Foreworld discussion

General Discussion > New Banner

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C.B. Matson (new)

C.B. Matson Not sure how many noticed, but I cobbled together a banner for our FS Group Page (okay, M.L. noticed the font). Any comments + or - ? It's easily changed.

On the same subject, any new Topics we (the few, the proud, the... oh, never mind) should be discussing? Sword play... I think it was Foreworld Creative and master weaponsmith Tinker Pearce who said "If you write it, fight it." Sure wish someone would comment on authentic sword/staff/HEMA fighting scenes.

And speaking of the FS Creatives, how can we get them to stop by and contribute? Ideas?

What about canon? Any new directions Foreworld canon should take? What about rabble-rousing (okay, publicizing); how can we get more FS authors and readers?

The pop-riveted aluminum cosplay gauntlet has been flung to the floor, y'all sword-swing'n word slingers... I'm callin' you out.

message 2: by Mike, Vor Dweeb (last edited Oct 10, 2016 10:38AM) (new)

Mike Voss | 60 comments Mod
C.B. Matson wrote: "Not sure how many noticed, but I cobbled together a banner for our FS Group Page (okay, M.L. noticed the font). Any comments + or - ? It's easily changed.

On the same subject, any new Topics we (..."

Nice sword!

message 3: by M.L. (last edited Oct 11, 2016 09:59AM) (new)

M.L. It looks nice! What is FS Creatives?
There is a Twitter for Foreworld Saga but it's not very active, so I followed Kindle Worlds on Twitter to see what they are up to. It's a start!

As to direction, has FS gone into the future?

message 4: by C.B. Matson (last edited Oct 11, 2016 10:02AM) (new)

C.B. Matson Foreworld Saga Creatives was a term first applied to the authors of the original series and some of the side quests. In my mind, it includes to all of us... but the term mostly fell out of use when the old Foreworld web site went dormant (it's still live, there are a few choice nuggets to be gleaned from the site regarding Foreworld history and so forth).

@KindleWorlds, brilliant... can't believe I never bothered to go look for it.

message 5: by M.L. (new)

M.L. There was a tweet from @KindleWorlds from Sept 25 about Foreworld, with pic. I RT'd
Craft a new epic history in the @foreworldsaga w/@nealstephenson @RealGregBear @markteppo http://amzn.to/1PFcUK9

message 6: by Mark, Canon Nerd (new)

Mark Teppo (markteppo) | 12 comments Mod
Brit Rogers, who used to be the Author Rep for 47North, is now working with Kindle Worlds. I like to think we were always favorites of hers, so I'm not surprised to see KindleWorlds doing mentions. Or maybe she's just making the rounds and getting everyone mentioned. :)

As to the rest of the original writing crew on the Saga, we're scattered now, and everyone is doing their own thing. It's much harder to herd cats when they're not all in the same room, so I suspect doing interesting things is the best way to entice them to stop by.

message 7: by Mike, Vor Dweeb (new)

Mark wrote: "Brit Rogers, who used to be the Author Rep for 47North, is now working with Kindle Worlds. I like to think we were always favorites of hers, so I'm not surprised to see KindleWorlds doing mentions...."

I guess we'll need to try and be more interesting :-)

Would dragons be more interesting? (Just kidding - I think!)

From what I've see, there are rotating mentions on Twitter for various Worlds, if not all of them. Foreworld seems to get abt 1 a month.

message 8: by C.B. Matson (new)

C.B. Matson Hey, Mark... good to see you around. I know that FS was a bit of a collaborative experiment in its day, and the Creatives... well, they gotta be creative. New projects, new experiments, all good.

In the same vein, KW started as kind of an experiment and it has metamorphosed significantly since its launch. I've noticed quite a few published authors writing derivative works in KW these days... really an unexpected twist. At the same time, it seems that "Worlds" undergo a progression from "New and Sexy," to "Mature and Well Subscribed," to "Oh Yeah, That One." In the process, they tend to fall to the bottom of the KW roster.

Speaking only for myself, it doesn't really change my plans. I'm getting every bit out of writing for the Foreworld Series that I had wanted and expected. Still writing; the final ep comes out sometime in August. No spoiler to say that it concludes somewhere just outside of Legnica.

I'm not sure what an "Author Rep" does at an e-publishing house... stand in for "Agent?" But it's encouraging to hear that they are staffing KW with some experienced folks. Q: How did you find out something like that?

In response to Mike's comment (not the dragon Mike, just no), it would be good if we could all follow @kindleworlds, search for FS plugs and RT the holy heck outta them.

message 9: by Mike, Vor Dweeb (last edited Dec 14, 2016 08:46PM) (new)

C.B. Matson wrote: "Hey, Mark... good to see you around. I know that FS was a bit of a collaborative experiment in its day, and the Creatives... well, they gotta be creative. New projects, new experiments, all good.
..."

I have been following @KindleWorlds for a while, and RT any Foreworld mentions I see there. I believe Brother Lussier brought it to my attention. (They follow me too! That must be...interesting for them - or Ms Rogers, I suppose, if she's doing all the work there).

Like other tweets that favor interests of mine (a big one is @GailZMartin's #HoldOnToTheLight tweets promoting blog posts by SFF authors on Mental Wellness) I suppose I should go a bit more "all-out" RTing them, considering much of my "core" following don't appear to be seeing my posts anyway (which I assume means I've been muted by many of my best friends!) so I don't think I can offend too many more if I go to three times a day RTs rather than just once when I first see a relevant tweet. Only question how many will see 'em :-) (I did get over 6000 views responding to a tweet by Joyce Carol Oates, but I don't think she'd appreciate my injecting Foreworld into her timeline). Truth is, while RTing is easy and fast it won't propagate very far without being picked up by people with lots and lots and lots of followers. But we should do it anyway. Because it's near to our hearts.

"...not the dragon Mike, just no..."

Okay, but that huge buzzard drifting in the sky ain't gonna be nearly as interesting as a dragon...

message 10: by Mike, Vor Dweeb (new)

Mark wrote:" It's much harder to herd cats when they're not all in the same room"

You need to drag 'em back to the killing field - er, practice room - with their swords and then sit 'em down to think up a new collaborative project :-) (Brains storm better when other brains are staring them down, fingers tapping restlessly in an implied "who'll go first?")

message 11: by C.B. Matson (new)

C.B. Matson Mike, sorry to snark about the dragon... it's just been that kind of year, y'know? Besides, after 'The Hobbit' and GoT, dragons have become perhaps a bit over-used... but, but a giant Pleistocene vulture? A flock of 'em? Whoa! that's an idea. "The last spawn of eldritch obscenity gorging on the bloated fruit of war and ruin."

[fingers twitch]

message 12: by Mike, Vor Dweeb (new)

C.B. Matson wrote: "Mike, sorry to snark about the dragon... it's just been that kind of year, y'know? Besides, after 'The Hobbit' and GoT, dragons have become perhaps a bit over-used... but, but a giant Pleistocene v..."

No worries. You kinda played into my hand there, lol! So my apologies instead.

No dragons hitting the Foreworld on my end. But I do have a burning need to introduce something really unconventional into the Saga. Maybe a comedy of manners. Fortunately I haven't the time to pursue even my serious Foreworld projects after those I'm working on now. After those, I expect 2017 to be one original novel and as many original shorts as I can manage.

message 13: by M.L. (last edited Dec 21, 2016 05:24PM) (new)

M.L. I'm not sure where to put this post, but SIA has a new group, "SIA Showcase for Readers and Writers" - you'll see a link to it on the SIA Home Page under "Read Me." The "Showcase" might be a good place to mention KW and FS.

This is from SIA referencing their new group:
". . . Within that thread, I also announced that we had set up a new group. What we have set up is a showcase where our members may set up a thread of their own and talk about pretty much anything. Yes, this includes bookswhacks. There are rules, of course, and outside the personal thread there is a structure to the threads and folders, so this is not a free for all, but we do encourage all of our members to join in, and our hope too is to present a neat and structured intro to Indies that will attract readers as well: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/... "

message 14: by C.B. Matson (last edited Dec 22, 2016 11:42AM) (new)

C.B. Matson Good catch, M.L. I'd tuned out of SIA for a few months. They're a great group, lotsa fantastic information, v. helpful, but after a while...

Regardless, it looks like separating the 'Support' from the 'Showcase' will make both groups better. Maybe a third group for 'Sniff, Why Doesn't Anyone Buy My Book?' Ohhh there, I did it [smacks self in face with flat side of a falchion]; guess I'm just not supportive enough.

Idea: Please, puh'leeez [grovels], someone besides me post something in 'Showcase' about the 'Foreworld' group. I think they're about to evict me from all of 'Goodreads' for spamming it up so much. Oh, and if you're extra-kind, you'll mention the 'KW' group too [Sniff, Why Doesn't Anyone Join My Groups?].

message 15: by M.L. (new)

M.L. That's funny! :-) I'll post, just let me know what the title is. They only have around 100 members but if they send out a group invite I expect the number will increase greatly.

The thing about KW is how many worlds there are - it's a built in readership from Vonnegut to Hugh Howey to Neal Stephenson- Mark Teppo and company, and Magic & Mayhem, big range. There is a new one, Atlantis, the first book is a big seller - I downloaded it for free on a promo. So it's a fun endeavor if someone has read something.

The only downside (at least in my case) is if you have not read all the series then you may tend to think it would be a good idea--just in case a major character died and now he's magically (or not so magically) brought back to life. Of course it could be a side adventure he had, so resolving that.

message 16: by M.L. (new)

M.L. Happy New Year - may the Foreworld Be With You (oh, groan).

Circling back about the SIA Showcase. The category most interesting to me is the Showcase, however, it seems to be a speedy carousel. I just looked and the updates from only an hour ago are already out of sight. The main topic shows 5 of 60+. Not sure if there is any way to slow it down but thought I'd mention it!

message 17: by C.B. Matson (new)

C.B. Matson Happy New Year as well, M.L, M.L., M.V., and M.T. (sort yourselves out). Moving Foreworld - so to speak - into 2017.

Hope everyone was too busy writing to notice that the holidays are over. I'll stoop to beg for a few posts here and there. Right, M.L. (Roberts)... Showcase just seems to be the oubliette of lost words. SIA still has some very good information, but I've given up posting, as most of my self-serving churlishness seems to get expunged without comment.

But enough about me... who's gonna finish sump'n cool in '17??

message 18: by M.L. (new)

M.L. (I didn't realized how many Ms there are!)
Well, I'll put my stake in the ground (hope it isn't quicksand). The plan is to publish by end of Feb. This is a segment of what I was working on, should be about 25K words, but covers a more limited timeframe and geo area. I have 3 possible covers, title, need a few chapters, and then review and edit, but not take forever editing. At least that's the plan. Beyond that, I would like to talk about it but the part of me that doesn't want to give it up is winning out! For the moment. :)

message 19: by Mike, Vor Dweeb (new)

who's gonna finish sump'n cool in '17??

Finish this year? That or die.
Cool? Sigh....

Last months have me frazzled as I've been worrying over my first change in job status in 36 years. Corporate entity is taking over former single-owner operation Wed Feb 1. Much nervousness ensuing. Haven't done more than post some snippets and notes to Scrivener spanning three or four different projects over the last month or two, doing a lot more reading, tv, eating, other escapist fare because real thinking gets hard sometimes right now. (Reversed some decent weight loss, but not completely, lol).

message 20: by Mike, Vor Dweeb (new)

M.L. Roberts wrote: "(I didn't realized how many Ms there are!)
Well, I'll put my stake in the ground (hope it isn't quicksand). The plan is to publish by end of Feb. This is a segment of what I was working on, should ..."

Sounds like a full novel in the making :-)
Keep pounding away, don't give away anything you don't,want to unless you need to bounce ideas around. We're pretty good at bouncing back around here :-)

message 21: by M.L. (last edited Jan 31, 2017 11:02AM) (new)

M.L. Mike wrote: "M.L. Roberts wrote: "(I didn't realized how many Ms there are!)
Well, I'll put my stake in the ground (hope it isn't quicksand). The plan is to publish by end of Feb. This is a segment of what I wa..."

Good luck on the job situation. I hope everything works out. As for my longer than anticipated novella, it's, hmm, just that. Now about 44K words! I should be in the 'print it out and review' stage by end of week, so still on target for mid-end of February. It's been fun writing it. Actually is fun writing it since may add a few more things/edit! :-)

message 22: by Mike, Vor Dweeb (new)

M.L. Roberts wrote: "Mike wrote: "M.L. Roberts wrote: "(I didn't realized how many Ms there are!)
Well, I'll put my stake in the ground (hope it isn't quicksand). The plan is to publish by end of Feb. This is a segment..."

44K sounds good, enough to flesh out most plots and a few characters, given 50K is the low end for a short novel. I inadvertently exceeded that with Crux Passages and my sequel looks to be shorter by quite a bit unless something new squeezes its way in by the time I get there. (There's an obvious additional sequel to make it a trilogy of short works, but still not sure I'll write that one. The stories that I want to tell wrap up neatly enough with the one sequel. Then I have a story further up the timeline, about 40 years after Crux Passages, focusing on one character, and I'm trying to adjust some of the early material to more naturally point toward what happens then. Hope to dive back into the partial rewrite and final edit of CruxP soon, before my beta readers forget it entirely!)