Beyond Reality discussion

SERIES—List & Discussions > Deverry--Second "Arc" of the Deverry Series

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3111 comments Mod
We have now completed the second arc of the Deverry Cycle, the Westlands. You can use this thread to discuss how the story (and the world) has widened from the first 4 books, our growing cast of races and characters, and speculate (NO SPOILERS) on where the story will go from here.

I had read these first 8 books many years ago, and have never read the rest of the Deverry Cycle, so we will be moving into totally new territory for me (although I must confess to remembering very little from the books I had previously read).

I think Evandar will set in motion a plan to rebuild at least one of the great Elven cities.
I think Rhodry will find Angmar again, somehow, whether Haen Marn returns to the world or not.

message 2: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2150 comments Mod
I wonder how much of the story will be set in the "future" as these events move along, and if there are any new past setting we'll be introduced to. I also wonder if we'll see any of the characters who have died reborn. And if any of the Host will follow Elessi into real life.

message 3: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 487 comments I'm interested too, to see what times we visit. There are incarnations listed on the Wikipedia page that seem to date from when humans came to Deverry, so I'd be interested to see if we go there.

There's also that narrator that is telling the story, who is clearly a decent distant in the future, so I wonder if we'll find out what that is. Maybe someone in a rebuild elven city?

message 4: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

I think at some point, the upcoming books do go back to the 835-840 period when Jill's soul was incarnated in a man, Branoic, and Nevyn was trying to help unite Deverry under a "true" king. Rhodry's soul was Maddyn during that time period. I have started a spreadsheet that helps me track the incarnations through the different stories and time periods.

I think the Guardians/Host are doomed if they stay as they are, and I think Evandar is starting to understand that. How many of them will eventually become "real" is complicate by the fact that many of them barely exist as individuals in the Lands right now. And now Evandar's brother is free and with Raena, setting up the next phase of that ongoing conflict.

message 5: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Judging from the name of the next arc of 3 books, The Dragon Mage, I think (hope?) the dragons play a larger role in the story.