NZ Intermediate School Librarians discussion

Books for Yr 7/8 students (2017) > The Bone Sparrow by Zana Fraillon

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna (new)

Donna Le Marquand | 1 comments I read this book in the holidays and loved it... in fact it is probably my favourite book this year!
It is the story of Subhi who was born and lives in an Australian immigration detention centre. It is a story of friendship, loss, grief and hope. It is heart wrenching and uplifting at the same time. I think students who enjoyed the Once series or the Boy in Striped Pyjamas would enjoy this book.

message 2: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Phillips | 16 comments I also really enjoyed this but I suspect it will be loved by teachers more than our kids as it ties in nicely with our refugees topic (often studied as part of sustainability).

message 3: by Jane (new)

Jane (janeboniface) | 123 comments I shall clearly have to give this book another shot! I started it a while back, but got distracted and went on with something else (happens a lot!)
I loved "Once" though, and the topic is relevant for our Term 1 Inquiry, so that's good to know :-)

message 4: by Marianne (new)

Marianne Dobie | 49 comments I cannot say that I enjoyed reading this book - it was heartbreakingly sad. I didn't even realise I was crying until I shut the book. Beautifully written. And it is based on what is actually happening in Australia.

message 5: by Clare (new)

Clare Forrest (clareforrest) | 2 comments I agree - a really sad book and probably one that affects adults more than kids. Beautifully crafted but oh so sad given that it is happening right now and on our doorstep.