General Fiction Forum Expats discussion

The Rosie Project > WEEK ONE DISCUSSION

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debbie (last edited Oct 09, 2016 08:03PM) (new)

Debbie (dhaupt) | 4465 comments Mod
Week one Chapters 1through 12

Thank you for joining in on The Rosie Project discussion, remember this is your discussion so please just use my questions as a jumping off point so if there is something you want discussed bring it up.

1. First thoughts

2. What was your first impression of Don?

3. If you were casting an actor to play him who would it be.

4. What is your first impression of Rosie?

There will be more questions midweek

message 2: by Ang from OZ (new)

Ang from OZ | 1679 comments Yay! Great questions Deb! Be back with my answers soon! :)

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 10, 2016 08:12AM) (new)

So far, this book is a hoot! Don is Sheldon Cooper up one side and down the other! I want to slap both characters for the things they say and do, but their actions are what keep me reading this book and watching The Big Bang Theory.

That said, I guess Jim Parsons would be the perfect actor to cast, though when reading the book, I didn't visualize Don looking like him. I'll have to do more thinking to come up with another actor.

Rosie came flying on the scene like a whirlwind and I think she's just what Don needs. She knows how to handle Don, much like Penny knows how to handle Sheldon.

I forced myself to stop reading at chapter 12, but I am very anxious to continue.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Just to clarify one thing from my comments above.....

When I said Rosie is just what Don needs, I didn't necessarily mean as a wife (not at this point at least), but definitely as someone he needs to interact with. He needs to spend time with people who will make him step outside the box.

message 5: by Debbie (new)

TarHeelGirl00 wrote: "Just to clarify one thing from my comments above.....

When I said Rosie is just what Don needs, I didn't necessarily mean as a wife (not at this point at least), but definitely as someone he needs..."

That's exactly how I took it TarHeelGirl
BTW were you affected by Matthew?

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 10, 2016 04:16PM) (new)

Debbie wrote: "TarHeelGirl00 wrote: "Just to clarify one thing from my comments above.....

When I said Rosie is just what Don needs, I didn't necessarily mean as a wife (not at this point at least), but definite..."

Thanks for asking! We just got a lot of rain here. I just posted a comment on the off-topic thread.

message 7: by Ang from OZ (new)

Ang from OZ | 1679 comments First thoughts, I'm really enjoying it. The story is fun and quirky! Definitely a respite to the heavy crime thrillers I've been reading lately.

First impressions of Don, I was thinking, Oh my gosh! What a weirdo! He is really a good comparison to Sheldon in mannerism, Tarheelgirl. I must admit I'm not a fan of the Big Bang TV Show.

I picture Don as looking a little like the actor "Andrien Brody"

And Rosie, what a spitfire. I was chuckling to myself as I was reading thinking, wow is she going to take Don out of his comfort zone or what!

All in all, I'm really having fun reading the story so far! Excited to see what happens next!

message 8: by Debbie (new)

I really like the book so far all the characters are a hoot. Some I like better than others.

My first impression of Don reminded me of a saying my Grandmother used to tell me of being book smart but not common sense smart. I don't watch the Big Bang Theory that often but he does remind me of those characters.

Because of how fit our hero is I would cast Ben Affleck with glasses like his latest role, The Accountant

I thought Rosie was very free spirited and funny, I didn't like her tendency to steal, I'm keeping an open mind about her.

I also had to make myself stop reading after chapter 12 :)
Great choice guys!!!

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 12, 2016 12:58PM) (new)

Deb, Ben Affleck with glasses is a good choice. I can also see Andrien Brody, Ang. I think Ben Stiller with glasses is also a fit. All three have dark hair and somewhat similar build. Looks like we all are "seeing" him about the same.

description

message 10: by Ang from OZ (new)

Ang from OZ | 1679 comments What are everyone's pick to play Rosie? I'm still trying to figure out my mental picture of her.

message 11: by Debbie (new)

Keep thinking about Rosie and I'll ask that question next week
I sort of have an idea for her but she's harder to place for me I"m hoping one more week reading about her will open up the possibilities more

Great conversation so far!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Debbie wrote: "Keep thinking about Rosie and I'll ask that question next week
I sort of have an idea for her but she's harder to place for me I"m hoping one more week reading about her will open up the possibilit..."

Sounds good. I need to keep reading some more to get a good picture of her too!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Susan, aren't you reading this one too? The election must have you bogged down!

message 14: by Ang from OZ (new)

Ang from OZ | 1679 comments Well I am glad to hear everyone else doesn't have a clear mental picture of Rosie as well. And yes I think more reading should sort that out! I'm going to start in on the next chapters hopefully this afternoon.

message 15: by Debbie (new)

TarHeelGirl00 wrote: "Deb, Ben Affleck with glasses is a good choice. I can also see Andrien Brody, Ang. I think Ben Stiller with glasses is also a fit. All three have dark hair and somewhat similar build. Looks like we..."

Oh I kind of like Ben Stiller better now, thanks!

message 16: by Debbie (new)

Susan wrote: "I am here. Long hours have kept me at bay

I like the book alot
I wish I could be as organized as Don, but I can see him getting side tracked. He makes shopping at market so easy. I feel sorry for ..."

Thanks for joining in I know with the upcoming elections you must be really busy!

message 17: by Debbie (new)

Ang from OZ wrote: "Well I am glad to hear everyone else doesn't have a clear mental picture of Rosie as well. And yes I think more reading should sort that out! I'm going to start in on the next chapters hopefully th..."

I hope to start this weekend too!

message 18: by Ang from OZ (new)

Ang from OZ | 1679 comments Just finished the next section, oh my gosh!!! It's so hard to not continue reading on.... so far I've succeeded..... I keep picking the book up, and then telling myself "NO" and putting it back down! Can't wait for next week's discussion!

message 19: by Ang from OZ (new)

Ang from OZ | 1679 comments Deb or Tarheelgirl, could one of you post a picture of Chris Hemsworth in his role in the Ghostbusters movie!!! I can't figure out how to do it!!!

message 20: by Debbie (new)

Here he is Ang

message 21: by Ang from OZ (new)

Ang from OZ | 1679 comments Thanks Deb, I really love Hemsy! He's not the perfect looking "Don" but I'd certainly watch The Rosie Project if he were in it!! And added bonus he's a Aussie!! :)