VHS Badger English discussion

A Madness So Discreet

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mrs. (new)

Mrs. Pilakowski | 4 comments Mod
Hi all. I finished two books this weekend. This is one of them.

And a good one it was...for the first 100 pages. I couldn't put it down. Grace Mae finds herself locked into an 1800s asylum, pregnant with child--and whose child it is is even more disturbing than the description and events of the asylum that are so, so horrific. Immediately, I was enthralled and couldn't put the book down.

But then the pacing slowed down. A lot. She becomes an assistant to a forensic detective (ironically both books from this weekend were about the 1800s, murder, forensic science and some asylums thrown in--maybe something is wrong with my mind?). With this detective, they track down a serial killer.

That's where the book cheats. Once the killer is determined--and it's not at the end of the book--that suspense is over so quickly. What I'm about to say is a bit of a spoiler, so if you think you want to read this book stop now.

Seriously. I'm going to reveal kind of a biggish event below. (No, biggish is not a real word, but I just made it one.)

She kills the serial killer. But get this--the author doesn't write this scene! She leaves off at them walking off together, the chapter ends, and then all the sudden it's hours later. We're expected to assume that this was no big deal to Grace Mae that she just KILLED A MAN MUCH LARGER THAN HERSELF!

I love the premise of the book, that the line between sanity and insanity is thin, but what a great opportunity has been missed to study Grace Mae's sanity when we don't know what goes through her mind in the moments before, during, and after her murder of a large man?

The ending is happy. The guy who impregnated her gets what he deserves. I'm just a bit sad that this book that was so full of potential in the first 100 pages let me down so much in the last 200.