Play Book Tag discussion

Lily and the Octopus
This topic is about Lily and the Octopus
Archive: Other Books > Lily and the Octopus by Steven Rowley - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susan Tunis (suetu) | 30 comments Lily and the Octopus -
Rowley, Steven (Simon & Schuster)

Please do this: Stop now and read the first page and a half of this novel. It won’t take long. Okay, can’t you hear Ted’s voice? Did you laugh out loud like I did? I’m not going to lie to you, this is a novel about a sick dog. I. Do. Not. Like. Reading. About. Sick. Dogs. Who does, right? But I loved this funny, quirky, heartbreaking novel! Not only is it a paean to the love we feel for these little creatures we let into our lives, homes, and hearts, in many ways it’s a novel about the best we have to offer. Despite being about a dog, this is one of the most deeply human novels in recent memory. Dog lover or not, don’t be afraid to pick this one up.—Susan

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I did not like this book at all, rated it two stars.

message 3: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5117 comments LOL how to choose now with such opposing opinions?

Susan Tunis (suetu) | 30 comments annapi wrote: "LOL how to choose now with such opposing opinions?"

Well, here's the thing about this book--it seems to be one of those polarizing love it or hate it novels. I've sold several copies and recommended it to friends. Several people loved it as much as I did, but one close friend, whose opinion I respect greatly, absolutely HATED it. He was like, "This is a book about serious mental illness, and I don't want to read about a man going mad."

He has something of a point. The novel goes into some unexpectedly weird, dark places, but that's part of what made it so interesting. And my friend viewed this novel with the darkest possible interpretation, without seeing the lightness, the humor, the love, and the hopefulness.

Always take my enthusiasm with a grain of salt. It's entirely genuine, but I just have above average exuberance when it comes to books. I'm dialed to 11. Also, I almost always like the polarizing title more than the universally beloved book. Boring!

message 5: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6640 comments Hmmm, I'm always intrigued by the idea of reading the polarizing books . . .and sometimes it has paid off (A Little Life, The Road). But , this one looks childish from the cover . . .is it?

message 6: by Joi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3830 comments I just read a couple reviews, and one mentioned the dog talks?!?

I was looking into it because of interest, but I feel like a talking dog would completely ruin it for me.

Seems like a quirky tearjerker- which isn't normally two things that mesh together. Definitely considering it for the animal tag if there are no talking animals.