World, Writing, Wealth discussion

All Things Writing & Publishing > Mood and writing

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15369 comments As anything creative it's probably not that easy not to spill emotions onto your work and to a degree it can be a route to vent them out. Thus, the fate of the character may depend on the mood of its creator and master. If in good mood you may offer a thumbs up and spare your gladiator, while in a sour one - the character may be in jeopardy of annihilation, defeat, being left by a spouse, you name it-:)

Do you manage temper or let your characters dance to your tune?

message 2: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer | 593 comments Procrastination = When you have to revise a book chapter about someone being tortured and killed, and in your head, you haven’t found crazy yet.

I don't think my mood has anything to do with what's going on in the story. If I'm in a bad mood with lots on my mind, I don't even consider writing.

message 3: by Daniel J. (new)

Daniel J. Nickolas (danieljnickolas) | 111 comments Nik asked: Do you manage temper or let your characters dance to your tune?

I attempt to do both. Writing is a great way to explore and understand emotions, but there is never a bad time for control and a little distance; even in wild fits of emotional inspiration, control and a little distance are always helpful.

message 4: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15369 comments Yeah, I sort of suppose that some would abstain from writing whiole experiencing strong emotions, while others may found inspiration in them.
Wonder whether writing can be something like 'kick the boss' game to direct your anger or affection or should be sterile of personal emotions? -:)
I feel I'm a little dangerous for my characters, if hung over-:)

message 5: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11207 comments I decide what mood my characters should be in for a given scene, and try to imagine myself in such a mood. Obviously, if I am brilliantly happy and I have to write a scene where the character is miserable, I try and find something else to do. I don't have to be miserable myself, but I have to be able to imagine it to write it.

message 6: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 0 comments It doesn't apply for me, because I plot beforehand and then write. My mood when I write might make a scene darker in tone, maybe, but if I feel too much disconnect in me at the time of writing (like, in my scene, I need the protags to confess their love, but in RL, I'm in the right mood to murder my husband because he left the kitchen a mess, then I won't even try to attempt that scene that day!)

message 7: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) Well this thread and Nik's question make me wonder George R.R Martin's mood when he kills off characters constantly on Game of Thrones.

As for me personally I don't let my mood effect the outcome of my characters. I either let them solve a mystery, kill them off, dance, eat, pray or sail the seven seas and all within me being in one mood.

message 8: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15369 comments Does your mood place your heroes in grave jeopardy?

message 9: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11207 comments Nik wrote: "Does your mood place your heroes in grave jeopardy?"

Slightly difficult to answer that, because like acting, if I think they need to be in jeopardy, I try and force the appropriate mood onto my mind before writing the scene

message 10: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15369 comments Should characters beware of angry authors? -:)

message 11: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11207 comments Most definitely. Here the pen is really mightier than the sword :-)