World, Writing, Wealth discussion

All Things Writing & Publishing > Quick cover format question

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments You guys, I forgot what format kindle book covers have to be in - jpeg? Thanks.

message 2: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13775 comments Yep, JPEG as far as I remember

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments TY!!

message 4: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 0 comments Yep, JPEG is better. PNG also works on some platforms, but JPEG is pretty universal everywhere :)

However, remember that Print requires a PDF file

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Ha! Can you tell I've only got one book out?

message 6: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 0 comments Tara wrote: "Ha! Can you tell I've only got one book out?"

LOL!!!

message 7: by Steven (new)

Steven Moore Tara,
I'm going to seem like a techie here (heaven forbid!), but you should have several jpegs stored for your cover. Thumbnails don't need too many pixels, but I had the recent experience of placing covers on posters and the lack of pixels was noticeable. Going the other way, when you're uploading your author photo to a site (e.g., a PR and marketing effort), they might restrict the number of pixels.
These are choices you can make when creating the jpeg with a computer or running a scanner. For my covers, my cover artist sends me several different versions.
Good luck!
r/Steve

message 8: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 0 comments Right on what Steven says. You should have your jpeg in the following sizes:
200x300
500x750
1600x2400

Most reseller sites prefer the 1600x2400 format.

As for resolution, 72dpi (standard) is perfect for online/screen viewing. If you're going for print or poster, then it better be at least 300dpi resolution.

message 9: by Steven (new)

Steven Moore Zee,
Thanks for including the numbers. I couldn't remember them. For some reason, I thought there was a #4 too, but I'm probably wrong.
The DPI is more for printing (screen or paper). Generally the JPEG is scaled OK as long as one has enough pixels for the output device--otherwise, one might see the pixels.
I'm not sure about your comment about reseller sites. Wouldn't they just be using thumbnails? Or are you talking about Create Space and Lightning, for example?
r/Steve

message 10: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 0 comments Glad if it helped, Steven! :)