Mental Health Bookclub discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Nov/Dec Noms - MH Read

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Please nominate your books for our November-December mental health-themed read.

General guidelines:
- Has to be clearly about or featuring mental health. Beyond that it can be anything you want - fiction, non-fiction, poetry, essays etc.
- No self-nominating your own work please
- Please choose titles that are widely available and inexpensive - e.g. established enough to be likely available in local libraries and on sites such as Amazon for a relatively small cost.
- Please nominate (and later vote) for a title that you are actually willing and able to read! Votes will remain anonymous but it's not fair on other members to participate in nominations and voting without intending to read the book and participate in discussions.

Nominations will close on Monday 17th and the poll will open on the same day. No seconding of nominations required, all will go into the poll unless they aren't in line with the guidelines above.

Happy nominating!

message 2: by Sruthy (last edited Oct 10, 2016 10:22AM) (new)

Sruthy The center cannot hold- Elyn Saks
The Center Cannot Hold My Journey Through Madness by Elyn R. Saks

message 3: by Carol (last edited Oct 10, 2016 11:45AM) (new)

Carol (bookbakery) Please define inexpensive as in a range. I have several that I can choose one to nominate. I have an idea of what I would not pay for a book, but since I am new, it would help me to have a top price that is the basic consensus among this group. Thanks :)

If this is the wrong thread.., please direct me to where to put it.

message 4: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Sure Carol, thanks for the question. To be honest, there's no hard and fast rule as different people will have different limits.

Personally, if I'm going to have to buy a book for a book club read, I wouldn't vote for a book that was over £10, so I'd aim for something in the £5-£10 when nominating. I suppose think about now much you would be willing to pay if a book you didn't nominate won and you still wanted to participate - you might not like the book so what would you pay for it?

Sorry I can't be clearer!

message 5: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Sorry just re-read your post - so far we haven't had a consensus about a top limit as the guidelines only came in for the last round (Sep/Oct) and haven't had a lot of feedback!

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol (bookbakery) so, somewhere between $6.14 and $12.28. I was thinking the same range. I was thinking about $10 being the top of what I would want to pay for a book. Maybe more people will give feedback.

message 7: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) I guess I would be willing to spend max. 10€ for a group read book. So I see we're more or less all of like mind here, at least the three of us who have stated our opinion.

message 8: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) I would like to nominate Asylum Piece by Anna Kavan. It seems to be pretty widely available on Amazon, and there is also a Kindle edition.

@Jo, the book you nominated was one I was thinking about nominating, too.

message 9: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Thanks for the nominations so far!

I'd like to nominate Finding Audrey

message 10: by Sruthy (new)

Sruthy I usually set an upper limit of about 6euros when buying books online. Then again I usually buy used books, so 10 pounds for first hand copies is okay with me too.
@Marina: I was fascinated by her TED talk, may be you have seen it too but the book you nominated looks really interesting too.

message 11: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) Jo wrote: "@Marina: I was fascinated by her TED talk, may be you have seen it too but the book you nominated looks really interesting too. "

No, I haven't seen it, I'll have to check it out. I can't remember now how I came across her book, probably thanks to some GR listopia – I think it must be extremely interesting.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.