Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [General] > We need a new moderator

Comments Showing 1-50 of 107 (107 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Oct 20, 2016 09:47AM) (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4606 comments Mod
Hello everyone!
Lately, the group has been less active and there seems to be only a few people on here. I understand life gets busy sometimes and also The Prince of Nothing group read seems to have dropped off so we have a few less buddy reads happening. I want to emphasize that you can create your own threads if you want to start a buddy read with someone else even if not a lot of people in the group want to read it.

Another reason I think fewer people are posting is because Scott and I haven't been able to manage this whole group by ourselves. Scott has done so much of the work here while I have been busy, but he can't do everything. So....we are looking for a new moderator!

Obviously, you need to be active in this group to be a moderator. We're looking for someone who is on here regularly who will be active in buddy reads (you don't have to do them all), create some discussion threads for buddy reads and add books to the shelf. If you're interested, comment in this thread and Scott and I will choose someone.

If you don't want to be a moderator, but you have an idea to improve the group, you can head over to the suggestions folder. There have been some great ideas from non-moderators, such as the incomplete series challenge which seems to be the most popular thing in this group right now. If you want to finish some of your series, compare your list with others and read together! :)

message 2: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Also feel free to invite people who you think would be active.

message 3: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Oct 20, 2016 02:05PM) (new)

Angela | 3530 comments Mod
Please move this to suggestions if it's better there.

Do you think it might just feel less active as there are so many buddy reads going on? Plus there is always more activity when a group first starts up. Maybe there is a few people doing each buddy read going on per month, but it really spreads people out on what books they are discussing at any one time?

I know personally that I can't do more than 2 buddy reads in this group per month and other months only 1 due to other groups and reads. Plus on tougher books I sometimes like to have a breather between books so might not be ready to read the next one the following month.

message 4: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Most of the actual buddy reads right now have been more of solo reads. Very few of the reads seem to get any actual chatter about the book until it's over and then it's cursory. I agree things usually start off quick and taper off.

message 5: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2144 comments I expect things are slowing down with the end of the year approaching. For myself I have 5 different challenges I am trying to finish by the end of the year so don't have time to jump into any additional buddy reads.

message 6: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

That does make sense Scott. I've found that especially if for a monthly read when you ended up reading the book more toward the latter half of the month that people don't discuss the book the same as the people who have read it earlier in the month. I guess by that stage people have moved onto other books and no longer really want to discuss the book the same?

Very true as well Bill. I'm on of those serial challenge people. Though I've given up on completing my A-Z challenge before the end of the year. I already moderate another group and I do try to keep up with at least one of the books that we read there in any given month.

message 7: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
I'm not that great at buddy reads.. either blow through the book or drag my ass like a dog (you're welcome). But I do like the informal discussion and that I don't have to vote to do a group read. So I like to lurk on threads where I've already read the series or book.

message 8: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Angela wrote: "Do you think it might just feel less active as there are so many buddy reads going on? Plus there is always more activity when a group first s..."

It could be one of the reasons it seems like there is less activity. Still, it is quite a lot of work for just two people to manage a group, especially when one cannot be super active.

message 9: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Bill wrote: "I expect things are slowing down with the end of the year approaching. For myself I have 5 different challenges I am trying to finish by the end of the year so don't have time to jump into any addi..."

5 challenges?! No wonder your incomplete series challenge is so long!

message 10: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Angela wrote: "Very true as well Bill. I'm on of those serial challenge people. Though I've given up on completing my A-Z challenge before the end of the year.'

Yeah, I've totally abandoned my A-Z challenge.

message 11: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Margret wrote: "either blow through the book or drag my ass like a dog (you're welcome). "

Lol, thanks for that.

"But I do like the informal discussion and that I don't have to vote to do a group read...."

Yes I agree. We do have some voting, but the series we choose are never the only books being read so there is no feeling that you must follow along and read that book.

message 12: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Only 12 people have viewed this thread, but I really hope someone wants to be a mod.. please save me and Scott! You can add a cool title after your name~

message 13: by Eric (new)

Eric | 101 comments What does a mod do? Just make topics and participates?

message 14: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Eric wrote: "What does a mod do?"

They start discussions, add books to the shelf and try to comment fairly often (which is why you have to participate in at least some reads), remind members of upcoming reads, start some new discussions. Of course, anyone is able to do any of these things (except add books to the shelf) if they have something they want to start, but it's more of an obligation than regular members.

message 15: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Oh also we kick people out of the group occasionally and if we do our job right, you never see the reason why they are kicked out because we catch it fairly quickly. It doesn't happen too often though.

message 16: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Oct 20, 2016 07:38PM) (new)

I can be a moderator if you want, though how many buddy reads are you thinking a moderator would need to be reading? I'm pretty active on GR Monday to Friday, but I'm not really on that much over weekends. Thought as I live in the future from most people ;) my Monday is USA/ Europe's Sunday.

I already moderate another group as well. Link to group below if you want to look at the group I moderate. Our title actual relates to a blog I'm in with a few friends.

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

message 17: by Eric (last edited Oct 20, 2016 07:38PM) (new)

Eric | 101 comments What are GR weekdays? Edit: nevermind.... Good reads.... Sorry

message 18: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Oct 20, 2016 07:39PM) (new)

Eric wrote: "What are GR weekdays?"

It's late Friday afternoon and my brain is not working ;). haha I meant Monday to Friday and I've fixed my post.

message 19: by Eric (new)

Eric | 101 comments No you're fine I'm just dumb. I read "GR weekdays" But I realized you meant goodreads on weekdays.

message 20: by Eric (new)

Eric | 101 comments I don't think I'm active enough to be a moderator since my plans are just to read all the cosmere books and then malazan books, and that's going to take a long time.

message 21: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Eric wrote: "No you're fine I'm just dumb. I read "GR weekdays" But I realized you meant goodreads on weekdays."

No your not dumb at all. I was just using my own shorthand for Goodreads. Seriously my brain does pretty much stop working by Friday afternoons. It means wine o'clock is not far away.

message 22: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Angela wrote: "I can be a moderator if you want, though how many buddy reads are you thinking a moderator would need to be reading? I'm pretty active on GR Monday to Friday, but I'm not really on that much over w..."

It doesn't matter how many - just that you sometimes participate. For example, I didn't read The Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne because I didn't particularly like the first book. I didn't read The Dragon Engine because I didn't have time. You don't have to read books you are not interested in or don't have time for. Also, you are reading GotM right now and that is going to take up a huge chunk of your reading time.

I think I'm in a similar time zone as you now. I don't think it matters at all - that's part of having an international site. And it's so interesting to meet different people from all over the world. :)

If you're the only person who wants to mod, this process is going to be very easy. :) If someone else wants to do it, do you still want to? Just asking because you do mod another group.

I'm snooping in your book club. ;)

message 23: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Angela wrote: "It means wine o'clock is not far away."

My favourite time of day.

message 24: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Snoop away. We're not a terribly active group there. Only about 10 of us ever comment. The rest are lurkers.

Yes, I'm happy to moderator, but fine if you want to leave it open over the weekend to see if anyone else wants to do it. If no one else puts their hand up then yes, I would love to moderate here as well.

I know right. I need wine on a Friday. You're only 3 hours behind I think? Is it 1.30pm there now?

message 25: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Angela wrote: "Snoop away. We're not a terribly active group there. Only about 10 of us ever comment. The rest are lurkers.

Yes, I'm happy to moderator, but fine if you want to leave it open over the weekend to..."

Awesome, good to know. :) Just wanted to make sure you're not saying you'll moderate just because no one else will.

It's a little after 12:30 now.

message 26: by Eric (new)

Eric | 101 comments I would like to work to eventually become a moderator, if you need one in the future.

message 27: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Eric wrote: "I would like to work to eventually become a moderator, if you need one in the future."

Will keep that in mind when we need another one.

message 28: by Emma (new)

Emma | 12 comments I might be able to be a moderator...I wouldn't want to over commit though ..but I could have a go..

message 29: by Bajen (new)

Bajen Hi all. I joined the group to get more recommendations of fantasy reads. However I admit I have been overwhelmed by all the book threads and it seems like everyone here has read the first book of every fantasy series. I had also joined up on a buddy read for a standalone fantasy but I lost track along the way. Yhis might not be the place to suggest but may we coul;d start a folder for newbies to fantasy reads like me if there are more that is.. Thanks!

message 30: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Bajen wrote: "Hi all. I joined the group to get more recommendations of fantasy reads. However I admit I have been overwhelmed by all the book threads and it seems like everyone here has read the first book of e..."

Hyperion book 1 starts 11/15
The Demon King book 1 starts 12/15
Promise of Blood book 1 starts 1/10

I also at some time next year starting series for

Low Town
Empire in Black and Gold

message 31: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

I added Angela and Emma as mods. You're both as active as it gets. Feel free to invite people and start reads for books at the top of your pile.

Tracey the Lizard Queen | 117 comments Congrats Emma and Angela!!

message 33: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Congrats to Angela and Emma!

message 34: by Samir (new)

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Congrats to Angela and Emma!

message 35: by Emma (new)

Emma | 12 comments Mwahaha... all that good reads Power might rush to my head!

message 36: by Samir (new)

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments With great power comes great responsibility :)

message 37: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

I feel like setting up a test thread with all matter of obscenities and troll-ness just to see if you have what it takes

message 38: by Emma (new)

Emma | 12 comments I can see I'm going to have to keep my eye on you...

message 39: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Margret wrote: "I feel like setting up a test thread with all matter of obscenities and troll-ness just to see if you have what it takes"

some text

message 40: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Blame Canada Blame Canada! They're not even a real country anywaaaays....

message 41: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

And to that Uncle Whiskeyjack I have only one comeback: Donald Trump

message 42: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Margret wrote: " Donald Trump"

What a hoser, eh?

message 43: by Bajen (new)

Bajen Thanks Scott!

message 44: by Bajen (new)

Bajen Oh! And congratulations to the two new moderators!

message 45: by John (new)

John Compton | 163 comments Thank you, Emma and Angela!

message 46: by Emma (new)

Emma | 12 comments I'm planning to offer up some reading choices and dates tomorrow I will stick to stand alone and first in series so it's easier for people to jump in. Any requests?

message 47: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3984 comments Emma wrote: "I'm planning to offer up some reading choices and dates tomorrow I will stick to stand alone and first in series so it's easier for people to jump in. Any requests?"

How about Thief's Magic

message 48: by Emma (new)

Emma | 12 comments Tammie wrote: "Emma wrote: "I'm planning to offer up some reading choices and dates tomorrow I will stick to stand alone and first in series so it's easier for people to jump in. Any requests?"

How about [book:T..."

When would you be free to read it? I know some people are booked up months in advance.. would you be up for reading it this week, for instance?

message 49: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3984 comments It really doesn't matter when. I don't have a set schedule for reading. And the only buddy read I'm in at the moment seems to have stalled. I'm mostly in the mood for creepy for Halloween right now, but I could read it next week if other people want to. I don't mind waiting for several months either. I noticed this book is on several people's to-read list so I would rather read it when anyone else who wants to read it can.

message 50: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Thief's Magic is on my TBR I'll try to join.

« previous 1 3