The Book Was Better discussion

GENERAL > Would you reread books?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 88 (88 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Would anyone reread books they have already read?

I would

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I am very guilty of doing this. I've read the Emily Windsnap series multiple times. And I just finished reading a book for the second time.

message 3: by Lars Martin (new)

Lars Martin (lmborlaug) I'm not a big fan of rereading books, but I'm guilty of it in a few occasions; notably Lord of the Rings and Papillon.

I will probably reread the Song of Ice and Fire books when the next book gets published. That goes for the Kingkiller Chronicles as well.

I also got some favorite books that I would consider rereading. The books highest on my reread list would be The Great Gatsby and A Prayer for Owen Meany.

But I'm not really a fan of rereading. There are just too many books to read. Too much to discover.

message 4: by Nerdinosa (last edited Oct 12, 2016 11:09AM) (new)

Nerdinosa oh yes definitely! I've read couple of my books at least twice (like all the books from Sarah J. Maas or the Cricket Series or the Shatter me Series). And there are the books with so much characters and details you practically have to reread them like the Lord of the Rings or the Song of Ice and Fire books (which I'll reread when Winds of Winter is finally released ;-)).

message 5: by Frances (new)

Frances Richardson | 14 comments Yes. I reread Mrs. Dalloway once a year, just to take in the breathtaking beauty of the language.

message 6: by Teagan (new)

Teagan | 7 comments I think I've read The Silver Brumby at least every year since I was 10 years old!
There's something about the comfort of old friends and old places that I just can't resist. I love sinking back into the familiarity of the story, the locations and the characters.

message 7: by Garfield (new)

Garfield Whyte (garfieldwhyte) Oh yes...there are 4 Sidney Sheldon books i read a few times eg, Rage of Angels...3 times.....If tomorrow comes ...2 times.....The sands of Time....3 times...they were that good and of course the Bible I read that daily.

message 8: by Anna (new)

Anna Anthony | 1 comments YES. YES. YES. There is a certain comfort in rereading books. I know I have reread at least a dozen different books over again.

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments Yes, I would. Especially when I'm slumping.

message 10: by Nina (new)

Nina Foster (ninafoster) Yes! I've read Alice in Wonderland twice and one other romance novel twice, and I have a few non-fiction books that would be worth reading again.

message 11: by Nina (new)

Nina Foster (ninafoster) Lars Martin wrote: "I'm not a big fan of rereading books, but I'm guilty of it in a few occasions; notably Lord of the Rings and Papillon.

I will probably reread the Song of Ice and Fire books when the next book get..."

I feel that way as well, that there are so many unread books I have yet to read..the books I would most like to re-read some day are the non-fiction ones that were great learning and personal growth tools.

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments There was a time when I used to re-read Jane Eyre, The Hobbit, and Generation Kill every year.

message 13: by ~Helaina~ (new)

~Helaina~ (cityofbookaholic) | 4 comments I am a chronic re-reader, and I don't quite know how some people can read a book, love it, and never pick it up again. HOW? I mean, cool for them: they're moving on to newer things but..there are some books that I could re read right up until I'm lying on my deathbed.

Plus, whenever a new book in a series comes out I often go right back to the first book in the series and read them all over again.

message 14: by Michael (new)

Michael Houle | 24 comments ~Helaina~ wrote: "I am a chronic re-reader, and I don't quite know how some people can read a book, love it, and never pick it up again. HOW? I mean, cool for them: they're moving on to newer things but..there are s..."

Where do you find the time? I must be a slow reader. I almost never reread. I always want to get on to something new.

message 15: by Christa (new)

Christa I love to re-read books but I like to wait long enough so that I almost don't remember the plot. There are some books that I have re-read 4 or 5 times because I love them so much.

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments ^ There was a time when I reread The Hobbit once a year. I did that for about 4-5 years.

message 17: by Carlyn (new)

Carlyn | 27 comments I reread books I've read when I was younger. I feel like I understand them more now

message 18: by Carlyn (new)

Carlyn | 27 comments I reread books I've read when I was younger. I feel like I understand them more now

message 19: by Carlyn (new)

message 20: by Nele (new)

Nele (neltjuhv) | 5 comments Yep, also a re-reader. I only keep books that I know I'll read again.

message 21: by Czeska (new)

Czeska so far only 'the girl on the train' and 'gone girl' i would re-read

message 22: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (echris8) | 6 comments Very rarely do I reread books. I find it hard to reread them when I know what is going to happen. It has to be a series to do it.

message 23: by Julia (new)

Julia | 55 comments Absolutely! I have re-read the Harry Potter series more times than I can count...I even read them in French! After Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One came out in theatres, I re-read just the second half of the book so that I could see the story come to an end again. I have re-read the Inkheart series a few times, and I have read any books for high school at least twice so that I could pick up on the details--made essay writing much easier, too! There are lots I plan to re-read as well.

message 24: by Julia (new)

Julia | 55 comments I also use re-reading as a reward/ break for myself. I read about 5 new books and then give myself a break by reading something familiar that is easier to remember!

message 25: by Kasia (new)

Kasia | 28 comments If the book is worth rereading then definitely

message 26: by Kit (new)

Kit | 3 comments Interesting question... I didn't think I would but then I realised I already have done.

message 27: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashley_shea) | 7 comments I love rereading books! I like to wait a long time between the reads so I'll forget most of what happens. I've reread the Harry Potter series probably around four times, I'm currently rereading A Series of Unfortunate Events (because the Netflix show), I've reread The Claudi Journals a few times (nostalgia because I loved them as a kid), and Her Fearful Symmetry.
I like to return to books I read when I was younger to see if they hold up as an adult.

message 28: by Mandi (new)

Mandi | 1 comments I've re-read several books. Usually after it's been a while so I don't remember the details. I also like to re-read a book that's being made into a movie before I see the movie.

message 29: by Thesa (new)

Thesa Quiambao (storiesandpages) | 1 comments Definitely! But I've only re-read Rick Riordan's series. Its like re-living the experience. I also get to understand the story more and notice details that I haven't notice when I read the book for the first time.

message 30: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariarosariogh) | 1 comments Yes, I reread City of Bones which is Casaandra Clare's first book after finishing all the Shadowhunters Chronicles books out (including Lady Midnight) and realized how much she had grown as an author, which was so mind blowing

message 31: by Quirkybirdy (new)

Quirkybirdy | 1 comments Yasssss!!! I always come back to Cassandra Clare's Infernal Devices when I'm in a slump.

message 32: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (sammylancaster) | 31 comments I usually only reread books when I haven't read them in a while and there is a sequel that has just come out. This is why I reread the whole Lunar Chronicles, for the release of Winter, and I might reread Red Queen for the sake of Glass Sword (although I do believe Glass Sword picks up practically exactly where it was left off!)

message 33: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Knox (yabookstar) | 4 comments Quirkybirdy wrote: "Yasssss!!! I always come back to Cassandra Clare's Infernal Devices when I'm in a slump."

Amazing series that I've been meaning to re-read again. So in love with the character of Will Herondale....

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments I will re-read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone this year. It turns 15 this year omg.

message 35: by Angel (new)

Angel | 3 comments I will only reread some of the classics if I haven't read them in a while, especially any of my favorites.

message 36: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kayparker) | 4 comments Oh yes. You don't buy something to use it once? That makes sense. But even more over, if I really like a book, I want to read it again because you always miss something the first time through. I also think you appreciate the writing more the second time through and not just the plot. I also think you see the characters in a different light knowing things about them you hadn't at the start as you read a second time. I think you will understand them better.

message 37: by McEvoy (new)

McEvoy Williams | 4 comments It really depends on the book. A whodunit written in a plain style may not be worth rereading once you know the ending, but there are some books that are so moving and beautifully written that I just have to return to them. Some books are works of art, others simply informative or mildly entertaining. Would you not want to look at a great painting more than once?

Chloe Fandom Queen I like to reread books, especially ones I love. But I have to leave a bit of time between reads as I feel like if I read it too many times too close together, I won't enjoy it as much. I see books like movies, in this way, I want to watch them all the time, but I can only watch a film perhaps once a month (unless it's new) otherwise it loses some of its charm.

message 39: by Kasia (new)

Kasia | 28 comments Definitely if the book is good

message 40: by Ruhani (new)

Ruhani | 2 comments I wish I could! If a book is amazing and I loved it, I would want to reread it, but I just can't. Rereading a book just doesn't do it for me, I don't get that firsthand experience of falling in love with the story again, and that's the sad part. I wish I could relive falling in love with a story, but I cannot

message 41: by Marco (new)

Marco I don't typically reread but I listen to the audio book on audible if I like the book a lot. The only series I reread (multiple times) is Harry Potter.

message 42: by Angel (new)

Angel | 3 comments Only classic literature books, not modern.

message 43: by Michael (new)

Michael Houle | 24 comments I just don't seem to have time to re-read. I do it occasionally with classics I haven't read in a long time, like To Kill a Mockingbird which I re-read in preparation to read Go Set a Watchman. I may re-read A Separate Peace because I loved it in high school. Likewise Mr. Blue and a few others. But otherwise I just want to jump into the next one I'm looking forward to.

message 44: by Soumya (new)

Soumya  (-crazyangelicvamp-) | 10 comments No, I generally do not reread books. I just find myself remembering the ending again and put it down. But yeah, I can do that if the books was very memorable. I mean if I reread a book it is a big thing for me. I don't know. I just don't find that pleaure in rereading, until I've forgotten every bit of the plot altogether.

message 45: by Lois (new)

Lois Brewer | 1 comments Yep ;)

message 46: by DylSyl (new)

DylSyl  (alwaysdillpickle) Absolutely YES. I've read Gone Girl 12 times (don't judge).

message 47: by DylSyl (new)

DylSyl  (alwaysdillpickle) Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. There's an amazing movie too. Ugh, love that book to death. It's sad how much I love it

message 48: by DylSyl (new)

DylSyl  (alwaysdillpickle) No problem!! :)

message 49: by Mary (new)

Mary Shimp (meemeeshimp) Only if it becomez the book of choice for book club, otherwise too many books so little time.

message 50: by Tallulah (new)

Tallulah Johnston (tallulah98) | 14 comments I definitely re-read books. Usually if I do, I purchase them because it means I thoroughly enjoyed them and want to own them.

« previous 1