What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

All Our Yesterdays (Crosswinds, #6)
This topic is about All Our Yesterdays
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Girl returns to Malaysia after being sent England. I read this in the early 90's and it was already an older YA book [s]

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 4 comments I read this book in my early teens and have been trying find it for years. Father sends young girl away from rubber farm during the war. Upon her return she finds she is an outsider due to not suffering the same pains those that stayed did. Her childhood friend (a boy) helped the villagers/prisoners by going night fishing to help keep people fed.

message 2: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
maybe something on this list? https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 3: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16894 comments Was it WWII? Was the girl Malaysian or British?

message 4: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments A stretch but Journey to the River Sea byEva Ibbotson

Snippet of review from School Library Journal Maia, an orphan, is attending a London girls' school in 1910 when she learns she has relatives who live on a rubber farm near Manaus on the Amazon River.

If not, do you remember the cover?
Part of a series?

message 5: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
Moll Meredyth Madcap, maybe? First published in 1913.

""The adventures of a madcap English girl who proves too much of a tomboy for the teachers at her school in England, and so is sent to join her parents on their rubber plantation in the Malay Peninsula."

message 6: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 4 comments This is a single book - set after WW2 but I cannot remember if the war that is mentioned is actually WW2.
The girl and boy are English teens. It reads like a YA sweet dreams book only from the 70s instead of the 90s.
The main issue is the young girl connecting with her father and community after her absence.

message 7: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16894 comments Other Echoes? Doesn't sound quite right though. Are you sure it was Malaysia?

message 8: by Ayshe (new) - added it

Ayshe | 4162 comments This may not be the book (I can't find mentions of Malaysia or war), but as it fits some of the points: Moonflower - Mebane Holoman Burgwyn?
(Values: Family relations; Value building; Growing up)
Julie Hudson had drifted into college and through her first three years with no more definite interest in life than a rather vague and unformed liking for art. Just before the end of her junior year her father lost all of his money and the family were forced to move from their home in the city to a nearby farm, which was the only property they were able to save. By the time Julie returned from college the other members of the family had made the adjustment to the new life and were liking it. At first Julie felt left out and as if she were no longer a member of the family circle, but in time she found her place and, through her art, began to discover a real focus for her life. The story is primarily one of Julie's growing understanding of herself but there is also a romance angle to satisfy the current demand for love stories.

Bulletin of the Center for Children, University of Chicago

message 9: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 4 comments Found!
All Our Yesterdays by Stuart Buchan
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

Awesome!!
thanks everyone.

message 10: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16894 comments Glad you found it! :)

message 11: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16894 comments All Our Yesterdays for the link.