Audiobooks discussion

Book Recommendations > On-line Libraries?!

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melinda (last edited Oct 21, 2016 09:46AM) (new)

Melinda Medlin | 2 comments I am trying to find a on-line audible library that I can pay to have a membership with. While "Audible" the on-line store has memberships, you are paying for one book to keep. I want to pay to borrow multiple books. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know I can also pay for library membership outside of my county but didn't know of one that had a large selection. I am new to the group so be gentle, I am a novice. Let me know your thoughts! :)

message 2: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (ryan_grady) | 54 comments Do you have the Overdrive App?

message 3: by Faith (last edited Oct 21, 2016 09:58AM) (new)

Faith | 441 comments The Fairfax County library seems to have a large selection and I think the fee is $27 annually for out of state residents. They use Overdrive and maybe other services too.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/library/

Also, see this thread

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 4: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (ryan_grady) | 54 comments If so, you can use it to access libraries around the world, all in one app (including your local libraries). You will have to have library cards with the libraries to access their online media (there are some exceptions), but many have inexpensive, nonresident annual fees.

message 5: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (ryan_grady) | 54 comments I drove around my area last weekend and got library cards from all my local libraries (4 in total), so now I can access their online media (kindle, ePub, audiobooks, etc) through Overdrive.

message 6: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Medlin | 2 comments Yea I have Overdrive and get books from my current library. I am mainly looking for either a independent online library or a suggested library that someone else uses that they feel has a great selection.

message 7: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (ryan_grady) | 54 comments I also use Overdrive to get discounts on the Audible site. If the audiobook gives you a discount on it if you already own the kindle version, then you can check out the kindle version from an online library through Overdrive (which temporarily links to your Amazon account), then Audible will think that you own the kindle book, and will give you the audiobook for the discounted price. Then just immediately return the checked out kindle version (or keep it to read for the allotted time).

message 8: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (ryan_grady) | 54 comments Free library of Philadelphia

message 9: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (ryan_grady) | 54 comments Boston Public

message 10: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (ryan_grady) | 54 comments Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh

message 11: by Chrissie (last edited Oct 21, 2016 10:10AM) (new)

Chrissie | 1224 comments Ryan, are these libraries open to those who do NOT live in the US?

message 12: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (haveah) | 106 comments Chrissie wrote: "Ryan, are these libraries open to those who do NOT live in the US?"

Probably not. Each library sets it's own card requirements, based on local and state laws (and their own prerogatives).

Overdrive is available in over 40 countries, though. You should visit Overdrive.com and see if there is a library relatively near you. Once you have the name(s) of the libraries near you- do a Google search to find that library's website. That site should tell you if they accept members outside their area, how to go about getting access, and how much membership is.

Tara Woods Turner | 20 comments Ryan wrote: "I also use Overdrive to get discounts on the Audible site. If the audiobook gives you a discount on it if you already own the kindle version, then you can check out the kindle version from an onlin..."

It takes authors a lot of time and money to produce quality Audible titles for the public. Don't you feel bad doing this?

message 14: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (haveah) | 106 comments Tara wrote: "It takes authors a lot of time and money to produce quality Audible titles for the public. Don't you feel bad doing this?."

It's not like you're downloading the title illegally, off of some torrent site. It's a legitimate Audible offer, based on what you currently have in your personal book library.

message 15: by Faith (new)

Faith | 441 comments Tara wrote: "Ryan wrote: "I also use Overdrive to get discounts on the Audible site. If the audiobook gives you a discount on it if you already own the kindle version, then you can check out the kindle version ..."

Why should anyone feel any worse about doing this than getting the audiobook entirely free from the library? Or buying the audiobook on sale?

message 16: by Tara Woods Turner (last edited Oct 21, 2016 12:17PM) (new)

Tara Woods Turner | 20 comments Faith wrote: "Tara wrote: "Ryan wrote: "I also use Overdrive to get discounts on the Audible site. If the audiobook gives you a discount on it if you already own the kindle version, then you can check out the ki..."

There is a difference. If an audiobook is on sale the author has nothing to do with that decision. If the book is available at the library the author has been compensated accordingly. But when an author's audiobook is purchased at a severely discounted price because of the Whisper Sync provision he at least assumes that his ebook reader has honestly earned the steep discount because he purchased the ebook. So even if he is going to make a fraction of his earnings he feels grateful to his readers. If readers use the provision as a way to game the system it is a little heartbreaking to me as an author. I honestly didn't even know people were doing this so I guess I'm a little wiser now.

Borrowing from the library or getting it on sale is like renting a tux. Grabbing the audio at a steep discount while never having purchased the digital is like buying a tux for an event with the full intention of returning it the next day for a full refund because it 'didn't fit'.

message 17: by Faith (new)

Faith | 441 comments Tara wrote: "Faith wrote: "Tara wrote: "Ryan wrote: "I also use Overdrive to get discounts on the Audible site. If the audiobook gives you a discount on it if you already own the kindle version, then you can ch..."

Another way of looking at it is that in many cases the reader wants the audiobook but not the ebook. Without the Whispersync deal, the reader might not have bought either format and the author would not be paid at all.

message 18: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (haveah) | 106 comments Faith wrote: "Another way of looking at it is that in many cases the reader wants the audiobook but not the ebook. Without the Whispersync deal, the reader might not have bought either format and the author would not be paid at all. "

I agree with Faith. Lots of times- the audio version is cost prohibitive. I could get the digital version for $3.99 and never read it, because I have such limited time to sit down and read. Or- I can find the deal to get the audio version for around the same price and really enjoy the book.

To be honest- I've never done the Overdrive switch that Ryan talks about, but I don't find it objectionable. The fact is- I have a lot more time to listen to a book, than to sit down and read. If I were to buy all my audiobooks at full price from Audible- I'd read MAYBE five books a year. MAYBE.

Tara Woods Turner | 20 comments Faith wrote: "Tara wrote: "Faith wrote: "Tara wrote: "Ryan wrote: "I also use Overdrive to get discounts on the Audible site. If the audiobook gives you a discount on it if you already own the kindle version, th..."

You might be right but it lacks integrity, in my opinion. If it is worth it and you don't want the ebook then compensate the artist fairly for his skill and pay the member price. This is a big part of why artists struggle.

Tara Woods Turner | 20 comments Natalie wrote: "Faith wrote: "Another way of looking at it is that in many cases the reader wants the audiobook but not the ebook. Without the Whispersync deal, the reader might not have bought either format and t..."

But you're calling it a 'deal' and that is not the case. It is clever but it is not honest. Audiobooks are expensive, yes, but so are other nice things in life. We shouldn't just help ourselves to them. This isn't a Les Mis loaf of bread situation. Audible is expensive because it takes professional producers to bring those books to life. Authors have to pay those producers so authors should at least get what's due them.

message 21: by Natalie (last edited Oct 21, 2016 03:26PM) (new)

Natalie (haveah) | 106 comments Tara wrote: "But you're calling it a 'deal' and that is not the case. It is clever but it is not honest. Audiobooks are expensive, yes, but so are other nice things in life. We shouldn't just help ourselves to them. This isn't a Les Mis loaf of bread situation. Audible is expensive because it takes professional producers to bring those books to life. Authors have to pay those producers so authors should at least get what's due them."

We can argue this all day, but let's just agree to disagree. Suffice to say, I usually read series, and if I enjoy one audiobook in the series- I'll usually get the next one and the next one and the next one. And it is unusual for all the books in a series to have a Whispersync discount, so the author will end up with my money anyway.

Tara Woods Turner | 20 comments Natalie wrote: "Tara wrote: "But you're calling it a 'deal' and that is not the case. It is clever but it is not honest. Audiobooks are expensive, yes, but so are other nice things in life. We shouldn't just help ..."

Perhaps but if your mild situation is copied by other Audible listeners eventually it won't be worth it for writers to get their titles produced and quality starts to go downhill, not to mention morale. So yes we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

message 23: by Faith (new)

Faith | 441 comments The ship has sailed on book quality going downhill. I don't feel obligated to pay full price for anything I buy. But I agree with Natalie, that we should just agree to disagree, but as an author you might want to temper criticizing the integrity of readers on a website for readers. That won't sell many books.

Tara Woods Turner | 20 comments Faith wrote: "The ship has sailed on book quality going downhill. I don't feel obligated to pay full price for anything I buy. But I agree with Natalie, that we should just agree to disagree, but as an author yo..."

I'm an avid reader and feel I am just as welcome to have a meaningful, engaging conversation about something we are all interested in, whether or not I am also an author. That's what goodreads is for - book discussions. I have expressed myself with civillity and bookended my statements with the acknowledgement that it is only my opinion. As to you alluding that my sales will suffer...where did that little nugget come from? And for the record, I believe it is clear I am not 'criticizing the integrity of readers'. That is hyperbole. I am criticizing the integrity of a very specific set of circumstances. So. In order to officially agree to disagree I'll wish you a relaxing weekend and be on my way.

message 25: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments FYI, there is more conversation on the topic of online libraries here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 26: by Ann (new)

Ann | 81 comments Melinda does it need to be a library? Because I think that's the way Amazon Prime works, isn't it? Set fee per month and you can read ebooks, listen to audiobooks, and watch movies? I haven't used it myself so am going pretty much on heresay here ...

message 27: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 126 comments Ann wrote: "Melinda does it need to be a library? Because I think that's the way Amazon Prime works, isn't it? Set fee per month and you can read ebooks, listen to audiobooks, and watch movies? I haven't used ..."

No. Only two or three free e-books per month, with an extremely limited selection and no audio.

You might be thinking of Kindle Unlimited - which also has an extremely limited selection.

message 28: by Faith (new)

Faith | 441 comments Amazon Prime members pay $99 per year. They recently added audiobooks as a benefit. They are available on the audible app in the channels section. There are only a few available, but the selection will change. They cannot be downloaded, streamed only.

message 29: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 126 comments Oh, right. The channels. I almost forgot about those

message 30: by Gram (new)

Gram | 1 comments Kindle Unlimited has quite a few free audio books. Those are separate from the channels selections and can be downloaded.