Into the Forest discussion

Previous Group Read Nominations > Group Read Theme Nominations Nov 15-Jan 14

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jalilah (last edited Oct 15, 2016 05:26PM) (new)

Jalilah | 4282 comments Mod
It is already time to nominate the theme for the November 15-January 14 group read!
The theme can be a particular tale or myth, a geographical area, a mythical being, a culture, an idea, basically anything as long as books can be found for it!

The theme for our current September 15-November 14 group read is The Fae or Faeries
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

Previous group read themes were: Dragons, Animal Transformations, Unicorns, the Folklore and Mythology of Ireland, the Folklore and Mythology of East Asia, Fairy Tale "Helpers", the Folklore and Mythology of the North American First Nations-Native Americans, Trees (Dryads, Enchanted Forests), Water (Mermaids, Selkies) and more!

This thread will stay open for one week. On October 22 the poll will go up and we can vote for the theme. A week later the books for the selected theme will be nominated and finally polls will go up to vote for the nominated books.

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 842 comments siblings

message 3: by Shomeret (last edited Oct 15, 2016 07:14PM) (new)

Shomeret | 286 comments Can twins be part of siblings? There's lots of twin folklore.

message 4: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey | 84 comments Would seasons work? Like, either stories focused on one particular season or on the turning of the seasons in general... I was thinking of the Persephone myth, but there must be a ton of others.

message 5: by Jalilah (last edited Oct 16, 2016 11:12AM) (new)

Kelsey wrote: "Would seasons work? Like, either stories focused on one particular season or on the turning of the seasons in general... I was thinking of the Persephone myth, but there must be a ton of others."

As long as tales and books can be found for it a theme can work. If you're not sure you can always check first

Shomeret wrote: "Can twins be part of siblings? There's lots of twin folklore."

I think so. I would imagine there are way more sibling than twin tales though.

message 6: by Monica (last edited Oct 16, 2016 10:33AM) (new)

Monica Davis I'll throw "Santa Claus" into the mix; which includes Krampus, and all the storied versions of St. Nick, (including the original "Saint" on which the myth of Santa is said to be based).

message 7: by Katy (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 829 comments I'll throw in a challenge theme that I haven't completed yet: A book that makes use of the stories surrounding one of the world's major religions.

message 8: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 724 comments I've not participated in these before, so forgive me if I go overboard with suggestions. Here goes:

1. Places of transformation, i.e. locales where transformation occurs (e.g. Delphi, Babylon, Eleusis, Avebury, Stonehenge, etc.)

2. Transformations as a broad category: of people (this could include a multitude of things, e.g. people turning into animals, or objects, or flora, e.g. Corn Mother in American Indian mythology; Daphne and Apollo of Ancient Greece; seasonal transformations (per Kelsey's suggestions above); also perhaps even psychological transformations as in people experiencing growth. Persephone could fall into that since she changes from a young maiden (the Kore) clinging to mother's apron strings to the powerful Goddess of Spring and Queen of the Underworld.

3. Stories about the Hero's Journey a la Joseph Campbell.

4. The myths of Ancient Mesopotamia and/or Ancient Egypt (e.g., the Hymn to Inanna, Gilgamesh, the Enuma Elish, the story of Isis and Osiris based on the Ancient Egyptian Book of the Dead)

5. Myths about epic heroes (e.g. Odysseus, Aeneas, Beowulf, Gilgamesh, etc.)

6. Re-tellings of women characters who appear as minor figures in epic poems

7. Feminist re-tellings of fairytales and myths.

I think any of these could include the traditional fairytales/myths as well as modern re-tellings.

I'm not sure if these are the types of suggestions you're looking for. Apologies if they're not, and apologies if I've gone overboard with suggestions.
All best.

message 9: by Jalilah (last edited Oct 16, 2016 11:18AM) (new)

Monica wrote: "I'll throw "Santa Claus" into the mix; which includes Krampus, and all the storied versions of St. Nick, (including the original "Saint" on which the myth of Santa is said to be based)."

So kind of a Yule theme? Very fitting for the time the group read will be!

Kathy wrote: "I'll throw in a challenge theme that I haven't completed yet: A book that makes use of the stories surrounding one of the world's major religions."

World Religions was nominated before, but it did not win, so good it's being nominated again!

Tamara wrote: "I've not participated in these before, so forgive me if I go overboard with suggestions. Here goes:

1. Places of transformation, i.e. locales where transformation occurs (e.g. Delphi, Babylon, Ele..."

Those are all great suggestions Tamara, but I neglected to mention that each person can only nominate one theme. So you can just nominate the theme you'd like most this time and save the others for the next read!

message 10: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 724 comments Oh, my gosh! I am so very sorry. I didn't know.

Can I submit transformations since that encompasses a whole range of possibilities? If that's too broad, I'll narrow it down to something more specific.
Thanks.

message 11: by Jalilah (new)

Tamara wrote: "Oh, my gosh! I am so very sorry. I didn't know.

Can I submit transformations since that encompasses a whole range of possibilities? If that's too broad, I'll narrow it down to something more speci..."

No worries! :) I actually did not specify in my OP how many nominations to make!
We had "Animal Transformations" as a theme this May-June.
Perhaps you could word it so it's clear that it's something different? (for example something like "Physical Transformations " )

message 12: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 724 comments Lila,
Thanks for the suggestion.
Since you've already done Animal Transformations, I'll go with Physical Transformations to include transformations into inanimate objects, into plants and trees, and/or into other humans.
Does that sound ok?
Thanks.

message 13: by Ophelia (new)

Ophelia Darkly | 2 comments I would love to see some books about monsters in time for Halloween, circus themed books, or fairytales!

message 14: by Ophelia (new)

Ophelia Darkly | 2 comments I just saw the post about nominating one, so I choose monsters!

message 15: by Jalilah (new)

We already have some great nominations here:
Monsters nominated by Ophelia
Physical Transformations nominated by Tamara
Major World Religions nominated by Kathy
Yule-Christamas-Santa Claus nominated by Monica
Seasons nominated by Kelsey
Twins nominated by Shomeret
Siblings nominated by Mary
Let me know Shomeret if you want Twins to be with Siblings!
Do we have any more?

message 16: by Monica (new)

Monica Davis If its easier to categorize, you can call my nomination "Yule" or "Yule-Tide". It's a broader category, but opens the season up to lots more choices.

message 17: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 286 comments Lila (formerly Jalilah) wrote: "We already have some great nominations here:
Yule-Christamas-Santa Claus nomina..."

I want Twins to be part of Siblings.

message 18: by Jalilah (new)

Okay! Here is the updated list!

Yule-Tide Santa Claus nominated by Monica
Seasons nominated by Kelsey
Siblings ( including Twins ) nominated by Mary and Shomeret

message 19: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 3491 comments Mod
Looks like a great list to me! I won't add anything. :)

message 20: by Jalilah (new)

Margaret wrote: "Looks like a great list to me! I won't add anything. :)"

I had the same thoughts as you Margaret!

message 21: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2125 comments Mod
It looks like a great list to me too