Play Book Tag discussion

Archives 2016-2017 > Visiting with Shelfari/GR Member in Real Life!

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments I've had the privilege of meeting a number of you in real life. But, I guess the ones I see most regularly are Anita and Nicole, although until this last trip I haven't seen Nicole since she left D.C.

What a great time I had hanging out with her in Salem! She let me ramble on about history and we went to the House of Seven Gables together as well as took our picture in front of Nathaniel Hawthorne's statue. She got to meet Tracy, which a few of you have done. He was really glad when she arrived because although he really got into the Nathaniel Hawthorne parts of the city even though he's not a reader he could care less about the witch trials and got to sit outside in the beautiful weather while he perused the Peabody Essex Museum, which was unbelievable! On the first day in Salem when I was going on and on about the hysteria he just kept nodding with a blank look in his eyes. He will forever thank you, Nicole!

There's so many more of you I'd like to meet. It is funny, every time I meet one of you in person we talk very little about books. We know so much about each other's lives it is great to catch up face to face and hear what's really going on with each other.

Nicole, thanks for making the trek up. It was good to see you again!

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Sounds wonderful! If any of you are ever in Melbourne Australia I would love to meet.

message 3: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I live right outside of NYC and am always open to a meet up. I have met Nicole D, Regina and Anita. Hope to meet Nicole R one day and maybe Cindy if she ever gets down here to the States or I get up north, which I hope to do at some point.

message 4: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments Susie wrote: "Sounds wonderful! If any of you are ever in Melbourne Australia I would love to meet."

Ha! I will remember that. The way my work schedule goes I may be in Australia, but it is more likely to be Perth!

message 5: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Perth is a tad far for me!

message 6: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments I've had lots of fun with you, Linda! The book festival will always be a favorite memory. I guess Cindy gets the claim of being my on international on line friend I've met.

Others I've met:
Isabel who we kind of lost a while back on Shelfari, but she introduced me to McIntyre
Leah
Susan, who I haven't seen in a longtime
Care

message 7: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments I know Perth is a ways, but it's economy is similar to ours and I just don't see getting Tracy on that hellacious flight. He can barely stand the 10 hours to Europe

message 8: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Regina, thank you so much for inviting me! I have lived very near Salem for going on a decade and needed a little push to finally get up there. I can't imagine a better person to go with :) And, I am still reading A Storm of Witchcraft: The Salem Trials and the American Experience, which I am LOVING. I was just talking to my mom about a potential trip to Houston next year and a stop by your place will be on my list.

Linda, for realz, we need to just bite the bullet and find time to meet! I always think that we have because I feel like we know each other so well with our near-identical reading tastes and admining together. Maybe we could find a Beatriz Williams book signing for her next book somewhere in CT and meet there....

message 9: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments I would be so upset if you didn't include me in a trip down! I'm so thrilled you are loving the read. I felt you would. Can't wait to discuss with your education tract!

message 10: by Ladyslott (last edited Oct 21, 2016 07:02PM) (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Nicole R wrote: "Linda, for realz, we need to just bite the bullet and find time to meet! I always think that we have because I feel like we know each other so well with our near-identical reading tastes and admining together. Maybe we could find a Beatriz Williams book signing for her next book somewhere in CT and meet t..."

I'm available from May until December in NY and RI is not that far from me if I need to go there because I don't work anymore a... Come January I'm available in South Florida - in case you need a break from the cold . I have a spare bedroom and an open door policy - as long as I have a little advance notice.

As an incentive Nicole D comes down here to see her dad - who lives 15 minutes away from me and maybe the three of us can plan a meet-up; I've met her down south before.

message 11: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Regina, I've never been to Perth but I hear it's beautiful. :-)

message 12: by Karin (last edited Oct 21, 2016 07:17PM) (new)

Karin | 7208 comments Do you know that I live less than an hour and a half from Salem but have never been there? I'm not sure why, nor have my kids who were born there. I need to get up there someday.

I live about 20-30 minutes from RI (depending on which direction as some of it is south and some east), and an hour from Boston (due to traffic). In fact, I go to Boston about 30 Saturdays a year because my son plays in an advanced prep orchestra there.

Someday I hope to meet some of you!

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8876 comments We were just in Salem on Columbus Day. What a treat! I loved it. We even brought the dog! It's a great and fun family day, extra fun in this season.

message 14: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7208 comments Amy wrote: "We were just in Salem on Columbus Day. What a treat! I loved it. We even brought the dog! It's a great and fun family day, extra fun in this season."

So you must be in the "neigbourhood" as well!

message 15: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Ladyslott wrote: "Nicole R wrote: "Linda, for realz, we need to just bite the bullet and find time to meet! I always think that we have because I feel like we know each other so well with our near-identical reading ..."

Remind me where in Florida you are, again? I have a good friend in Orlando who has been wanting me to come visit. Two birds, one stone....

message 16: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8876 comments Neighborhood is outside Boston in the beautiful burbs, which while we enjoy sunny Florida, is getting an ass kicking of weather tonight and tomorrow.

message 17: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Nicole R wrote: "Ladyslott wrote: "Nicole R wrote: "Linda, for realz, we need to just bite the bullet and find time to meet! I always think that we have because I feel like we know each other so well with our near-..."

Orlando is about 3 hours North of me. I am closer to Miami (about 1 hour south of me).

message 18: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Ladyslott wrote: "Nicole R wrote: "Ladyslott wrote: "Nicole R wrote: "Linda, for realz, we need to just bite the bullet and find time to meet! I always think that we have because I feel like we know each other so we..."

message 19: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Ladyslott wrote: "Ladyslott wrote: "Nicole R wrote: "Ladyslott wrote: "Nicole R wrote: "Linda, for realz, we need to just bite the bullet and find time to meet! I always think that we have because I feel like we kno..."

I have a house, no fees to stay - with a bedroom and bathroom suite set up. I'm close to the beach and very close to the lively Delray downtown. I also have a pool in my backyard and we have a bigger pool at the clubhouse. You can fly into Palm Beach or Fort Lauderdale. I can pick you up. You can spend time here and then go to Orlando - but you would need to rent a car. And then you can fly out of Orlando back home. Or do it in reverse.

message 20: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8645 comments Ladyslott wrote: "I live right outside of NYC and am always open to a meet up. I have met Nicole D, Regina and Anita. Hope to meet Nicole R one day and maybe Cindy if she ever gets down here to the States or I get u..."

I hope to meet you at some point, as well! It would be great to see you here, but maybe someday I'll get back to NYC, as well!

message 21: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8645 comments Regina wrote: "I guess Cindy gets the claim of being my on international on line friend I've met. ..."

I am still so excited that you came here! :-) It really is beautiful (anyone planning a trip to Banff - I'm just over an hour away!).

It was wonderful to meet you and Tracy, and I agree. I don't think we really talked much about books, did we!?

message 22: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8645 comments I also have a room. The bed is not big, and I only have one bathroom, but if anyone comes by Calgary, Alberta, Canada, you are welcome to stay with me, as well. (Oh, I do also have three cats, though.) I'd love to meet more PBTers!

I have met Regina and some of you will remember Candice (cpauley929) from shelfari. Candice and I did a cruise together in 2009, then met up again in New Orleans for a day before a cruise I did leaving from there in 2011, I think. She's hinted at visiting here at some point, but it hasn't happened yet.

I almost met Linda once (oh, that was just before the cruise I did with Candice, so we almost met her), but the timing didn't end up working out. Care came near or through Calgary once, as well, so we'd hoped to meet up, but for some reason, that didn't end up working out, either.

I know, I'm out of the way for most people, but really, the Canadian Rockies are beautiful! :-)

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments I think the New Yorkers and the Mass/RI people should meet up in New Haven. :)

message 24: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Jennifer P. wrote: "I think the New Yorkers and the Mass/RI people should meet up in New Haven. :)"

As long as it is between June and November I can probably do it. \\

message 25: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments How about book expo? That is in May in NYC this year? I bet a bunch of us could meet up there!

I've met Both Nicoles and Tracy S. I also met another person from the 1001 group when she was visiting from England and now she lives in New Zealand. I love meeting people from Shelfari/Goodreads!

message 26: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Jen wrote: "How about book expo? That is in May in NYC this year? I bet a bunch of us could meet up there!

..."

It depends on the dates. I come back from Florida in May and it's crazy family time with Mother's Day and 6 family birthdays.

message 27: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8876 comments Lady, we enjoyed Los Olas in Fort Lauderdale incredibly much yesterday. Had breakfast at the delicious 0-B, which we loved every morsel of! Last night we went to a rehearsal dinner at Sea Watch, in and then hung out afterward at Lauderdale by the Sea. Today we plan to find another breakfast spot, Segway on the boardwalk, and read a bit more of Gentleman in Moscow. Any other Fort Lauderdale suggestions? Where should we have breakfast?

message 28: by Ladyslott (last edited Oct 22, 2016 07:25AM) (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Amy wrote: "Any other Fort Lauderdale suggestions? Where should we have breakfast?
..."

I live 40 minutes away from Ft. Lauderdale and am only familiar with Las Olas. I also like Chart House (Charley's Crab), it has a lovely outdoor dining area. Ocean 2000 at the Pelican Grand Hotel is supposed to be very good with beach front views - I haven't eaten there yet, its pretty far to go for dinner, but I may go and spend a few days there or at the Marriott Harbor Beach where I have gone numerous times.

I live in West Palm Beach, near Delray Beach and Boca Raton and I am only there for the winter season, I live on Long Island outside of NYC the rest of the year.

message 29: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments The Book Expo sounds fun!

message 30: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6546 comments So fun!!! I have really enjoyed meeting Nicole D, Susan (no longer active), Nicole R (2 or 3 times), Regina (and her handsome, nice husband), and Linda at various times. Nicole R even met one of my sons, lol.

Am annoyed with myself because I didn't realize how many of us are in the Boston area, and had I registered that fact a little better, I could have organized something when I was there in Sept.

At any rate, jealous of what sounds like an amazing trip to Salem! I'd have loved that . . .

What's the date on Book Expo? My kids come home from college in early May (and one is graduating this year), and then it becomes a challenge . . .but if it is the first weekend, maybe . . .

message 31: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments So fun!!! I have really enjoyed meeting Nicole D, Susan (no longer active), Nicole R (2 or 3 times), Regina (and her handsome, nice husband), and Linda at various times. Nicole R even met one of my sons, lol. ..."

I think he's pretty good looking and super sweet!

message 32: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7208 comments Jennifer P. wrote: "I think the New Yorkers and the Mass/RI people should meet up in New Haven. :)"

That could work for me in the summer (which ties in with in between June and November). I have driven past New Haven on I 95 multiple times on my way to my mother-in-law's (she's in NJ).

message 33: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7208 comments Jen wrote: "How about book expo? That is in May in NYC this year? I bet a bunch of us could meet up there!

I've met Both Nicoles and Tracy S. I also met another person from the 1001 group when she was visitin..."

Sounds like fun, but due to those weekly trips to Boston for rehearsals for my son, May won't work. I hope those that go have fun, though.

message 34: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments I'm on the opposite side of the country there so probably no meet-ups for me :(- but I do have to thank Shelfari for meeting two others.

Back in the day, Ange and Bonnie- both not active for a long time (I think Ange was in PBT) and I met up in Portland, OR (at the best bookstore in the world-Powells!). Still keep up with them on facebook, Bonnie happens to live about 15 min from my parents too so we actually ended up knowing quite a few mutual people IRL. It's a smaller world than we realize.

message 35: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments We are planning a return trip to Portland to focus solely on hiking.

message 36: by Karin (last edited Oct 22, 2016 04:51PM) (new)

Karin | 7208 comments Joi wrote: "I'm on the opposite side of the country there so probably no meet-ups for me :(- but I do have to thank Shelfari for meeting two others.

Back in the day, Ange and Bonnie- both not active for a lon..."

Darn. I was in Vancouver BC in July, but didn't have the wherewithall to go south of the border. I was there for 5 nights after visiting my family one ferry ride up the mainland (plus some driving).

message 37: by Book Concierge (last edited Oct 23, 2016 08:05AM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6028 comments One of the Goodreads groups I participate in actually has a "convention" each year. A member agrees to host, makes arrangements for a group rate at a hotel, also arranges one or two tours, makes reservations for a couple of dinners/lunch get togethers. They usually get 7-10 people showing up. With a year to plan it makes it do-able.

I've met up with Shelfari/GR friends a few times. There are three people in the San Antonio TX area that I regularly see when I go there to visit family. I drove down to Chicago to meet with Jen when she was at Book Expo this year. I've met with Llevinso (co-moderator of Who Doesn't Love a Classic? group) a couple of times; once she drove up to Milwaukee to attend a production of Othello with me, and another time we met for dinner in Chicago when I were there on business.

Regina ... you're in Houston area aren't you? Hubby and I will be driving through on our way from Florida to San Antonio around Dec 22 or 23 ... would love to meet even if just for a cup of coffee and a quick bite to eat. And we'll be in Texas for two weeks in May (niece graduates from TCU in Ft Worth / and then nephew graduates from high school in San Antonio) ... we haven't decided on what to do in the 10 days between those two events, but are considering heading for the beach ... maybe Galveston.

message 38: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments Regina ... you're in Houston area aren't you? Hubby and I will be driving through on our way from Florida to San Antonio around Dec 22 or 23 ... would love to meet even if just for a cup of coffee and a quick bite to eat. And we'll be in Texas for two weeks in May (niece graduates from TCU in Ft Worth / and then nephew graduates from high school in San Antonio) ... we haven't decided on what to do in the 10 days between those two events, but are considering heading for the beach ... maybe Galveston.
"

I was in Houston until about a year ago when I moved to Beaumont. But, Beaumont is on-I10 and you should come right though. So, definitely keep me posted on when you will be coming though. Would be happy to meet.

I know you are not new to Texas, but as for your trip in May if you are thinking Galveston because you like beaches you may disappointed. The beach is not a particularly pretty one. The current in the Gulf takes the silt that comes down the Mississippi river and enters in Louisiana in New Orleans. It makes the water look really murky. If you want to go for history that's a different matter. But, I don't know if you will have ten days worth of activities to keep you busy. If pretty beaches are your thing I would look at either Padre (close to Corpus Christi) or South Padre Island. If you want any advice on where to go let me know, let me know where in Texas you've already visited, and give me some ideas of what you like to do on vacation.