The Not a Book Club Club discussion

A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
This topic is about A Closed and Common Orbit
Wayfarers > ACACO: Part 1: Drift

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
Section 1

Please keep all discussion and speculation to the events of Part 1: Drift.

No spoiler tags required. Though it would be highly appreciated if you Uncheck Add to my Update Feed to avoid accidentally spoiling things for your good read friends.

Please do not discuss events from later sections. Referring back to events from a previous section/book is fine.

message 2: by Lindsay (last edited Oct 22, 2016 04:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lindsay | 545 comments Drift is a good name for this section.

Lovelace finds herself in Port Coriol with Pepper and Blue, and she feels adrift and struggles to adapt to her new circumstances. I thought it was really clever how through much of the book she refers to the kit in the third person. There's herself and the kit. The kit does things, and even though those things are designed to reflect the host AI's internal emotional state, she still refers to "involuntary" expressions as something that the kit does.

As for Jane 23, how utterly horrible. As warm and welcoming as the universe of the Wayfarers is written, Chambers certainly has a gift for the dark.

message 3: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
Well I'm even slower than normal on this one. I started it over a week ago, but this section is very long and I got busy, including a road trip this weekend and only finally finished it last night.

Then I forgot to post here. Oops.

Anyways, this section is a bit of a bummer. I don't mean it's bad, but both stories are pretty sad.

I was sad when the tattooing went so badly and she seems to have lost a possible friend as a result.

I never really picked up on the cleverness of "the kit" stuff, but your right. Thinking about it now that does add an interest aspect to her narrative.

And Jane 23 as you said, dark. What a horrible childhood. I'll be curious to see how we get from that to where Pepper is today. I can see why she's so intent on doing right by Lovelace though.

I really hope she finds Owl before the book is over. The last forum (or whatever that's supposed to be) post seems to indicate she's been trying to find the shuttle she grew up in for some time.

Suzanne | 1582 comments I really liked the whole limitations of the kit - things that as humans we wouldn't even think of as limitations.

And yes the Jane story was dark, but I loved it. I really liked both of the storylines - I'm not sure if I could pick a favorite.