Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Books of the Month, November 2016 - Armada & The Invisible Library, plus a special Sci-Fi Month pick!

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
Our Books of the Month for November 2016 are as follows:

FANTASY: The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman
SCI-FI: Armada by Ernest Cline

And the special pick for the Sci-Fi Month event I organise every November is... Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton!

message 2: by Nic, Wormhole Technician (new)

Nic Margett (enn_eye_cee) | 353 comments Mod
Never read anything by Crichton, even though i've seen so many of the films based on his work, think I'll give it a go!

Borrowed Armada from my brother too, but which one should I read first?!

message 3: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Jurassic Park I highly recommend because I love love love it.

But I also recommend Armada because I'm quoted in the paperback ;)

message 4: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3521 comments Mod
I have a scifi month pile built up . I'll have to track down Armada and Jurrassic park to add to it.

message 5: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Roger | 1984 comments Mod
I've never read Jurassic Park either, think I will give all three books a go this month, need to get through all of this months book first though

message 6: by imyril (new)

imyril JURASSIC PARK. You know the way to my heart. I've not read this in years. Am totally doing a reread & rewatch in the name of SciFi Month. Thank you :)

message 7: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Yessssss, I should re-watch it too! I've read it twice and a third time is more than welcome. As for the film - I've lost count.

I've been looking at all the books we've read as a group that I haven't actually read, and feel like I have a lot of catching up to do :/

message 8: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 387 comments I loved Jurassic Park, I may re-read it next month.

message 9: by Milou (new)

Milou | 486 comments I finished Jurassic Park yesterday :p although the science is prety incorrect at times, I still Loved it. I will def pick up Library. I have been looking for an excuse to pick it up for a while now. I might pick up Armada if i find time. I wasnt too big of a fan or Ready Player One, and my bf says I should read 'Only you can save mankind' first.

message 10: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 390 comments My copy of The Invisible Library arrived in the mail today :) Now I have to figure out where my copy of Jurassic Park is so I can reread it. Such a great book!

message 11: by imyril (new)

imyril Welp, my copy of Jurassic Park has disappeared! Huh.

I can fix this.

message 12: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Quick, hit the charity shops!

message 13: by Lel (new)

Lel (lelspear) | 1749 comments I loved Jurassic park all three or four times I have read it. Crichton was an amazing author. So far I have loved all of his books that I have read. Looking forward to The Invisible Library as well.

message 14: by Shayla (new)

Shayla Haha this is the 3rd month I'm trying to finally participate, but once again the fantasy book of the month has a million people ahead of me in the ebook hold line! I would try to get it from an actual library where things move a bit faster if I weren't in Germany where everything is...in German.

message 15: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new)

Wayland Smith | 2780 comments Mod
Read Armada earlier this year and Jurassic Park back when it came out. Good choices, both. The Invisible Library sounds interesting.

message 16: by Margo (new)

Margo | 912 comments I've had The Invisible Library on my tbr ever since I picked it up for 99p in a kindle deal, so I'm in for that one. Crichton has never my favorite writer and the scifi choice sounds a bit too actiony for my taste.

message 17: by Ty (new)

Ty Wilson (ShatterStar66) | 81 comments I've read a number of Crichton novels and enjoyed most of them, but never got around to reading Jurassic Park. I'm glad to have the excuse to read my thrift store copy now. Armada is also already on my shelf so I'll be reading it as well. I've never heard of The Invisible Library but it sounds interesting so this should be one of those months where I try to get all three choices in. Between that and Sci Fi Month I should be busy. :-)

message 18: by Kaycee (last edited Oct 26, 2016 11:20AM) (new)

Kaycee (oddly_otter) Picked up Armada and it's already seeming to be a fun book. I've heard from some friends and what not who haven't been a fan of this one but so far I'm enjoying it!

I've got Jurassic Park after that.

Then I might be able to get to The Invisible Library after that!

message 19: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3521 comments Mod
Armada arrived in the lost today :-)

message 20: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 150 comments The invisible library sounds really good.

message 21: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 150 comments Paul wrote: "Armada arrived in the lost today :-)"

In the lost and found or you lost it? If you found it in the lost and found thats really good luck.

message 22: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3521 comments Mod
Sorry Phone typo . I meant post

message 23: by Susie (new)

Susie  (susiend104) | 265 comments Guys, where did October go!? My participation has seriously been slacking, and October had some great books! I may try to backtrack to those discussions, but I'm DEFINITELY excited about Jurassic Park and SciFi month, so hopefully November will be a more productive reading month for me. :)

message 24: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Started Jurassic Park first thing this morning :D

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 641 comments I want to read all three of these and yet I'm behind on stuff from last month.
I had best get busy!

message 26: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3521 comments Mod
A decent bit into Armada now. Definitely a proper nerds book.
And I got the Rinn Reads version ;-)

message 27: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Paul wrote: "A decent bit into Armada now. Definitely a proper nerds book.
And I got the Rinn Reads version ;-)"

Yayyyyyyyyy!

message 28: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3521 comments Mod
So much in that four word blurb ;-)

message 29: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Although it's super awesome, there's a line in that specific review that I was proud of, and they literally chose the most generic sounding sentence to feature :P

message 30: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3521 comments Mod
I read the full review so no worries, definitely would have picked another line but maybe they just wanted your prestige attached and the line doesn't matter.

message 31: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Haha, smooth!

message 32: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3521 comments Mod
Some of my best BS ;-)

message 33: by LittleBookDruid (new)

LittleBookDruid | 89 comments When I had watched Jurassic Park the first time I was a small kid. And was terrified of the film for obvious reasons. (my parents didn't had the idea back in the day to forbid us from gory movies)
But I rewatched it a couple of months back and absolutely loved it. Reading the book had been my intention ever since.
As for Armada, I am excited since I have the book and have heard nothing but good things about it.
The name of the fantasy pick had intrigued me ever since I first heard of it. So I found that book first and has started reading it. It's absolutely amazing, I have read only one chapter but already in love.
This month is going to be an interesting one in D&J :D

message 34: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 7 comments I hadn't heard of The Invisible Library & it sounded intriguing & it was available on Overdrive! So, I've downloaded it & am about 30% in. Enjoying it so far. Looking forward to the discussion.

message 35: by Rick (new)

Rick The Invisible Library ebook is $1.99 right now on US sellers. Not sure about outside the US.

message 36: by LittleBookDruid (new)

LittleBookDruid | 89 comments Lucky for me I had all three of these with me when this polling started. ;)
No worries about accumulating them.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.