Books 'N Booze Book Club discussion

October 2016 > The Historian Follow Up

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary (last edited Oct 21, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

Mary  | 2 comments Mod
Thanks to everyone who came out last night! What a great discussion! Here are the notes I took from our discussion:

* We discussed the benefits of listening to this book through the audiobook versus reading it. The different voices helped keep timelines and characters straight. Some people wish it was cut down, others wouldn’t cut a thing.

* Dracula’s storyline in this book was compared with other horror villains i.e. “It’s like Halloween and Michael, he’s always coming back.”

* The horrors of becoming Dracula’s cataloger were also discussed. It is unclear why it would be so terrible, and one reader wondered if it was because the Dracula’s books were made from people while reading. Also, why does Dracula need someone to catalog his works? One reader pointed out that “He’s a prince – he can’t do menial labor.”

* One reader suggested The Terror by Dan Simmons as a read-alike.

That's it for me. Let us know if you had anything else you wanted to talk about!

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris Laabs Malmberg (the-hat-lady) | 43 comments Started Swan Thieves today! The Terror loaded to iPod!

message 3: by Kyle (new)

Kyle | 60 comments Mod
Awesome, Kris! I love that you're always expanding on the books.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris Laabs Malmberg (the-hat-lady) | 43 comments Okay I love the Swan Thieves I am more than half way done. Written in same style with multiple stories but totally different type of main story. I have no idea where it is going but I am loving getting there.

message 5: by Theresa (new)

Theresa (gossamerchild) | 334 comments Mod
Hey, cataloging isn't mental labor!

message 6: by Theresa (new)

Ha! thanks, autocorrect. I meant it isn't menial work:-D

message 7: by Theresa (new)

Kyle wrote: "Awesome, Kris! I love that you're always expanding on the books."

That's good to hear, Kris. I almost got rid of my copy of Swan Thieves, but definitely will give it another go!

message 8: by Robin (new)

Robin | 21 comments I loved the swan thieves. I hope you enjoy it!