Lincoln Parish Library discussion

Reading Challenges > October 2016 Reading Challenge: The Book Olympics

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (last edited Oct 10, 2016 08:25AM) (new)

Rebecca | 215 comments It’s getting to be about that time again, patrons, time for book awards and nominations to start rolling out. No matter which award list I look at, I always find a title or two that I’ve been hearing about nonstop but haven’t read and I always find a few that sound awesome but I’ve heard nothing about. To get to some of these, this month we’re going to read a book that was either nominated or won a national/international award. (Below the challenge, you’ll find links to some award sites with several years’ worth of lists.) The Gold Nugget shelf is also a great place to find these books.

The Fifth Season (The Broken Earth, #1) by N.K. Jemisin
This month, I’ll be reading The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin which won the Hugo Award for Best Novel (2016), Nebula Award Nominee for Best Novel (2015), Locus Award Nominee for Best Fantasy Novel (2016), and Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for Fantasy (2015). I’ve been hearing about this book A LOT and have been trying to wait to read it when it’s my turn to choose the book for my book club, but I can’t wait anymore!

Tell me what you’ve found and how you like it!

The Man Booker Prize-General Fiction
National Book Awards-General Fiction
Nobel Prize in Literature
PEN/Faulkner Award
Agatha Awards-Mystery
Edgar Awards-Mystery
The Hugo Awards -Science Fiction/Fantasy
The Eisner Awards -Graphic Novels

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda Mallet (lmallet) | 20 comments I'm reading "Strangers on a Train" it was Edgar Award nominee for best first novel (1951)

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 215 comments Linda wrote: "I'm reading "Strangers on a Train" it was Edgar Award nominee for best first novel (1951)"

That's a great one! Patricia Highsmith is fantastic!

message 4: by Tiffani (new)

Tiffani Erickson (xxreddxx) | 5 comments I haven't read any of these, but plan to add some to my "to-read" list, here on Goodreads.