Play Book Tag discussion

Archives 2016-2017 > Time to Vote for the November Tag

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Please vote for the tag you would most like to read for November at the following link:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/MZ5MB7F

You may click on the answer choices in the survey to see a listing of books that fit each tag.

Remember, you may cast up to a total of 10 participation points for your choice. Everyone gets one vote for free so please vote even if you don't have any participation points!

You can see how many participation points you currently have in the spreadsheet below. Please be careful if you are participating in any of the auctions that you don't over spend your points.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

Happy voting! Please cast your votes by 12 pm EST on 010/23.

Note: If no one choice receives more than 50% of the vote, people who chose the least popular choice will be asked to recast their votes for one of the remaining two options.

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Ugh, another year tag. I've actually read every single book listed in the first page of the English literature tag. How often does that happen? I guess I like English literature. I voted for animals since it is the only one that will requires a little effort to find books that I want to read. While I love animals, I don't often read about them.

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Already!

message 4: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 804 comments Not terribly excited about any of these. Just hope it's not going to be another year tag.

message 5: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I have a book for 2 of the tags; neither of which I'm crazy about- but nothing at all for animals.

message 6: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5494 comments Voted.
I am happy with all three. The year tags always gives me a chance to read something on my tbr. English literature provides me with a chance to read a classic which I have missed and which I would otherwise keep postponing. I love books about animals and always will find the opportunity to read one.

That being said I added a few extra points to my voting this time. :)

message 7: by ~*Kim*~ (new)

~*Kim*~ | 462 comments Voted :)

message 8: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments Voted- I'm happy with any of them, although I really would like something less vague than a year.

message 9: by Rachel N. (new)

Rachel N. | 1441 comments Please not another year tag. I'm fine with the other two though I do love books about animals. There are a few books on PBT 100 nonfiction list that I know fit the animal tag. I can't believe it's time to vote again. This month is flying by.

message 10: by LibraryCin (last edited Oct 15, 2016 09:40AM) (new)

LibraryCin | 8118 comments Ohhhh, definitely want animals to be the one! Even if I wasn't a fan of animals, because it's the only specific tag there, I'd be rooting for it!

And like many others, I'm definitely tired of the year tags. We've already done two of those this year! :-(

message 11: by Anita (last edited Oct 15, 2016 10:38AM) (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Ladyslott wrote: "I have a book for 2 of the tags; neither of which I'm crazy about- but nothing at all for animals."

Same here on the books - - nothing for animals. But I am enthusiastic about English literature. My friend just finished Middlemarch and said it was very worthwhile. And I have a few on the PBT 100 that fit as well.

I can't even find an animal book that looks remotely interesting. And I like animals. Weird. Maybe I need to look for a more science oriented list . . .some kind of animal behavior book.

UPDATE: Searched my shelf for animals and came up with one! Feel better now. Still hoping for English literature though.

message 12: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7693 comments I can recommend all kinds of fascinating nonfiction animal books! I think you would enjoy The Soul of an Octopus.

message 13: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2184 comments Whew! I can't believe its time already! I've investigated what's out there and then voted. I like the year tags because it opens up all kinds of things from my TBR, but I think we've had enough for a while. It was a toss up between English Lit and Animals. The problem with searching for Animals - if you didn't tag it - is the huge amount of children's books in that tag. A Boolean search would be great - "animals not childrens" but I didn't find that was possible. This is my chance to read the rest of the Bernie and Chet series though!

message 14: by Anita (last edited Oct 15, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Nicole R wrote: "I can recommend all kinds of fascinating nonfiction animal books! I think you would enjoy The Soul of an Octopus."

Oh thank goodness! I actually was going to ask you. I like books about animal behavior and/or natural history. . .the fiction and memoir type selections aren't turning me on at all.

By default option is Spillover: Animal Infections and the Next Human Pandemic, but the Octopus one sounds more engaging.

message 15: by Jennifer P. (new)

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments Beak of the Finch is my husband's favorite science book (he's a scientist) about evolution (though he's a different type of scientist). I enjoyed the year tag actually. I'm even listening to a 2013 book from that month that didn't come in before the month ended.

message 17: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Nicole R wrote: "I can recommend all kinds of fascinating nonfiction animal books! I think you would enjoy The Soul of an Octopus."

If 2008 wins I'm pretty sure I know what you would read (for the 10th time)

message 18: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8281 comments Another too crazy Saturday, I did not have the chance to look past English literature. But in that I found 100 Days of Solitude, which I have been wanting to read for a very long time. I haven't yet researched the other shelves, but I just might read Soul of an Octopus if that gets chosen..

message 19: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8281 comments Anita, I just voted for animals by accident. I clicked to see if I could research the shelf and it cast it as a vote maybe? Unless it didn't.... I'll try never to do this on my phone again. Was just curious.

message 20: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 804 comments A favorite of mine is Animals in Translation by Temple Gradin.

message 21: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7693 comments Ladyslott wrote: "If 2008 wins I'm pretty sure I know what you would read (for the 10th time)..."

Ha! I would love to but I can't fit in that kind of commitment to all four books....

message 22: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8281 comments Ok, I'm pretty sure I didn't vote accidentally. Found the list. I'm not going to try for animals, but if it's forced, I would recommend water for elephants or Jonathan livingston seagull. Octopus for me. Time to search 2008.

message 23: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments The Soul of an Octopus is excellent. I think that with some creative thinking there will be many options for animals if that is chosen. Tons of classics are tagged animals.

Here's a buzzfeed list of 51 books for animal lovers:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/lincolnthomp...

Not that I"m pushing for animals :)

message 24: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Amy wrote: "Anita, I just voted for animals by accident. I clicked to see if I could research the shelf and it cast it as a vote maybe? Unless it didn't.... I'll try never to do this on my phone again. Was jus..."

What would you like to vote for Amy? I can either delete the vote, and you may vote again (best), or I believe I can edit the vote.

message 25: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Sushicat wrote: "A favorite of mine is Animals in Translation by Temple Gradin."

I have heard of that - - sounds like another possibility!

message 26: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Jen wrote: "The Soul of an Octopus is excellent. I think that with some creative thinking there will be many options for animals if that is chosen. Tons of classics are tagged animals.

Here's a buzzfeed list ..."

Thanks, Jen - - just like to have some clue of what I might read . . .

message 27: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8281 comments I think I didn't vote accidentally. Have been researching. In looking up 2008, I have read an enormous amount! And at the time my children were three and five.

message 28: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Jen wrote: "The Soul of an Octopus is excellent. I think that with some creative thinking there will be many options for animals if that is chosen. Tons of classics are tagged animals.

Here's a buzzfeed list ..."

Lol, I have read a very surprising number of these already . . .but there were several that look very interesting.

message 29: by Karin (last edited Oct 15, 2016 03:49PM) (new)

Karin | 6919 comments These are all easy to take, but I chose one and voted. I didn't even look them up since there were no links provided and it was Too Much Work this lazy Saturday (minimum work).

message 30: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2184 comments Jen wrote: "Here's a buzzfeed list ..."

Excellent list! I saw many I've read but lots that have been on my list and some that I would also recommend.

message 31: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I noticed that Harry Potter is on the English Lit list!?!? Craziness!

message 32: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Although I suppose in its most simple definition it is English literature. Hm.

message 33: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8118 comments Barbara wrote: "A Boolean search would be great - "animals not childrens" but I didn't find that was possible. ..."

Ha! Can tell you're a librarian! Remember once upon a time where you could do a Boolean (sort of AND or NOT using + or -) in Google. I don't believe that works anymore, either.

message 34: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8118 comments Sushicat wrote: "A favorite of mine is Animals in Translation by Temple Gradin."

Loved that one!

message 35: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Karin, there are links. The links are in the survey. Click on the tag name to see the Goodreads list of tagged books.

message 36: by Linda C (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 1053 comments voted

message 37: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1476 comments groan ... Life of Pi

message 38: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8281 comments Ultimately I did find at least if not only one book I could read for each of the three. But honestly, the one that excited me most of this list, was that if it is English Literature, then I could finally get around to reading 100 Years of Solitude - which I have wanted to get to for around forever. So I threw three votes to English Literature. Halfway through Hot Milk, which is gorgeous writing, and far more intriguing than I expected. I half expected to not love it, and you know what, I am quite involved with it, very engaged and entranced! Ordering a Gentleman in Moscow right now, for my Florida trip Thursday. It will be my non-participating Dewey read!

message 39: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8118 comments LibraryCin wrote: "Barbara wrote: "A Boolean search would be great - "animals not childrens" but I didn't find that was possible. ..."

Ha! Can tell you're a librarian! Remember once upon a time where you could do a ..."

Barbara, I was just in the Goodreads Feedback group (haven't looked at it for months, or maybe years!), and found a suggestion to add Boolean searching:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Of course, the thread was started 4 years ago. But, people are still commenting this month. I didn't read the entire thread, but I did see near the end that a GR person says it's "not a priority".

message 40: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5632 comments Amy wrote: "Ultimately I did find at least if not only one book I could read for each of the three. But honestly, the one that excited me most of this list, was that if it is English Literature, then I could f..."

Except that One Hundred Years of Solitude is not "English" literature at all. Marquez wrote in Spanish and it's set in a South American country (I don't think the country is named... just can't remember).

message 41: by Karin (last edited Oct 16, 2016 01:04PM) (new)

Karin | 6919 comments Anita wrote: "Karin, there are links. The links are in the survey. Click on the tag name to see the Goodreads list of tagged books."

I went back to find them and it wouldn't let me get back on the survey because I'd already voted! I forgot to look first.

ETA I just had the idea to try from this computer (not at home right now) and was able to click on the links, but naturally didn't vote again.

message 42: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8281 comments Shoot! That was three votes! I wonder how it landed on the shelf? Then again, Octopus was my some contender for animals, and for 2008, oddly enough I have read almost everything! It was astonishing how much I'd read. There were one or two I could pull. I submit to the desires of the group.... It always works out. I was also leaning toward Persuasion or Northanger Abbey.

message 43: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2184 comments LibraryCin wrote: "Barbara wrote: "A Boolean search would be great - "animals not childrens" but I didn't find that was possible. ..."

Ha! Can tell you're a librarian! Remember once upon a time where you could do a ..."

LOL! :-)

message 44: by Blueberry (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) Susie wrote: "I noticed that Harry Potter is on the English Lit list!?!? Craziness!"

I found Fifty Shades Darker from the Fifty Shades of Grey books. I sorta thought English Literature might be old English books. Maybe it's anything written in England. Not sure why I would assume old classics though. If I saw a genre for Brazilian Literature or South African Literature I wouldn't have assumed old.

message 45: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments And looking up the definition of English Literature doesn't really clarify it for me! It seems at its core to be any work of literature written in the English language, and the the debate about 'what is literature' starts!

message 46: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Susie wrote: "And looking up the definition of English Literature doesn't really clarify it for me! It seems at its core to be any work of literature written in the English language, and the the debate about 'wh..."

Sounds like we read similar articles. And there is a suggestion that there be English Literature and British Literature - but that doesn't seem right. Unless you divide all literature into it's countries as opposed to it's language. Anyway I'm pretty sure that if it wins I will be reading some British English literature ;o)

message 47: by Raine (new)

Raine (rainelu) | 220 comments Voted!

message 48: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1266 comments Voted. I chose animals because while I love animals, I don't read many books specifically about animals or featuring animals. But, I'll be okay with whatever wins. I do hope it's not another year tag, though, just because we've had quite a few lately.

message 49: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5632 comments If it's "animals" ... I just finished Pax by Sara Pennypacker - lovely story.

message 50: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Book Concierge wrote: "If it's "animals" ... I just finished Pax by Sara Pennypacker - lovely story."

It sounds good, BC.

« previous 1