Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

XI. Misc > Books with alternative sequels

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by James (new)

James Shipway | 3 comments Hi, this is a general question for everyone. Does anybody know of any books that have alternative sequels? By this I mean different sequels to the same story (much like the highlander film sequels 2&3). I know it's kind of done by marvel comics with the What If storylines, but are there any actual novels that do this? Either by the original author or another? Thanks James.

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago There have been quite a lot of Jane Austen sequels. Just off the top of my head:
Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James Pemberley by Emma Tennant

message 3: by Spark (new)

Spark D'Ark (sparkdark) | 9 comments My book could be stopped at each chapter but it goes on changing the previous ones. And of course the sequel will change the previous. I don't know if it's your cup of tea but you could give it a try. It's free on kindle unlimited and the audiobook is free on youtube.

UK -> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Janus-Quadri...
US ->http://amzn.to/2fapern

Audiobook -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIcpl...

Janus Quadrifrons is a dark mind game written in order to manipulate your perception of Human Identity, Self Awareness,Freedom of Choice, Reality and Time.

Janus has the ability to connect with other people's conciousness. Alex enhances that ability at a secret, dystopian laboratory using genetic engeneering, quantum mechanics and advanced technology in order to bend Reality and Time. Mark is a doctor who maintains the balance between Janus and Alex.
Each one of them is on a quest for his own personnal "Happy Ending" while both "Happy" and "Ending" are deceitful.

message 4: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2189 comments I've never heard of such a thing lol. Why devote a whole book to a what if or alternate when you could just write one book with alternate endings?

message 5: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 138 comments Justin wrote: "I've never heard of such a thing lol. Why devote a whole book to a what if or alternate when you could just write one book with alternate endings?"

I would imagine that you would need to write an entire alternate novel if you had developed an entire alternate continuity that goes well beyond an alternate ending.

message 6: by James (last edited Mar 26, 2017 08:56AM) (new)

James Shipway | 3 comments Hi folks, sorry for the late reply. Thank you for your comments on what I thought to be an interesting subject.

Does anybody feel that two or more alternative sequels to a cliffhanger ending entirely negates the point of the cliffhanger? Or would it be a positive thing? Simply allowing the reader to follow their interpretation of it.

For instance, the film 'The Italian Job' ends with the bus hanging over the edge of a cliff, balancing with the stolen gold at one end and robbers at the other. Would two seperate sequels to this film be a benefit to viewers or not? One in which the coach falls down the cliff and another where the robbers secure the gold and manage to get away safety.

Thanks again James.