Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

I. Author Interviews! > Looking for writers to interview

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy Martin | 52 comments I'm heading up a new interview site for indie/self-publsihed authors called the Weekly Writer Feature. Each week features interviews with writers in a variety of categories and genres, and each interview features book covers which readers can click to be taken to the books' Amazon pages. Writers can also provide links to their Goodreads or other social media pages. All interviews go live on Fridays and stay live for a week (after which time they are moved to our archives, so they're always accessible). Main page features (which can be any genre) are $40 USD, but other category/genre features are free.

We're now booking features for October 21 and onward. We also have a Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/weeklywriter...) and a Twitter (@WeekWriFeature) where we post links to the features on our webpage.

To see the list of categories and to sign up for a feature, go to http://www.weeklywriterfeature.com. If you have questions, feel free to message me here at Goodreads or view our Frequently Asked Questions page at http://www.weeklywriterfeature.com/faq.

message 2: by Ben (new)

Ben Jackson | 44 comments Thanks Amy, I'll check it out!

message 3: by J.M. (new)

J.M. Garlock | 41 comments Main page features 40 USD? Really? I hope nobody bothers with this. It's a cheap, obvious hustle.
JM Garlock
"The Centurion Chronicles"

message 4: by Ben (new)

Ben Jackson | 44 comments J.M. wrote: "Main page features 40 USD? Really? I hope nobody bothers with this. It's a cheap, obvious hustle.
JM Garlock
"The Centurion Chronicles""

All the other features are free. Before you rubbish someone, perhaps read through and give it an opportunity.

message 5: by Tim (last edited Oct 19, 2016 10:29AM) (new)

Tim Rees | 39 comments I'll always do an interview! :D

Edit: Wow, I hadn't read the previous comments! Are these guys trying to charge?

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy Martin | 52 comments In response to previous comments, we only charge for main page features--other category features are free. There's a benefit to being on the main page in that readers don't have to click around the site in order to find your feature (although we send out direct links to features to each author so they may use the feature for their own promotional purposes). Plus, main page features are front and center to the readers who find/are directed to our site, and they're live for a week (the category features are live for a week as well, after which point the features are moved to an "Archives" section).

Some book promotion/interview sites charge hundreds of dollars and require a minimum number of reviews or average numbers of reviews, or require that books be priced within a certain range. The business model with the Weekly Writer Feature is to provide a free/low cost place for writers to gain some exposure, particularly when releasing their first book or if they have a book with few reviews.

And, yes--the site is a business. It isn't a personal blog. I didn't realize some people here would find that offensive and wouldn't have posted here if I knew I'd receive the reactions I have.

So, long story long, if you don't want to pay for a feature on the Weekly Writer Feature site, don't. If you don't want a free feature, either, then don't sign up for one. And if you think the site seems like a scam, great--that's your opinion. All I'd ask is that people look at the site and make their own decisions.

message 7: by Tim (last edited Oct 19, 2016 11:42AM) (new)

Tim Rees | 39 comments Amy, you are asking us to provide free original content beside which I assume you will place advertising. That's fine. That's the deal. Your "business" gets original content to attract visitors and your "business" generates an income from the said advertising and we, as authors, get exposure. But to charge a fee for our service of providing interesting, original content is not, for me anyway, acceptable. In fact it should be the other way around as we provide the content to attract visitors, thus generate your income...

message 8: by Ben (new)

Ben Jackson | 44 comments Tim wrote: "Amy, you are asking us to provide free original content beside which I assume you will place advertising. That's fine. That's the deal. Your "business" gets original content to attract visitors and..."

99% of the site is free. You can choose what your category is and they feature your book free. It only costs money if you want your book on the homepage feature.

message 9: by Julie (new)

Julie Gerber | 2 comments Amy, this sounds like a great service. I will share with my clients. Paid placement can work for those that want to invest in their books. I can appreciate that. Usually paid means more visibility and that means a lot to authors trying to build their brands.

message 10: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman Hummm, so for about the price of dinner for two at a burger joint, I can get some publicity on a website visited by people who may not have heard of me. I'm interested. Perhaps it pays to highlight one book and take free services for some of my other books. Spread the wealth, so to speak.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Amy! Just wanted to let you know that I signed up for the free version. Thank you for posting!

message 12: by Doug (last edited Oct 20, 2016 12:53PM) (new)

Doug Oudin | 168 comments Hi Amy,
I also sent you my information. Thank you for your support. @ dougoudin.com
Between Two Harbors: Reflections of a Catalina Island Harbormaster
Five Weeks to Jamaica

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy Martin | 52 comments Tim wrote: "Amy, you are asking us to provide free original content beside which I assume you will place advertising. That's fine. That's the deal. Your "business" gets original content to attract visitors and..."

The site has no advertising.

message 14: by Richard (new)

Richard Risemberg (richardrisemberg) | 7 comments Amy, everybody wants something for free. Me too. But I understand that people need to get paid for their work. That's why we want publicity from sites such as yours. That's why you want to make some money for your work too. I don't find your $40 front-page feature improper in any way. I can't afford it right now, so I signed up for a free inside page, but your fee is reasonable and doesn't bother me. Don't let the whining get you down. Everybody's going through hard times. It makes folks testy.

message 15: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman Amy, expect to hear from my assistant Brit. I will be taking the services for both my son, Michael Phillip Cash and myself. We looked up the interview and have completed it.

message 16: by Brian (new)

Brian Reynolds (brian_reynolds) | 18 comments Amy wrote: "I'm heading up a new interview site for indie/self-publsihed authors called the Weekly Writer Feature. Each week features interviews with writers in a variety of categories and genres, and each int..."

Hi Amy, I just signed up for the free program. One thing though... I placed the dates for the next three Fridays. (To be honest, I wasn't sure what to do there and figured that you'll switch it up to whatever you'd like to do.)

message 17: by Lenita (new)

Lenita Sheridan | 1010 comments Hi Amy,

I signed up, but haven't received the interview questions yet. I signed up a couple days ago.

message 18: by Carole (last edited Oct 21, 2016 11:01AM) (new)

Carole P. Roman I went on the site and looked up other interviews. They were all the same - so I cut and pasted and sent them in.

message 19: by S.A. (new)

S.A. Jeffers | 13 comments I suppose the real question here is the audience value of the $40. If the service has good reach, it's worth it. Anytime you buy any advertising/marketing packages you need to weigh the total audience reach vs. the cost. How much traffic is going to this website? How many email subscribers? How many Facebook likes or followers? Only in this way will you be able to decide if it justifies the investment. New sites take time to build those valuable numbers, so I would just make sure as an author that you are aware of what you're getting. Good luck everyone!