Old Souls Book Club discussion

Have a question? Ask the group! > Are you a vegetarian/vegan, and, if so, do you feel it has raised your spiritual awareness

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dewin (new)

Dewin Anguas Barnette | 37 comments I have been reading in The Field by Lynne McTaggart, Divine Prescriptions by Doreen Virtue, and other online sources about the vibrational qualities of vegetables and the spiritual effects of vegetarianism/veganism. I am currently a meat eater but am very interested in learning more. McTaggart states that we gain useful light energy by eating vegetables that helps fight against cancer. Virtue says vegetarianism/veganism strengthens one's psychic abilities. And, online I have found that eating meat causes anxiety and general emotional malaise. Have any of you found these statements to be true in your own lives? Also, does anyone have any suggestions for books on the topic?

Thank you!!!

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie | 53 comments Hmmmm...I am not vegan or vegetarian, however, I think of it all the time. I cannot think about what I eat because then I won't eat it. I stopped eating red meat a long time ago and now my body doesn't even know how to process it. My genetic makeup makes it more difficult for me because I need to find high protein sources elsewhere. I'm not saying it's impossible but it's not as easy as one would think.

I would venture to say that the information you've read is probably pretty accurate, just based on the sheer composition of the food and how much less energy it takes for your body to process it. Everything is energy.

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 127 comments Both of your comments are right on. I think we have to learn what works with our body and eat accordingly. I don't eat a lot of meat, and then mostly chicken. I eat fish and dairy products, but light on dairy. I've figured out by trial and error that this is what makes me feel the best and also maintains a normal weight. I love veggies and eat them both raw and cooked. I don't think I could go totally vegetarian because it's so hard to get protein. I liked 'The Field' and think she's onto some theories that make sense and are being proved in labs. I try not to eat out more than twice a week.

message 4: by Saiisha (last edited Oct 21, 2016 06:33PM) (new)

Saiisha | 544 comments Mod
I tend not to talk about this topic, because people seem to get defensive about eating meat - but I agree with all of you - as long as we're comfortable with our own diet, according to our needs, then that's all that matters.

I'm a vegetarian - mostly vegan. I stopped eating meat when I was in 4th grade (took me a few stop-and-restarts) but never since then. I'm small / skinny, but I don't mind it. I don't think I need as much protein as people say we need. I'm ok if I turn out to get sick earlier in life, or die a few years sooner - personally I don't want to corrupt my conscience - that's a decision I've made for myself.

Dewin, as for the "science" of how food affects us - I've been raised on yoga / ayurveda philosophy where there are 3 kinds of diet:

Sattvic (fresh foods, dairy, whole grains, seasonal fruits and vegetables - this diet is ideal for those who are on a spiritual path - and seek to purify their body, and hence their mind and soul, because they're all completely connected. The transfer of energy from eating fresh foods is considered purest in this kind of diet because it's a "direct transfer of energy."

Rajasic (meat, lentils, stimulants like coffee, soda, and spicy foods, such as garlic, pickles, and refined sugars) diet is suitable for those who need this kind of a diet, for example, soldiers or athletes. Indulging in this kind of food may not be suitable for those on the spiritual path because it agitates the body and mind, making them less conducive to meditation, or psychic consciousness, and can also cause hyperactive emotions such as anger, hatred or passion.

Tamasic (meats, fatty foods, alcohol, stale foods, processed foods, and even overeating) diet is not considered healthy for those on a spiritual path because these foods induce torpor, lethargy and obesity, leading to a dullness of the senses, dullness of body and of the spirit.

If you'd like more information about Ayurvedic diets, Perfect Health, by Deepak Chopra (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8...) might be a good start.

Let me know if you have more questions - I'd be happy to answer them :)

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 127 comments Thanks Saiisha for your comments and book suggestion. Ayurvedic diets have been mentioned to me several times by different individuals so I'll check out Chopra's book.

message 6: by Saiisha (new)

Barbara wrote: "Thanks Saiisha for your comments and book suggestion. Ayurvedic diets have been mentioned to me several times by different individuals so I'll check out Chopra's book."

I love how open-minded to learning you always are, Barbara :) I hope you'll find some inspiration in the Perfect Health book!

message 7: by Dewin (new)

Dewin Anguas Barnette | 37 comments Great, thank you all! I will definitely check out Deepak's book.

message 8: by James (new)

James Allen (james_allen) | 73 comments I’ve been vegetarian, most of the time vegan for 7 years. I cannot eat a sentient being who experiences feelings and does not want to die.

I've thought about this subject a lot and I don’t see how I could be on a spiritual path and exploit any living beings. Compassion is central to my thinking and it is not limited to humans and pets.

Plants provide more than enough protein and plant-based diets have been shown through numerous studies to be the optimal to prevent disease.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/m...

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/do-ve...

https://www.facebook.com/PlantBasedDi...

http://www.theveganrd.com/

message 9: by Dewin (new)

Dewin Anguas Barnette | 37 comments Thank you James! And thank you for all the links. This is very helpful!

message 10: by James (new)

James Allen (james_allen) | 73 comments You're welcome Dewin.

message 11: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin | 2 comments Hi there

This is probably a bit late.

I have been following a vegan diet for two months with the intention to make a lifelong change. I have always been a meat eater previously.

Since the change, I have noticed a different kind of energy within me, physically and spiritually. Also, a lightness of heart and ease within myself and more acceptance of the environment in which I exist.

I feel like spiritually, what is happening to me is quite remarkable - I am getting closer to a higher level of consciousness, something I have struggled with for years.

It hasn't happened overnight, but the changes are significant and I undoubtedly believe it is a result of becoming vegan.

I have always been severely intuitive, but since foregoing animal products, something has changed, as if there is a new dimension to my intuition.

I look forward to reading the books you have mentioned.

message 12: by Saiisha (new)

Caitlin wrote: "Hi there

This is probably a bit late.

I have been following a vegan diet for two months with the intention to make a lifelong change. I have always been a meat eater previously.

Since the change..."

Oh wow! This is a cool update Caitlin, because you're letting us know what it's like as you're trying it - as you're noticing the changes as they're happening! Interesting that you're not only recognizing the physical and emotional changes, but also spiritual. Thanks for sharing!!

message 13: by Dewin (new)

Dewin Anguas Barnette | 37 comments Never too late!! This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you sooooo much! I'm really excited for you. I'm glad you were able to make such a big change for your life. That's truly amazing.

message 14: by Ian-Anthony (last edited Dec 02, 2016 11:23AM) (new)

Ian-Anthony Finnimore | 53 comments I'm a meat eater I'm afraid - I admire those who live on a vegetarian or vegan diet but I didn't find anything in it but tiredness.

As a former animal charity worker here in England I regularly saw (still do as the wife still does this) how awfully humans treat other species. Also due to ill health or temperament we often had to euthanize animals.

I have held many closely as they drew their last breath - some have a rush of adrenaline which essentially means needing to restrain them.

As much as I wanted to be principled in my diet I found that for myself I had to realise that I wasn't the farmer that keeps battery hens instead of free range. I didn't keep & slaughter cattle or swine in the same space.

I stepped back & thought of how I would live if not part of a huge society.

I'd keep chickens, certainly I'd fish. I'd have goats or a cow for milk. I'd have crops & I'd use pelts for warmth but only likely that of wolves or foxes that threatened my livestock. There is no way I could honestly take down a cow or buffalo so leather would be off the table & it would be too much work anyway.

I actually eat this diet anyway so I don't know if it's conscious or maybe genetic memory but I do 100% know what taking responsibility for ending a life is - which I doubt most shoppers do.

I desperately wanted Jainism to be the spiritual answer to my dietary conundrum but I saw them allow old animals to die in fear & agony as they did not wish to "interfere" which again as someone who couldn't just walk away until the death was over I know is equally as cruel.

If something is going to die let it be in sleepy peace or one quick strike.

Apologies for the downer but to those who feel guilty about their diet I just wanted to show that you can still be principled by not being excessive or greedy & ALWAYS choosing free range etc.

message 15: by Saiisha (new)

Ian-Anthony wrote: "I'm a meat eater I'm afraid - I admire those who live on a vegetarian or vegan diet but I didn't find anything in it but tiredness.

As a former animal charity worker here in England I regularly sa..."

It's not a downer at all Ian-Anthony - each person must go through this process of reasoning it out for themselves and make their own choices. As you said - this is a very conscious choice for you, and it's not your last choice either - you'll continue to make this choice everyday.

Buddha wasn't a vegetarian, nor did he prescribe it to his followers. Mahavira (the person who Jainism was born after) was a contemporary of Buddha and non-violence was his highest ideal, so his followers try to do no harm, but it's just about impossible.

As a human being, or any being on this planet, it is impossible to go through life without taking another life so we can live - it's only a matter of degree, whether it be plants, microbes, birds or animals.

The sad part is when people go through life unconsciously, or worse, if they close their eyes and mind to making these choices of what they put into their bodies - after all, we are what we eat.