Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Questions > Please can anyone help me how to change the first letter of author name or titles on bookshelves from lower to capital letter?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7029 comments This is a GR Feedback group issue, but that said, that is how GR shelves work. You will probably find threads in the Feedback group about it

message 2: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (librarianryan) | 4 comments List the titles, and I can change it.

message 3: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (librarianryan) | 4 comments Paula wrote: "This is a GR Feedback group issue, but that said, that is how GR shelves work. You will probably find threads in the Feedback group about it"

Never mind, I read your question wrong. that can not be changed.

message 4: by Werner (new)

Werner | 90 comments Is this a Feedback group issue only because the problem was on a member's personal shelves? I've encountered the same problem with the Goodreads entry for the book A Casebook on Henry James's The Turn of The Screw. It gives the editor's name as "gerald willen." (He does not, like some writers, affect lower-case letters in signing his name; it's capitalized on the book itself.) On two occasions in the last few days, I've attempted to correct this typo; but both times, the program refused to accept the correction.

message 5: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments #6 Yours is not the same problem. The OP was talking about the names of the shelves themselves.

This is an author name added incorrectly. There were several books under 'gerald willen'. I have now corrected the author profile, which corrects the name on all the books.

The reason you couldn't change it on the book itself, is because the other books still had the 'gerald willen' name and the system doesn't accept a new name that is too close to an existing one. It will default to the name already in the database.

message 6: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 20820 comments #6 Werner wrote: "Is this a Feedback group issue only because the problem was on a member's personal shelves? I've encountered the same problem with the Goodreads entry for the book [book:A Casebook on Henry James's..."

Librarians can correct non capitalized book titles and author names (unless it is a GR author profile).
I've capitalized the title, publisher and format for this edition of the book that you linked: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

You are not a librarian; that's the reason you can't make these changes. (GR authors have limited librarian function, only for their own books).

message 7: by Werner (new)

Werner | 90 comments Thanks, lethe!

Arenda, as far as I know, I am a Goodreads librarian (which is why I'm in this group). I've been functioning as a librarian since 2008, and this is the first time any of my edits to a book description weren't accepted. At this point, I'm inclined to think that lethe's explanation is the more accurate one.

message 8: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments Yes, I saw other edits by you in the book's changelog.

It is unusual though, since you are a Goodreads author. Authors seldom get full librarian privileges :)

message 9: by Werner (new)

Werner | 90 comments lethe wrote: "Yes, I saw other edits by you in the book's changelog.

It is unusual though, since you are a Goodreads author. Authors seldom get full librarian privileges :)"

I'm primarily a reader, and only secondarily an author, so maybe that has something to do with it. :-) It's been so long since I became a Goodreads librarian that I honestly don't remember any more exactly how it came about.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.