Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

ARCHIVE - BOTM discussions > The best book I read in SEPTEMBER was...

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jemima (last edited Oct 11, 2016 08:32AM) (new)

Jemima Pett | 1357 comments Mod
Sorry, I'm a bit late with this post, but I hope you can remember the (MG) books you'd like to recommend from your September reads!

message 2: by James (new)

James (rigfield) Into the Killing Seas by M. Spraldin

In 1945 twelve-year-old Patrick and his younger brother Teddy stowaway on the U.S.S. Indianapolis in a desparate attempt to get back to the Philippines where they last saw their parents, just before the Japanese invasion--but when the ship is sunk they find themselves clinging to a piece of debris without food or water, and with hungry sharks circling below.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

It was a great way to sneak some history into the kid's reading list

message 3: by Justine (new)

Justine Laismith (justinelaismith) | 304 comments Cowgirl is a refreshing story about friendship with a farming girl in Wales.

message 4: by Jemima (new)

Jemima Pett | 1357 comments Mod
Those both sound great, thanks!

I enjoyed Zoe & Zak and the Ghost Leopard, the first in a series about a pair of unlikely friends whose parents have reason to be in India together. Apart from a great adventure story with Indian religion and legends mixed in, it's a chance for people to get an idea of what India is like if they aren't likely to get there.

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 1662 comments Mod
I read a couple of excellent sequels to even better books I read in August or so:
Dicey's Song
and
White Sands, Red Menace