Predictions! discussion

The Hammer of Thor (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #2)
This topic is about The Hammer of Thor
Released > The Hammer of Thor: Discussion

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Ok so I'm still midway through reading this book, but I thought some of you may appreciate a thread where you can discuss spoilers! So to be clear, this thread will have spoilers for the WHOLE book!
Personally I've been spoiled for the last line... something about Percy? I'm not too mad, it mainly just made me want to read it more. Also, apparently the next book is called The Ship of the Dead!
So if you've read the book, what did you think?

hannah pachet I loved this book so much! When I read the sword of summer I got a bit bored, but the hammer of Thor had my attention the whole time. Do you guys think Percy is going to actually go on the sailing trip in the next book, or just give pointers?

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Hannah wrote: "I loved this book so much! When I read the sword of summer I got a bit bored, but the hammer of Thor had my attention the whole time. Do you guys think Percy is going to actually go on the sailing ..."

I've finished the book too now!! I actually really, really enjoyed it. I agree, somehow I liked it more than the last one, though I was expecting to find it worse, I genuinely really liked it. Samirah especially is awesome.

I'm so excited about the next book now! I personally think Percy is only going to give pointers, or perhaps just go the beginning way with Magnus, almost certainly not the whole way. He'll probably feature in the beginning and then reappear briefly at the end for the celebration after the victory.

The reason for me saying that, is because I can't see Percy (and Annabeth) going on another voyage, because the last one was hard enough for them. Also, if they went on the voyage that would pretty much make them main characters, and I don't think Rick wants that since this is a Norse series. But I could be wrong! What do you think?

Aarnav Gupta | 9 comments I'm not sure how I feel, but whatever it will be, it'll be awesome. I'll love it if Percy & Annabeth are the main characters. And, I'm pretty sure the Ship of the Dead will be as good as The Last Olympian, if not better. Check out more here: Hammer of Thor review:
http://aarnavgupta17.blogspot.com/201...

Arch | 248 comments Mod
It would be cool if Percy and Annabeth were main characters but I don't think they will be, it just doesn't seem likely!
I definitely have high hopes for the Ship of the Dead, Hammer of Thor was much, much better than expected so I'm hopeful!

hannah pachet Yeah I think if Percy does end up coming along for the entire boat ride, the bad guys will just Norse-freeze him all the time like "why'd you bring him? We don't like his kind" and he'll be like Jason, knocked out in all the fights. I also don't think Percy is going to be in anyway the "hero" of things—he might suggest something and Sam will get a brilliant idea from it that will lead them to defeat the monster.

I do want to see Percy complaining about giants, though. And everyone amazed at how seaweed-brainy he can be.

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Hannah wrote: "Yeah I think if Percy does end up coming along for the entire boat ride, the bad guys will just Norse-freeze him all the time like "why'd you bring him? We don't like his kind" and he'll be like Ja..."

Agreed, though that sounds pretty funny! Rick could probably mine a lot of humour out from the greek/norse situation, especially considering how sarcastic both Percy and Magnus are. Percy complaining about the norse myths, much like he complained about Apollo, is pretty likely I should think!

Also, I can imagine Magnus being slightly surprised at first because Percy's meant to be really powerful, but he can seem like a bit of a... well, seaweed brain. But I imagine he'd soon show them why he's such a big deal :)

Paridhi (apparitionnow) Arch wrote: "Hannah wrote: "Yeah I think if Percy does end up coming along for the entire boat ride, the bad guys will just Norse-freeze him all the time like "why'd you bring him? We don't like his kind" and h..."

yes! And percy and magnus have some glaring differences, Like Percy loves blue and magnus hates blue, we have the pen sword vs the talking sword, we have a yankees fan vs a red sox fan. So basically I'm excited for a little fights or eyebrow raising too!

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Paridhi wrote: "Arch wrote: "Hannah wrote: "Yeah I think if Percy does end up coming along for the entire boat ride, the bad guys will just Norse-freeze him all the time like "why'd you bring him? We don't like hi..."

That's a nice dynamic!!! It would be really fun to see that. I can't help think that Percy would either be:

a) trying super hard to get on with Magnus because this is Annabeth's cousin, her family, and he's super nice and friendly and helpful and make an all round good impression

b) or he would be kinda slightly wary?? Because Magnus has only just re-entered Annabeth's life and he's already put her through emotional turmoil eg. through his funeral, and he's sort of pulling them into another world?

I'm not sure how it would go, I think either way would be interesting, though perhaps (b) more than (a). What do you think?

Reyna~I've gotta be on my own~ | 56 comments Okay I totally loved this book and way more than I thought I would!!! For some reason I've been doubting Rick lately but of course every time I do he blows me away lols. Anyways my biggest question really is what is Hearth's confrontation with his father going to look like in the next book when he has to retrieve the empty cup runestone? How insane is his father gonna be in three months if we already saw how insane he was in probably less than a hour? How will Hearth react? I'm so unsure and my favorite character is Hearth so I'm just kinda curious what you guys think?

message 11: by Arch (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Reyna~Would it really kill you if we just kissed?~ wrote: "Okay I totally loved this book and way more than I thought I would!!! For some reason I've been doubting Rick lately but of course every time I do he blows me away lols. Anyways my biggest question..."

Same!! Like honestly that's exactly how I felt. I'm going to be honest I wasn't really that excited to read the book... I just wasn't feeling it... and then I ended up absolutely loving it. I don't even know why it was so good, it just worked? And the ending was great haha

That was definitely an amazing scene, and honestly I really like Hearth now, this book definitely made him stand out as a character for me. His back story was so sad :(

I think his father... I'm not sure what's going to happen. It's interesting because Hearth is going to have to go back, but yeah I think by the time he goes back his father will have tipped over to insanity. So when they return, he will be a full blown villain, no restraints. That's what I think, what about you?

Reyna~I've gotta be on my own~ | 56 comments Arch wrote: "Reyna~Would it really kill you if we just kissed?~ wrote: "Okay I totally loved this book and way more than I thought I would!!! For some reason I've been doubting Rick lately but of course every t..."

I know the only thing that really got me yearning to read this book was mid-November when I read that Alex Fierro was gender-fluid cause that got me a little interested in how Rick would handle that. I'd say he handled that well and Alex was overall just awesome in her own right!

But anyways back to the point yes sooooooooooo sad he's just gone through so much hardship I really feel awful for him and just want to give him a hug XD but yeah that makes sense about the villain-ness maybe Loki will influence him to help him? I'm not too sure but we definitely are not seeing the last of him -_-

And another question now that my mind is buzzing about Alex. Do you think that Magnus and Alex are going to happen? I mean its pretty obvious throughout the book that Magnus is attracted to her with all his staring and pondering about her, including how she reminded her of his mom. Also him instinctually acknowledging Alex as a he in the last chapter and knowing when he changed back to a she. Alex just acted so shocked like no one had done that before so does that show some connection? Seems to be too many coincidences for it not to happen next book and because its the last book. I wish this was a longer series :((((

message 13: by Arch (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Reyna ~ Hate to see you like a monster so I run and hide ~ wrote: "Arch wrote: "Reyna~Would it really kill you if we just kissed?~ wrote: "Okay I totally loved this book and way more than I thought I would!!! For some reason I've been doubting Rick lately but of c..."

Yeah, I agree. I really felt for Hearth in this book :( Loki being involved with the father subplot is something I hadn't considered... it would actually be a nice twist!

I think Magnus and Alex are most likely going to happen. Rick laid so many hints and it was pretty obvious, so I don't see it as stretch if it happens. I like that it didn't happen in this book, or wasn't even explicitly mentioned in this book. This is the kind of slow build relationship we haven't read about since Percabeth in the PJO series.