*~Can't Stop Reading~* discussion

Would you reread books?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Would anyone reread books they have already read?

I would.

message 2: by Simon (new)

Simon Fletcher Yes, and I do quite often.
I've read Lord of the Rings 5 times and the Chronicles of Narnia too many times to count.

message 3: by Barbm1020 (new)

Barbm1020 | 57 comments Yes, I'm currently re-reading Going Postal, by Terry Pratchett. It's an old favorite. Going Postal

message 4: by Nerina (new)

Nerina | 1 comments Yes all the time. It helps that I've always had a terrible memory and so often forget plot lines and whodunnit. My favourite rereads - Little Women, Cranford, The Hobbit, Redbird Christmas, Diary of a Nobody, Jane Eyre

message 5: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 12 comments I would especially if I loved the book

message 6: by Rose (new)

Rose Collins | 7 comments Yes, I re-read childhood favorites like The Secret Garden again and again.

message 7: by josephine (new)

josephine (anjmjen) I would absolutely reread books, but only those that are undoubtedly my favourites (I mean, why would you reread books you didn't like). I'm going to reread the Harry Potter books in 2017, and there are a couple of others that are so well written with stories that I love that I can't wait to dive into once more. "Four Perfect Pebbles: A Holocaust Story" is one of those.

message 8: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin | 2 comments For sure. More than likely not in the ssame month/year, but eventually I get bored with what I am reading or I just need something to do I reread book. But I would really only reread certain books. Like the Harry Potter series or some historical fiction or fav novel(s).

message 9: by David (last edited Jan 05, 2017 03:17AM) (new)

David (davidg1951) | 3 comments Of course. Why else keep bookshelves in the house? There are favourite books I go back to time and again.

Also, as I'm now reviewing books for my blog (Megatheriums for Breakfast, on Medium), I sometimes re-read books I'm reviewing within days of finishing them for the first time. I did that with Dave Hutchinson's "Fractured Europe" sequence (starting with Europe in Autumn), and also with Julian Barnes' "The Sense of an Ending".

message 10: by Saurabh (new)

Saurabh Dashora | 4 comments Definitely. Re-reading books is sometimes more fun that new ones because you definitely find out many new things. I've read Lord of the Rings almost 5 times and still find new things all the time. Same with the Foundation and Robot Series by Asimov

message 11: by Erkki (new)

Erkki Lassila (nosurface) | 2 comments Absolute would. There are plenty of books that require several readings to get really deep into and besides every time you read a book the reading experience chances because you've changed in the meantime. There is a risk of some of the magic dissappearing from childhood favourites bacause of this, but I rarely shy away from rereading a book in fear of destroying a fond memory/image.

Then there' always different language versions as well. I've read Lord of the Rings three times in Finnish and plan to revisit in English the next time around :)

message 12: by Amit (new)

Amit Siovitz | 2 comments I often reread my favorite books, It's nice to go back to a book which really moved you after a couple of years and see how you changed in your reactions to the events and characters presented in the book (I used to really like Holden Caulfield from the Catcher in the Rye when I was a teenager, but reading the book again in university I rather despised him)
There are also those book which REQUIRE a second reading to see more and more layers to them, but more than anything, rereading a book could be simple indulgence in nostalgia. It could take you back to when you first read something as a kid, or to those wild days as a college student... Writing this makes me want to reread Pratchett now....

message 13: by Luvtoread (last edited Nov 13, 2017 08:39AM) (new)

Luvtoread | 1 comments Absolutely, I have reread many books over the years some to get a different perspective on, and some because they changed the cover
(paperbacks) or I forgot that I read the book until I was several pages into the book! Many books are so wonderful that I want to relive the stories years later. I have watched movies more than once as well for the same reasons, and will continue to do so!

message 14: by Sam (new)

Sam | 2 comments I'm afraid I have to go against the grain a bit with my answer. It saddens me to think of all the thousand and thousand of brilliant books that I'll never have the pleasure to read, as my lifetime is simply just not long enough. I want to absorb as many of these wonderful books as I can before my life ends. With the exception of children's books, I don't reread books by choice, only ever by chance when I've forgotten that I've already read it. I've done that several times... got a new book, then thought several chapters in...''Hang on a minute, this is familiar'. I have more books than I can count so it's easily done when you have a memory like a sieve. That doesn't mean to say I don't have favorites that I'd enjoy rereading, and I think many books are more than special enough to reread and relive the pleasure from...I just prefer to cram my face into as many new books as I can.

message 15: by H.R. (new)

H.R. Moore | 1 comments I would NEVER have done this before I had kids. But now I have I've started re-reading because I'm totally OCD and have to know what happens next, which means I always end up reading well past my bedtime, which does not match with young kids! So, if I know what's going to happen, I don't have to read as obsessively and can enjoy it more.

message 16: by Shelby (new)

Shelby | 3 comments I reread book all the time, especially when in a book rut. I'm most likely to pick up an R.L. Mathewson, Veronica Blade, or a JLA book to reread. they're my absolute favorite. It's nice to read something you know you like when you can't find anything or you choose a few books in a row that just weren't your type.

message 17: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 12 comments Yes if I loved the book

message 18: by Vicky (new)

Vicky Giavasi | 1 comments Since the catalogue of books to read is long and getting longer every year no matter how much I read, it is not something I do often. However, yes I do reread some books. Some because I like the feeling I got from them and use the particular books as a kind of an anti-stress method and some others because I just felt I want to read them again. In the latter case it is quite surprising I always find out that I am getting new things from the second read that I hadn’t got in the first place.

message 19: by Julie (new)

Julie Round | 1 comments I don't re read books as I get most of them out of the library but I have re read children's books that I own.
This pandemic left me searching for new books to read as my kindle has stopped working.
I even started a non fiction book.
I mean to re read the Just So Stories if I run out of new novels.

message 20: by Barbm1020 (new)

Barbm1020 | 57 comments I go back to old favorites sometimes. I'm a big fan of Terry Prathett's social satire/fantasy series about the vaguely Renaissance alternate universe of the Discworld. There are so many tributes, allusions, puns, "Easter egg" references that make me laugh - and I find more with each re-read. But mostly a good book is like a delicious dessert: the first bite tastes the best, so why not go on to the next?

message 21: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Urso-Farmer | 1 comments Yes, I've read The Exorcist more than once or twice!

message 22: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Eisenmeier (carpelibrumbooks) | 54 comments Yeah, I do semi-frequently.