Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Adding New Books > Book appearing twice - how to remove

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Dunsky (dunsky) | 16 comments Hi,

I just added my new novel, The Dead Sister, to Goodreads. Unfortunately, it seems that I've done so twice. The book has two pages, here and here . Is it possible to delete the one on this page, https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32570886-the-dead-sister?from_search=true

Thank you,

Jonathan

message 2: by Codex (new)

Codex | 3401 comments Duplicate paperback merged.
(You managed to add the duplicate by creating the book with a truncated ISBN-13 in the ISBN-10 field—FYI.)

message 3: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Dunsky (dunsky) | 16 comments Thank you for your help.

message 4: by Alan (new)

Alan Field (alanjfieldbooks) | 22 comments I only added a kindle version of The Chemist, but I still see two entries. One of them does NOT include the reviews.

Please advise.

message 5: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13662 comments #4 Next time please provide links to both books.

The other Kindle edition was imported by the Amazon bot under the name Alan Field. Corrected the name and merged the duplicate edition.

message 6: by Alan (new)

Alan Field (alanjfieldbooks) | 22 comments Thank you. Is that something only an administrator such as yourself can do?

message 7: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23160 comments Yes, authors only have limited editing ability. And certainly not for a name similar but not an exact match.

message 8: by Alan (new)

Alan Field (alanjfieldbooks) | 22 comments So, how do I add the paperback and hardcover editions? Is that even necessary on Goodreads? I already took care of that on Amazon.

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41972 comments Mod
Alan wrote: "Is that something only an administrator such as yourself can do?"

Librarians are volunteers, not Goodreads staff.

message 10: by Dobby (new)

Dobby (dobby0390) | 3610 comments Alan wrote: "So, how do I add the paperback and hardcover editions? Is that even necessary on Goodreads? I already took care of that on Amazon."

Added hardcover and paperback editions, using the cover image from your author website.

I also added the Daniel Strong series. Authors cannot edit series information. When you want to create a new series or to add books to an existing series, please post a request in the Serieses! folder, and a librarian will assist you.

message 11: by Alan (new)

Alan Field (alanjfieldbooks) | 22 comments Thanks again. If I had only known . .

message 12: by Alan (new)

Alan Field (alanjfieldbooks) | 22 comments Dobby0390,

Do I need to apply for librarian status to edit my author profile, or can I request you to do it for me?

All I want to do is eliminate the middle initial "J" from my name. My hope is that this will improve my search results.

message 13: by lethe (last edited Oct 12, 2016 04:13AM) (new)

lethe | 13662 comments Since the covers have the J on it, Alan J. Field will always be the primary author. Leaving out the initial will definitely not improve search results.

Normally, as a GR author you should be able to edit your profile, but the reason you can't is because the Kindle edition was originally added under Alan Field, and that profile still exists (will be cleaned up by a script in due course). there is an existing profile for Alan Field: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

Single-word titles are always difficult to find, but if you search 'chemist field', your book is the first one that shows up: https://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8...