21st Century Literature discussion

What to Read > December Open Pick Nominations

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 2245 comments Mod
It's time to start nominating for the December Open Pick!

Nominations will be open approximately one week before the poll goes up. The discussion will start December 1st. If you are nominating, please begin your post by stating "I nominate [name w. hyperlink to book]".

The usual rules: 21st Century work of literature, one nomination per person. Please see the How Things Work post if you are new to the group or need a refresher.

And don't forget our current reads, the Blind Assassin, Fever and Spear, and The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet.

message 2: by LindaJ^ (new)

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2439 comments I nominate All the Living by C.E. Morgan, as promised!

message 3: by Marc (new)

Marc (monkeelino) | 2874 comments Mod
Your commitment has already swayed my vote, Linda!

message 4: by Hugh (last edited Oct 17, 2016 01:11AM) (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 2833 comments Mod
I am tempted not to nominate because I want to support Linda, and I already have a physical copy of All the Living.

message 5: by Whitney (new)

So far, the race is not hotly contested. Any other nominees?

message 6: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 226 comments That's because Hugh guilt tripped us :)

Kidding. I'll come up with something! (I love Linda too though, btw)

message 7: by Hugh (new)

Not from me this time! If I am doing the My Name is Red discussion I would rather concentrate on that for now.

message 8: by Carol (new)

message 9: by Hugh (new)

Carol wrote: "I nominate Death by Water by Kenzaburō Ōe."
That one sounds very interesting too!

message 10: by Carol (last edited Oct 22, 2016 01:24AM) (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 452 comments Hugh wrote: "Carol wrote: "I nominate Death by Water by Kenzaburō Ōe."
That one sounds very interesting too!"

I was surprised to bump into it for the first time this week and thought it would an intriguing read with this group.

Plus we need to make this a horse race.

message 11: by Neil (new)

Neil | 309 comments Carol wrote: "I nominate Death by Water by Kenzaburō Ōe."

I read this earlier this year as part of the Man Booker International Prize long list. I think he's an acquired taste that I haven't quite acquired yet! But, I know many people will really love the book.

message 12: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 452 comments Neil wrote: "Carol wrote: "I nominate Death by Water by Kenzaburō Ōe."

I read this earlier this year as part of the Man Booker International Prize long list. I think he's an ac..."

I'm reading my first Abe novel next week and understand there's a similar divide in terms of acclaim and appreciation of many readers.

message 13: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 226 comments I'd like to nominate The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry

message 14: by Hugh (new)

Dianne - that makes 3 great nominations.

message 15: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 226 comments Will be a fun vote!

message 16: by Lily (last edited Oct 21, 2016 07:29PM) (new)

Lily (joy1) | 2503 comments I have to read All Things Cease to Appear by Elizabeth Brundage in December, so will throw it into the mix here. (And won't even be surprised if you tell me it has already been read/chosen/rejected, that is how careless I am going to be about cross checking! ;-( )

All Things Cease to Appear by Elizabeth Brundage Elizabeth Brundage

message 17: by Maureen (last edited Oct 21, 2016 08:07PM) (new)

Maureen | 124 comments Now we have four great nominations! So many good books; so little time!

message 18: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 1692 comments Mod
I nominate How It All Began. It has a theme of how chance affects lives, which could be a nice follow-up to the November moderator pick, 11/22/63. Currently it is available from Kindle for $1.99. I think it is a monthly deal, but I'm not sure about that.

message 19: by Whitney (new)

Excellent choices, as usual. Poll will go up later today if there are any last minute nominations.

message 20: by Whitney (new)

By "later today" I actually meant "tomorrow morning". Poll is now up and nominations are closed. Happy voting!

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 21: by LindaJ^ (new)

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2439 comments Thanks Marc for the e-mail about the winner - The Secret Scripture - and the moderator pick - Fingersmith. Fingersmith was the first of Sarah Waters' books that I've read. I enjoyed it a lot - very creepy - but did not enjoy the others anywhere near as much.

message 22: by Whitney (new)

Thanks for posting here as well, Linda.

message 23: by Marc (new)

Indeed, thank you, Linda!

Dianne, would you like discussion moderator honors?

message 24: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 226 comments Absolutely thanks Marc!

message 25: by Marc (new)

Wonderful. Thank you, Dianne!