Grimdark Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Reads Nominations & Polls > Nov./Dec. 2016 - Nominations

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brenno, The OCD guy (new)

Brenno | 121 comments Mod
Nominations are up!

message 2: by Silvana (last edited Oct 15, 2016 10:16PM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Blood Song (Raven's Shadow, #1) by Anthony Ryan Blood Song by Anthony Ryan

Sampled this military fantasy a long time ago and came highly recommended by GR users I trusted.

message 3: by Tracey the Lizard Queen, First In, Last Out (new)

Tracey the Lizard Queen | 573 comments Mod
When the Heavens Fall by Marc Turner. I met him today, nice bloke!

message 5: by Tracey the Lizard Queen, First In, Last Out (new)

Perhaps one of you should send out a message to all members inviting them to nominate their favourites?

message 6: by Jonathon (new)

Jonathon Taylor (sevrior) | 3 comments Heroes Die by Matthew Woodring Stover. :)

message 7: by C.T. (new)

C.T. Phipps The Steel Remains by Richard K. Morgan

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 8: by Andy (new)

Andy | 34 comments I'll second The Steel Remains. Highest up on my TBR among the choices so far.

message 9: by Mark (new)

Mark Lawrence (marklawrence) | 18 comments The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch.

message 10: by Joe (new)

Joe Lindley | 3 comments Sword of the North by Luke Scull

message 11: by Sumant (new)

Sumant Silvana wrote: "Blood Song (Raven's Shadow, #1) by Anthony Ryan Blood Song by Anthony Ryan

Sampled this military fantasy a long time ago and came highly recommended by GR users I trusted."

I'll second this.

message 12: by MarkSpell (new)

MarkSpell | 1 comments Now you mention it, its easy to agree with....The Steel Remains by Richard K. Morgan

message 13: by Swagat (last edited Oct 17, 2016 06:43PM) (new)

Swagat | 12 comments Hope and Red by Jon Skovron

I have not read it but a couple of my GR friends have reviewed it very highly here.

Tracey the Lizard Queen wrote: "When the Heavens Fall by Marc Turner. I met him today, nice bloke!"

The Chronicle of the Exile series by Marc Turner is a good series. If you like Malazan then you will like his books. Got the 3rd book of the series yesterday.

message 15: by Tracey the Lizard Queen, First In, Last Out (new)

Keep 'em coming! I'll keep nominations open till Friday and set up a poll on Saturday.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

The Mermaid's Tale. It's a sneaky little book released by a tiny publisher.

message 17: by Dezideriu (new)

Dezideriu Szabo | 3 comments The Great Ordeal - R. Scott Bakker

message 18: by Jake (new)

Jake Scholl (jakeschollwriter) | 2 comments Legend -- David Gemmell. Classic!

message 19: by Tesserakt (new)

Tesserakt | 1 comments The Lies of Locke Lamora !

message 20: by Chris, kingtermite (new)

Chris (kingtermite) | 468 comments Mod
Tesserakt wrote: "The Lies of Locke Lamora !"

Sorry Tesserakt, that was a group read a few months back. You can see past group reads at the bottom of the main page.

message 21: by Tracey the Lizard Queen, First In, Last Out (new)

Last call for nominations! I'll be closing this thread tomorrow morning (UK time) and setting up the poll immediately after.

message 22: by Scott (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 89 comments Just my two cents on the books brought up by others.

Blood Song - First two books were good not great. I always make the joke I like both types of fantasy grim and dark but these books were too much grim and not enough dark. For me I love that sense of camaraderie in the face of being blown to bits. Still most loved it. I didn't do book three because even those who loved books one and two only marginally liked this one.

When the Heavens Fall has been on my TBR for a while. I would love this one.

All the Barker books mentioned - I really expected to like him but DNF'd the first book at 25%. The names were too hard to remember and the plot plodding.

The Emperor's Blades - The last quarter of this book and the final two books in the series were terrific. The first three quarters of this I struggled. The main problem is the main three characters just aren't endearing. I would have liked them more if I hated them. As some of the other characters get more of a personality they bring it to life.

Legend - Was very good.

Half a King - Loved first law and this is on my TBR.

Hope and Red - Just added it to my TBR.

The Steel Remains - Was disappointing but not awful. I elected to abandon the series.

Heroes Die - On my TBR

Sword of the North - On my TBR

message 23: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Interesting observations, Scott. Will keep that in mind about Blood Song - to lessen my expectation somewhat. I'll read this whether it is still chosen as group read or not.

message 24: by Tracey the Lizard Queen, First In, Last Out (new)

I'm having some trouble creating the poll. Every time I try it times out, because GR is taking too long to respond. URGH!

message 25: by Brenno, The OCD guy (new)

Let me try here.

message 26: by Brenno, The OCD guy (new)

The Poll is open, you can vote here until October 31st!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.