2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Who Buries the Dead (Sebastian St. Cyr, #10)
This topic is about Who Buries the Dead
Who Buries the Dead > Question A

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7619 comments Mod
Sebastian recalls a time when he witnessed the auction of slaves in Barbados where a mother and her son were separated. It seemed to profoundly affect him. Is this, along with what happened in Portugal, possibly contributing or driving factors forming his strong sense of justice?

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments Such a sad scene.

I absolutely think these events have helped to shape Sebastian's values and core self. And it must be something innate within him because I don't see how he could have developed such a strong moral center from his mother or Hendon, who seemed more an absentee father (which is probably in line with men of his social station). I think it makes Sebastian that much more honorable to know that he's carved out his ideals on his own.

Great points, Veronica.

We've asked this question since the start of the series and it wasn't until this story that I got my "aha!" moment. These two events most definitely have helped shape his perspective about justice. I think the hypocrisy of his own family also has him seeing the contrasts between society and others below their station with different filters.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments I agree, Ladies. What a perceptive question, Jonetta. Thanks.

Thanks, Charlene.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments I agree that the episode helped shape Sebastian's sense of justice. I also think that it resonates even more with him now as he has personal knowledge of what it feels to be separated from his own mother even though it was voluntary on her part (which probably makes the memory all the more heartbreaking for him).

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments Good point, Lauren.

message 8: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 40 comments C.S. Harris has done a great job of tying together Sebastian's history with his sense of justice. Now on the 10th book and we are beginning to get at what happened in Portugal and then we also get this added insight from Sebastian witnessing a slave auction. Why he would be especially sensitive to this is clearly shown in the loss of his mother. But looking back, one can see that his sense of justice has always been especially focused on the plight of women and children. His "adopting" Tom early on points to it.