Art Lovers discussion

Just For Fun > DIY Art

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather, Moderator (last edited Oct 20, 2016 06:44AM) (new)

Heather | 8353 comments This thread is great for those of us (me) who don't have any idea of what we are doing. And it still looks kind of cool!

message 2: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8353 comments

message 3: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8353 comments

message 4: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8353 comments

message 5: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8353 comments

message 6: by Ruth (last edited Oct 20, 2016 04:03PM) (new)

Ruth | 1897 comments 4 is cool.

message 7: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8353 comments Yes, I like the one, too, Ruth. I thought of several people to whom I could give it as a cool little gift...especially from my UNartistic self!

message 8: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8353 comments

The process couldn’t be simpler: remove the glass from a picture frame. Drop alcohol inks onto the glass, then add rubbing alcohol. Swirl to combine, then light the alcohol on fire. As the inks & alcohol burn, they create beautiful designs.

message 9: by Haaze (new)

Haaze | 131 comments Wow - they look amazing!

message 10: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8353 comments DIY Birch Tree Art

DIY Birch Tree Art Supplies:

Canvas (I used an 18″ x 24″)
Masking Tape of various widths
Acrylic Craft Paint (I used a very light blue and black)
Foam Brush
Old Plastic Card (a credit card or store card works great)

To make your own DIY Birch Tree Art, start by marking off the trees on your canvas using different widths of masking tape. I made my largest tree by overlapping pieces of 2″ tape. If two of your trees overlap, first tape down the tree you want to be in front. Be sure to press down on the edges of the tape to prevent any paint from leaking below.

Paint the background using a sponge brush and acrylic paint. I just used a solid background, but I think it would be fun to try an ombre effect too.

The super, duper top secret key to easy, awesome-looking birch trees: an old credit card!

Squirt out a bit of black paint on your palette (or paper plate). Dip the edge of your card into the paint. Place the edge of the card onto the paper perpendicular to your working surface, and then pushing down on the card, scrape it along the paper.

Practice a few times to figure out how much paint and pressure you need to get the look you want. When you feel ready, move over to your canvas. Use the same technique to paint along the edges of the white spaces we left for the trees.

Where the two trees overlap, paint the back tree first, leaving the tape for the front tree in place. That’s why you see tape in the picture above. At this point you only need tape when two of your trees cross.

Pretty soon you will have a whole forest of birch trees!

http://persialou.com/2015/03/diy-birc...

message 11: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8353 comments In case you haven't noticed, this thread is more for people like me who don't know how to do any art of any kind. But it's fun to do something that looks half-way creative!
Some of these ideas are also fun to do with kids.

message 12: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8353 comments Haaze wrote: "Wow - they look amazing!"

I know! Cool!

message 13: by Heather, Moderator (last edited Dec 19, 2016 04:55AM) (new)

Heather | 8353 comments If you send holiday cards this year, this little trick could be a fun and easy way to decorate the envelopes or even plain wrapping paper for gifts! I use stickers, but that's not very creative. Check this out!

This DIY Bubble Art Is Perfect For Holiday Gifts

Supplies:

Paint
Water
Dish soap
Bowl
Straw
Paper or other product to paint

Instructions:

1. Mix paint, water and splash of dish soap together in a bowl using a straw.
2. Blow through the straw into the mixture to create bubbles
3. Place paper or another material on the bubbles to create a paint pattern; let dry.

Tip: Experiment with different amounts of paint and water to create variation in bubble size and color saturation.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/erinphraner/...

message 14: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8353 comments

(Fun to do with kids)

message 15: by Heather, Moderator (last edited Mar 05, 2017 03:14PM) (new)

Heather | 8353 comments Pressed Flower Wall Clock

Materials
Materials:
Clock
Pressed flowers
Paper
Scissors
Pliers
Hot glue

1) If you’re pressing flowers on your own, you’re going to need about a week’s time for them to be set before you can use them.

2) Once your flowers are pressed and ready, deconstruct your clock. All I needed was a pair of pliers. You may need some other tools, depending on the way your clock was made.

3) Using your clock as a template, cut your paper into the proper shape and size to cover the entire clock face. Cut a small hole in the middle in the same spot as the one on the original clock face. You can choose the color of card stock that you think would go well with your flowers or decor

4) Hot glue your pressed flowers to the paper in any way you please.

You can also add feathers, photos, magazine cutouts, or anything else you can glue – just make sure that the objects lay flat enough that they won’t interfere with the hands of the ticking clock. You could also paint some designs or handwrite your own numbers. Let your creativity guide you.

5) After you’re finished, reconstruct your clock and voila! A unique piece that fits perfectly in your home.

http://blog.freepeople.com/2015/04/di...

message 16: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8353 comments Glitter and Lights Canvas

SUPPLIES & TOOLS

18"x 24" artist canvas
Decoupage medium
Foam brush
Gold glitter: Ultra-fine to coarse
3 pkgs battery-operated LED moon lights: Warm white
Duct tape
Craft knife
Cutting mat
Protected work surface
Ruler

DIRECTIONS

1. Use foam brush to cover entire canvas with layer of decoupage medium.

2. Working 12" from the canvas, dust canvas with glitter. Apply glitter so the bottom is fully covered in glitter, fading into less glitter at the top to create the ombre effect.

3. Apply additional layers of glitter to achieve a thick consistency at the bottom. Mix types of glitters to create dimension.

4. Apply a thin layer of decoupage medium over the entire canvas to seal the glitter. Tip: Ensure base layer is completely dry before applying the top coat to avoid smearing the glitter.

5. Poke a small hole in the back of the canvas with craft knife. Push the tip of the moon light through the hole and secure in place with duct tape. Repeat, adding holes and lights over the entire canvas. Continue the ombre effect by placing more lights at the bottom of the canvas and less toward the top. Apply layers of duct tape to hold lights securely in place on the canvas.

message 17: by Ker Metanoia (new)

Ker Metanoia (kermetanoia) | 33 comments Heather wrote: "
Glitter and Lights Canvas

SUPPLIES & TOOLS."

This is lovely! Thank you!

message 18: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8353 comments I think so too! You're welcome.

message 19: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8353 comments

message 20: by Ker Metanoia (new)

Ker Metanoia (kermetanoia) | 33 comments Heather wrote: ""
Looks very doable! Thank you!

message 21: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8353 comments Ker Metanoia wrote: "Heather wrote: ""
Looks very doable! Thank you!"

No problem! It's something even I think I could do!

message 22: by Ying Ying (new)

Ying Ying (yingyingshi) | 75 comments Heather, this discussion thread has so many fantastically creative ideas! Thank you very much! :-)

message 23: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8353 comments

Materials

-Gallery Glass paint in white, red, blue, and yellow
-Gallery Glass peel and stick lead lining
-Liquid leading in black

Use the peel and stick leading to map out your Mondrian pattern. This is really easy to cut using a butter knife or even your fingernails.

The liquid leading is then used to fill in the gaps between lead lines. You can apply directly from the bottle’s tip.

Once the liquid leading is dry, begin applying the Gallery Glass colors. The bottles have small tips so you can apply directly from the jar. Just be careful not to add to much or it will run.

Then I applied the red, blue, and yellow. Wipe up drips.
After the first coat dried, I added a second coat of each color.

They look great with a candle inside, too!

http://masonjarcraftslove.com/mondria...

message 24: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8353 comments