The Sherlockians! discussion

In TV and Movies > Which actor best portray as Sherlock Holmes?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Burrows (thegameisafoot) | 1 comments Jeremy Brett, no contest!

message 2: by Mark (new)

Mark | 1 comments As far as Doyle's Holmes there is no other but Jeremy Brett.

message 3: by Bill (new)

Bill Can I make three choices ?
For me the cinema Holmes is Basil Rathbone, the television Holmes is Jeremy Brett & the modern Holmes is Johnny Lee Miller. But the definitive Holmes is Jeremy Brett who nailed the part even in the first scene of his first episode.

message 4: by Audra (new)

Audra Watts (audrasbookblabbing) I think Benedict Cumberbatch.

message 5: by Asterion (new)

Asterion (Yimsel) | 1 comments Definitely Benedict.

message 6: by J. (new)

J. Rubino (jrubino) My pics would be:
For the classic depiction of Sherlock Holmes: Jeremy Brett
For a take on a young, "pre-Watsonian" Holmes: James d'Arcy (though late in the film A Case of Murder, he and Watson meet)
For a modern Sherlock Holmes: Jonny Lee Miller

message 7: by Kami (last edited Feb 24, 2018 09:13AM) (new)

Kami Bumgardner | 2 comments I just had a conversation about this last night! Benedict is overall the closest to how I pictured and imagined Sherlock Holmes to be when I first started reading these wonderful stories as a student. RDJ is the ultimate "bad-ass" Holmes, who knows exactly how to win a physical fight, by planning it down to the smallest of moves. And finally, Jonny Lee Miller, heart throb that he is brings a delightful sensuality to the role that I don't believe anyone else ever has. He is certainly the "sexy" Holmes, and I love it ;)

Analia Li Fraine | 4 comments I think Benedict Cumberbatch is the best without any doubt 👌

message 9: by Bruce (new)

Bruce Robert Stephens, without a doubt. The most human. And while he had some arrogance and rudeness, wasn't totally heartless as Brett and Cumberbatch are. Also, he and Colin Blakely were closer to the right age than the Rathbone/Bruce and Brett/Burke/Hardwicke Holmes and Watsons were, which is a big factor, especially when it comes to showing Watson as a ladies man.

For present day, Robert Downey Jr is the best. A fighter, badass, and while he has issues with Mary, he's the most loyal friend to Watson.

~TARDIS_Erin~{She~They} Definitely Benedict Cumberbatch. He’s rude and arrogant, but also hilarious. He also does have some human qualities. But then again, I’ve only seen the one with Benedict Cumberbatch, and I’m only just starting the last season. Lol.

message 11: by Barbara (new)

Barbara I don't think there has been a better Sherlock Holmes than Jeremy Brett. He was assisted a lot by the productions, which tried to create authentic adaptations of the stories. The problem came in when he had serious health problems as the series went on but as far as someone who put flesh and blood on Conan Doyle's text, I don't think he has an equal.
I will add, that I liked both Robert Stephens and Christopher Plummer in Holmes movies and that I didn't like Cumberbatch at all.