World, Writing, Wealth discussion

Wealth & Economics > Up in the air

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (last edited Oct 20, 2016 01:38PM) (new)

Nik Krasno | 13489 comments Just rewatched the movie with George Clooney and I kinda can't help asking: what are those fired people (especially 45+) supposed to do?
Jumping off the bridge solves nothing or should there be much better solutions?

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments I don't know but that was a great movie lol.

message 3: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 0 comments Become entrepreneurs? Open their own businesses?

message 4: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13489 comments Zee wrote: "Become entrepreneurs? Open their own businesses?"

That would be best. Sometimes one needs to be fired first to become a bill second-:)

message 5: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13489 comments Any fresh suggestions for those getting sacked in the employment -sensitive period of life?

message 6: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) Been there and done that - ended up as a an independent consultant for 7 years after one redundancy.

message 7: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13489 comments I guess re-employment, biz, anything income generating may turn acute in corona's aftermath. Will there remain enough jobs for everyone?

message 8: by G.R. (new)

G.R. Paskoff (grpaskoff) | 248 comments It has got to be terrifying for many people. I am fortunate to be able to keep working from home and earning a paycheck. But when I first graduated college, I got a job and the economy hit a low point. I was last-in/first-out and got laid off, along with many other people in the region I was in geographically. I ended up searching fruitlessly for a job in a market flooded with more experienced, senior people willing to take a job at a pay cut just to make ends meet. So I ended up going back to school to earn my master's. By the time I graduated the second time, the economy had straightened itself out. But I feel that is not going to be a viable approach for many of the affected people and we will feel the repercussions of the pandemic for a long time.

message 9: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5349 comments We need treatment or a vaccine for the virus, and then we'll see. The job market here is improving.