The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

FALL CHALLENGE 2016 > 50.1 - Maya's Task: We've Been Here Before...Or Have We?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Oct 16, 2016 02:50PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4543 comments Mod
50.1 - Maya's Task : We've Been Here Before...Or Have We?

This season of SRC is officially my fourth time participating! It's so strange to be here, making this task for you. But it's also my first time getting a task so high in points! In honor of this, I'd like to send you on a little scavenger hunt - all in the spirit of looking through the books you want to read to find ones that fit!

Read three books, one from each book set selecting either A or B.
Required: Identify the options when you post.

All three books together must equal at least 900* pages.

BOOK ONE : Sometimes, It's Easy

A) Sometimes, you might wish really hard that something can be found during the scavenger hunt - for example, a rock that's shiny - and then find so many of them that it's hard to choose just one!
READ A BOOK that fits any other task or task option from the Fall 2016 Season. This CANNOT be a book that fits any "book of choice" task or option, e.g., 5.10, 30.1 option 5, etc.
Required: Identify the task and option used and include any of the task's required elements.

OR

B) Sometimes, the things you're looking for are right in front of your eyes, if you only take the time to look.
READ A BOOK with a main page genre of "Adult". The genre tag is limited to "Adult" and does not include other genres containing the word.

BOOK TWO : Sometimes, It's Hard

A) When you're going on a scavenger hunt, the main thing to remember is that sometimes you overlook something obvious in a place you've already been. Maybe you should look harder?
READ A BOOK from a series that you have read a book from this season already and successfully claimed for a Fall 2016 task. The book must be identified as part of a series in the Goodreads metadata.
Required: You must link to the post #* that you claimed that book in when you submit this task. *how-to instructions in post 4.

OR

B) Sometimes, no matter how hard you look, it's ridiculously hard to find items on your scavenger hunt. I mean, how hard is it to find a peacock feather? Really!
READ A BOOK with Detective, Medieval, Alternate History, OR Amazon as a main page genre.
Required: Identify the main page genre.

BOOK THREE : Sometimes, It Gets Done

A) Is there any better feeling than completing a long, terrifyingly hard scavenger hunt?
READ THE BOOK that has been on your Goodreads TBR shelf the longest.
Required: Tell us the date you added it to your TBR!

OR

B) There's just no way that you'll be able to finish that list. Who can seriously expect you to be able to do ALL of those things and still be able to sleep?
READ A BOOK that you've tried to read before but did not finish. This must be a book that you have seriously attempted to finish not just a false start.
Required: Explain how your choice fits the task.

*NOTE: ebooks without a print edition cannot be used for tasks requiring a specific number of pages. If you read an ebook, listen to an audiobook or read a Large Print edition use the page count for the mass market paperback if one exists. If there is no mass market paperback edition, use the paperback edition and if no paperback is available use the hardcover edition. See the rules for the complete method.

message 2: by Maya (last edited Oct 17, 2016 08:09AM) (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments this is for books that are okay

Book One:
The Elephant Tree : Adult MPG

Book Two:
1636: The Chronicles of Dr. Gribbleflotz : Alternate History MPG

Book Three:

message 3: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments this is for books that arent :(

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4543 comments Mod
This help thread is open!

To link to a specific post in a thread. Locate the post. Click on the date/time stamp above the post on the right in the shadowed header. Copy the url.
You are not required to use the html code, but directions for forming links are above the posting text box: (some html is ok)

message 5: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1692 comments This looks like fun.

For Book Two, Option B, can the genre be embedded?
I would like to use 1636: The Chronicles of Dr. Gribbleflotz which has Science Fiction > Alternate History as a main page genre.

message 6: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments Julia wrote: "This looks like fun.

For Book Two, Option B, can the genre be embedded?
I would like to use 1636: The Chronicles of Dr. Gribbleflotz which has Science Fiction > Alternate History a..."

Yes, that's fine! And approved for genre :)

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7586 comments nice task Maya

for 3.B. could it be a book we started reading for SRC, that we never finished (ran out of time and then got distracted) - I was thinking of a book from a couple of seasons ago that I started but never finished

message 8: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1352 comments Can you lock in The Elephant Tree as having main genre "Adult"? Thanks. Hoping to use it in 1B.

message 9: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments Dee wrote: "nice task Maya

for 3.B. could it be a book we started reading for SRC, that we never finished (ran out of time and then got distracted) - I was thinking of a book from a couple of seasons ago that..."

As long as you gave it a good try, it'll qualify! And thanks, Dee! :D

message 10: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments Deborah wrote: "Can you lock in The Elephant Tree as having main genre "Adult"? Thanks. Hoping to use it in 1B."

Approved for genre!

message 11: by Marie (UK) (last edited Oct 17, 2016 12:02PM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2476 comments Maya the series book does it have to be numbered after the one you have already claimed or can it also be before?

I am thinking i used Clamped On Murder but could use "A veneer of Murder"

message 12: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments Marie wrote: "Maya the series book does it have to be numbered after the one you have already claimed or can it also be before?"

It can be before, just make sure you've claimed the other one first

message 13: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2476 comments Maya wrote: "Marie wrote: "Maya the series book does it have to be numbered after the one you have already claimed or can it also be before?"

It can be before, just make sure you've claimed the other one first"

i love you even more now Maya

message 14: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments YAY!!!! :D

message 15: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3669 comments Re: Option 3A ... I don't keep my TBR in Goodreads ... but in an excel spreadsheet. Don't have dates I added books, though I can guess at something that's been on there a LONG time (like from the 1980s)

Would that work?

message 16: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) What does the genre Amazon mean? I've never seen that one. Thanks.

message 17: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Re: Option 3A ... I don't keep my TBR in Goodreads ... but in an excel spreadsheet. Don't have dates I added books, though I can guess at something that's been on there a LONG time (like from the 1..."

That's perfectly fine! As long as you have a general idea that it's been on your TBR the longest, that works fine for me.

message 18: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments Pam wrote: "What does the genre Amazon mean? I've never seen that one. Thanks."

It's usually on a lot of self-publicated things.
Examples :
To Catch a Bad Guy
Be My Love
Irreparable Harm

message 19: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Can I get genre approval of "Adult" for The Comet Seekers please?

message 20: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments Pam wrote: "Can I get genre approval of "Adult" for The Comet Seekers please?"

Approved for genre!

message 21: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Thanks Maya wrt both of my questions!

message 22: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 546 comments Would 1215: The Year of Magna Carta work for Medieval? The genre is embedded.

message 23: by Trish (last edited Oct 18, 2016 06:55AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2495 comments Just double checking that for your Option 1 it would be okay to use one half of task 15.1 From A… to Z. I'm thinking of reading A Scone To Die For, which would qualify for 15.1 Book A (Read a book whose title begins with the letter “A”), but I'm never sure if 15.1 and 15.2 follow the usual "option" rules.

message 24: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments Kathy wrote: "Would 1215: The Year of Magna Carta work for Medieval? The genre is embedded."

Approved for genre :)

message 25: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments Trish wrote: "Just double checking that for your Option 1 it would be okay to use one half of task 15.1 From A… to Z. I'm thinking of reading A Scone To Die For, which would qualify for 15.1 Book..."

Yep! That's perfectly acceptable. :D you should be good to go.

message 26: by Trish (last edited Oct 18, 2016 02:01PM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2495 comments Maya wrote: "Trish wrote: "Just double checking that for your Option 1 it would be okay to use one half of task 15.1 From A… to Z. I'm thinking of reading A Scone To Die For, which would qualify..."

Cheers.

SRC Moderator wrote: "To link to a specific post in a thread. Locate the post. Click on the date/time stamp above the post on the right in the shadowed header. Copy the url. You are not required to use the html code, but directions for forming links are above the posting text box: (some html is ok) "

I never knew this. Thanks for the tip!

message 27: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2476 comments Brownie Points For the third book i have this book

i started it for a challenge a long while ago - then found something quicker and never got back to it would this work?

message 28: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments Marie wrote: "Brownie Points For the third book i have this book

i started it for a challenge a long while ago - then found something quicker and never got back to it would this work?"

As long as you gave it a real try, it'll work

message 29: by Tara (new)

Tara | 27 comments For book 1 option A .... Where it fits another task. ... Do we have to have already completed the task?

For,example, I have a book that fits 5.4. I have not claimed it (or any other book) for that task yet. Can I slot that book into book 1 option A instead? Or do I need to have already used that task before using it for this task!

Oh boy, I hope that makes sense....

message 30: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments Tara wrote: "For book 1 option A .... Where it fits another task. ... Do we have to have already completed the task?

For,example, I have a book that fits 5.4. I have not claimed it (or any other book) for tha..."

If'n you wants to! As long as it fits the task, that's all I care about. :)

message 31: by Tara (new)

Tara | 27 comments Maya wrote: If'n you wants to! As long as it fits the task, that's all I care about. :) "

Ok, great ...thanks!

message 32: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7586 comments Sweet Addiction - for adult (i'm having a horrible time with genres disappearing)

message 33: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments Dee wrote: "Sweet Addiction - for adult (i'm having a horrible time with genres disappearing)"

Verified for genre! You're good to go. :)

message 34: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments Wayne wrote: "I have 14 books that I added to my TBR list on my first day as a Goodreads member that I still haven't read yet. Can I choose whichever one I want to read for option 3A (provided it gets me to 900 ..."

Absolutely! Any one of those would work.

message 35: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2278 comments Maya wrote: "Marie wrote: "Maya the series book does it have to be numbered after the one you have already claimed or can it also be before?"

It can be before, just make sure you've claimed the other one first"

ummmm..... but there's page count requirements, right? and the rules say that you can't use ebook only for page count tasks :(

message 36: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments Catherine wrote: "Maya wrote: "Marie wrote: "Maya the series book does it have to be numbered after the one you have already claimed or can it also be before?"

It can be before, just make sure you've claimed the ot..."

Exactly. Sorry love. :(

message 37: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2278 comments Maya wrote: "Exactly. Sorry love. :( "

it's not me you need to apologise to, but Marie :(

message 38: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments Oh no! Did she not catch that? :(

message 39: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2278 comments Maya wrote: "Oh no! Did she not catch that? :("

I dunno - she's still in foreign climes with limited laptop power I think. Flag up to her, just in case?

message 40: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15880 comments Mod
Please verify "Adult" as a main page genre for Crosstalk. thanks!

message 41: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments Sandy wrote: "Please verify "Adult" as a main page genre for Crosstalk. thanks!"

Verified for genre AND on my TBR

message 42: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15880 comments Mod
Maya wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Please verify "Adult" as a main page genre for Crosstalk. thanks!"

Verified for genre AND on my TBR"

I just got it from the library - as a huge Connie Willis fan, I can't wait to read it!

message 43: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1549 comments Hi Maya
I know you haven't specifically allowed graphic novels for this task, but I was wondering if we could use one for option 1a, assuming that the original task allowed it.
Thanks

message 44: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments Meg wrote: "Hi Maya
I know you haven't specifically allowed graphic novels for this task, but I was wondering if we could use one for option 1a, assuming that the original task allowed it.
Thanks"

Unfortunately, that restriction is for all books in this task. I'm sorry!

message 45: by Christine (new)

Christine | 712 comments For Book 2-B, could you confirm The Canterbury Tales for the Medieval genre? Thanks!

message 46: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments Christine wrote: "For Book 2-B, could you confirm The Canterbury Tales for the Medieval genre? Thanks!"

Genre confirmed!

message 47: by Kim (new)

Kim Anderson (kimmatski) | 204 comments Can you please verify The Girl with All the Gifts for MPG of "Adult?" Thanks!

message 48: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments Kim wrote: "Can you please verify The Girl with All the Gifts for MPG of "Adult?" Thanks!"

You're kosher, OG!

message 49: by Kim (new)

Kim Anderson (kimmatski) | 204 comments Thanks, pal! Kisses!

message 50: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1736 comments Would Precious and Grace work for Book 2, B?

« previous 1