as Fitz's beating of the captured Old Blood archer in Fool's Errand! Then, badly hurt himself, he goes to the stable and kills Laudwine's bonded stallion( which Laudwine had obviously already had launched his soul into, and taken control of after his death).

Then, inexplicably, Fitz is allowed to languish in jail for a triple murder charge, wounded to the point of slowly dying, all to allow Chade to come up with an excuse for the killings that won't make it appear like it was a hate crime against Old Bloods. But the upcoming Old Blood conference, though important, is not so calamitous to the kingdom if it fails, as it might have been had the Piebalds still had the Prince in their possession; and it might be postponed or cancelled to allow Old Blood tensions to cool. Fitz is much more important to the Farseers than even this peace initiative, and it really doesn't make any sense to risk his death here.

And frankly, all they need to do is use their royal prerogative to transfer Fitz from the Buckkeep jail to the palace dungeon, so for the stated reason of wanting to "interrogate" him. By that time, the "stolen jewels" excuse could have been worked out for the sake of public consumption; and so then he could have received proper treatment several days earlier, and not necessarily arrived at the point of death. As it was, an informal coterie has to assemble for the first time ever all together, in a last ditch attempt to Skill-repair Fitz's failing body( which this motley, disorganized crew is able to accomplish, not without some unintended consequences).

Abner | 90 comments Damn this section was packed, now if you haven't fell in love with the character's in these books, this section is boring to you and nothing happened.

First time I felt about to shed tears i this whole series was en Burich, Kettricken and Chade had that conversation, holy F*k!.

About Thick spying, he was the perfect target for this, the good thing is that they can persuade him back, not an imminent threat. We finally found out who is Chade's new apprentice, Rosemary (which was my #2 pick) lol.

I'm really enjoyed this section because we are starting to dive deep into the Skill and the coterie was formed which is actually my favorite moment of the series yet. Such a malformed coterie because there is no balanced member, all of them are strong in one thing only, which is not good but it may proof useful in the long run.

They fight between The Fool and Fitz I find it silly, but they will work it out I know.

About Chade meddling in the skill, I understand his reasons, but he should be careful, Fitz is completely right in this, the coterie is fragile and if anything happen to any of the they will be unbalanced and destroyed, and they will need this coterie in full form (to whatever strengths they can take it) for the upcoming quest to slay the "dragon".

Also I predict that Chade won't make it to the end of this trilogy or the beginning of the next, even if he figures out how to prolong his life with the skill, I think he will sacrifice his life to save some else.

Also I really don't know why Fitz is so against the prolongation process, Kettle lives 200+ years and was prob the best candidate to pass along and correct the Skill knowledge and scrolls, but we lost her, yet she was able to lend her strength in the carving and gave her life to finish Verity's work. So I don't see many downsides to this in concrete evidence, maybe there are but are not plainly visible.

message 5: by John (new)

John | 219 comments Abner wrote: "Damn this section was packed, now if you haven't fell in love with the character's in these books, this section is boring to you and nothing happened.

First time I felt about to shed tears i this ..."

Fitz, I think, just doesn't want to stay the same age while everybody he knows and loves gets more old and decrepit and dies; and it's not clear if the Skill healing can be as easily done to others whose lifespans he might want to extend, as to yourself( although Bolt with her perhaps superior dragon abilities in the Skill was able to do a lot with Wintrow's injuries; also to consider that Kettle was skill-blasted ( as punishment for killing her sister), and was still able to extend her own lifespan with her abilities diminished. Maybe people with unimpaired Skill can do more, even Skill healing the Unskilled).

It's going to look really odd though, if Dutiful starts to do this himself, and looks like a 20 year-old king in the public eye for the next 200 years, while dukes and courtiers are born, become elderly and die in the meantime.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.