Play Book Tag discussion

Archives 2016-2017 > Can't Keep Up!

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6541 comments I'm struggling a little bit to keep up with everyone's fast and furious reviewing. Each month, I really try hard to read all the reviews that fit the tag, but I've been struggling to do that . . .and I apologize. If you make the effort to post a review that fits, I really want to read it.

One thing that is frustrating me is the app. I can read reviews there, but I hate how you can't respond directly to a person . . .

I just want everyone to know that I do value your contributions, and if I haven't commented much lately, it's because life has been getting in the way a bit. I hope to catch up after November 2nd when my schedule is going to calm down for a few weeks!

message 2: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments Anita wrote: "I'm struggling a little bit to keep up with everyone's fast and furious reviewing. Each month, I really try hard to read all the reviews that fit the tag, but I've been struggling to do that . . .a..."

I don't know how you do as much as you do! Please don't feel like you have to apologize for missing some here and there.

I agree about the app. After the nesting that the next most frustrating thing about GR

message 3: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7197 comments What app? Is this something on smart phones?

message 4: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6541 comments Karin wrote: "What app? Is this something on smart phones?"

Yes, there is a Goodreads app for smartphones. I'm honestly not sure I'm better off with the app because it is so poorly designed.

message 5: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1365 comments Anita, no problem. I haven't been able to participate as much as I've wanted to either. Just too much getting in the way. So, I feel your pain. We know you're dedicated to your group, though! Thanks for being an awesome admin!

Karin wrote: "What app? Is this something on smart phones?"

Yes, there is a Goodreads app for iPhones and Androids. It lets you do basic things, but there are definitely some downsides, like the one Anita mentioned. You also can't edit a post or delete a post. And, after you've read a post, it still shows as unread. I use the app mainly for updating what page I'm on.

message 6: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7197 comments Anita wrote: "Karin wrote: "What app? Is this something on smart phones?"

Yes, there is a Goodreads app for smartphones. I'm honestly not sure I'm better off with the app because it is so poorly designed."

Okay, just another reason I'm happy I don't have one. I need strict self-imposed online rules for myself.

message 7: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6541 comments Regina wrote: "Anita wrote: "I'm struggling a little bit to keep up with everyone's fast and furious reviewing. Each month, I really try hard to read all the reviews that fit the tag, but I've been struggling to ..."

Thank you, Regina! I do hate to miss out on people's posts. So much effort goes into many of them.

I actually find the app more frustrating than the lack of nesting - - if you can believe that. I really dislike it. I wonder if I would be better off deleting it and trying to access Goodreads just using the browser on my phone . . .

message 8: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6541 comments Jenni Elyse wrote: "Anita, no problem. I haven't been able to participate as much as I've wanted to either. Just too much getting in the way. So, I feel your pain. We know you're dedicated to your group, though! Thank..."

Thank you for your understanding, Jenni, but also for elaborating on all the reasons I can't stand the app.

Anyone out there accessing Goodreads on their smartphone without using the app?

message 9: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments I think I use the app more than most here. The app seems fine to me with the exception of it's group functions. It's handy for when you're out and about and want to add a book to your TBR. I'll go to B&N and scan the barcode to add books to my TBR list. I also use it to update my progress reading, like Jenni. I use it to look at book details as well.

I only look at PBT and use any group functions on the actual computer. It's not even worth using the mobile app for me through the app. I also don't read reviews on the app- it's too difficult to navigate through friends review/strangers review and find positive and negative reviews. They just show the most 'liked' reviews which are often garbage/

message 10: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments I am like Joi and use the app often when I am out and about and want to look something up quickly or scan some reviews.

The group functions are horrible and, like Anita, I don't like that I cannot reply directly to a person or edit my post.

What I do like about the app is that if you click on your red notifications badge and go to the list of recent updates, then click on one, when you go back you can see which of the updates you still haven't read. I hate that on the computer once you click on one notification then it marks all of them as read.

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8842 comments I love the app, but use the computer to write my reviews. Crazy, as I'm the lowest tech person of us all and don't have a Facebook page. But I am on good reads all day long. I think the app is easy and I find it far easier to navigate on the computer. Every day I get to see what people have been reading in the last 24 hours. Crazy that it's my vice.

message 12: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments Joi wrote: "I think I use the app more than most here. The app seems fine to me with the exception of it's group functions. It's handy for when you're out and about and want to add a book to your TBR. I'll go ..."

I do use the barcode function quite a bit and like that a lot. But I find it worthless for interacting within the group

message 13: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I use the app mostly as I'm busy, but I find aspects of it frustrating and agree that an inability to reply directly to a post is annoying, along with not being able to edit a post. I'm sure it will bet better over time.

message 14: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments *get

message 15: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments See?!

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments I like to look up books when I'm out too. Especially at my f2f book club, when someone suggest something, I like to look up what it's GR rating is and if any of my friends reviewed it.

message 17: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Susie wrote: "See?!"

Hahahaha!

message 18: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1365 comments I use the app for more than just updating my place in a book when I don't have access to a computer. But, I try to not use it for group discussions if I can help it. It's just too frustrating.

message 19: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2275 comments I actually use my tablet or phone to access the internet to use GR, not the app so I don't really have much experience with it. I used it once or twice but I was already frustrated with GR in general as opposed to Shelfari so I didn't need anything else to get annoyed with!

I too have trouble keeping up with the reviews. I always read and responded to reviews on Shelfari but I find I can't keep up with GR. I feel that I miss so much!

message 20: by Ladyslott (last edited Oct 24, 2016 05:40PM) (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Barbara wrote: "I too have trouble keeping up with the reviews. I always read and responded to reviews on Shelfari but I find I can't keep up with GR. I feel that I miss so much! .."

I agree. I really dislike that I cannot respond to my own posts - especially for something like the Shelfafories challenge. At Shelfari I could respond to my own posts with updates- now I have to post a response that is disconnected. I really hate it.

I also agree that discussion is severely limited, especially when trying to have a discussion of a review or a specific book/topic

message 21: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8617 comments Anita wrote: "Anyone out there accessing Goodreads on their smartphone without using the app? ..."

I use the regular website on my tablet. Still a bit larger than a phone, though, so maybe not the correct comparison.

message 22: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5999 comments In many other groups I've seen people comment that they use their phones to access the browser for Goodreads if they truly want to interact / respond in their groups (rather than using the mobile app).

Since I don't have a smart phone and I don't keep my tbr on Goodreads, that's not an issue for me. I mostly access on my desktop PC, but occasionally use my tablet ... but in both cases I'm going through the regular GR website.

message 23: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Anita wrote: "Regina wrote: "Anita wrote: "I'm struggling a little bit to keep up with everyone's fast and furious reviewing. Each month, I really try hard to read all the reviews that fit the tag, but I've been..."

I actually used the app for the first time last night on my son's phone. It was horrible so I clicked on something on the app that that took me to the traditional GR and was much happier.

message 24: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6541 comments I need to find that "something" Denizen!!!