2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Who Buries the Dead (Sebastian St. Cyr, #10)
This topic is about Who Buries the Dead
Who Buries the Dead > Question C

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7619 comments Mod
Sebastian decides to seek justice instead of vengeance for the souls lost in Portugal to honor their lives. What do you think of his restraint against someone so vile as Oliphant?

Phrynne | 601 comments Is it the philosophical debate about taking vengeance meaning you sink to the same level as the perpetrator. Justice hopefully gets the right result whilst you remain with clean hands.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments To be honest, while I understand Sebastian's reasoning and even applaud it, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed that he didn't do away with Oliphant on his own. I think I have a vicious side, lol. Though in reality, Sebastian knows full well what sort of retribution Jarvis will hand down and he's going to let it play out.

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7619 comments Mod
After having had a part, though innocently, in their ultimate fate, Sebastian needed to ground himself in something pure and honorable to not get mired in the bile of vengeance. I really admired his restraint and, like you, Veronica, wanted him to do him in the old fashioned way:)

Phrynne, I love that!

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments I think knowing who his father-in-law was served Sebastian well, for once! Not that Jarvis was any more affectionate or caring....

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Veronica wrote: " I wasn't a little disappointed that he didn't do away with Oliphant on his own. ."

I think I may have that vicious streak too, Veronica! I too was waiting for Sebastian's need for vengeance to gain the upper hand, but as Phrynne says, he wants justice more than revenge and taking the law into one's own hands is self-destructive.

I found it interesting that Hero's has a similar ruthless streak as her father. She would not have batted an eye if Sebastian had killed Oliphant.

I was, however, satisfied with the way things turned out with Jarivs doing the dirty work. It did amaze me that Oliphant wasn't more careful in hiring his underling considering the possibility that Hero might be hurt in the crossfire. Could it have been that he was not aware of who her father was?

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments Lauren wrote: "I think I may have that vicious streak too, Veronica!"

Glad I'm not the only one! ;-)

I think Oliphant knows who Hero's father is. He seems exactly like the kind of man who makes it his business to know the men in power. The man he hired, now that's another story. But even if the hired thug knew, I think that after two failed attempts to kill Sebastian he was just desperate enough to fire into his home.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Veronica wrote: "I think Oliphant knows who Hero's father is. He seems exactly like the kind of man who makes it his business to know the men in power. ."

I also thought so, but his decision to hire a thug to kill Sebastian shows a decided lack of foresight. He must have known that Hero or Simon could have been killed and this would incite Jarvis's wrath. Perhaps he just didn't care or thought Jarvis would blame Sebastian...