World, Writing, Wealth discussion

All Things Writing & Publishing > Question re: Site

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Leviathan Libraries (leviathanlibraries) Sorry if it doesn't fit under this category, as I'm a reviewer, not a writer, but I couldn't decide where else it might go.

What else can I do?

So, in my efforts to promote indie and self-pubbed authors, one of the things I do is run a mini 'book hub'. Authors of sci-fi and horror list their book with me (for free) for up to 3 months at a time. I give their book a slot under the books for review tab on my site. The cover on the main page links to their book's page, and if a reviewer is interested, they just fill out the form, get the book, etc.

I have a cycle of book promotion tweet/facebook/google+ where I give each one a moment in the sun to try to get people interested in doing it.

.....I get very few results. Not nearly as much as I was hoping for, but I honestly can't figure out what else to do!!

I know my site isn't the most sophisticated/fancy looking, but I don't think that's the problem. Most everyone compliments me on the 'clean' and simple look/feel of it. Everything laid out in an orderly fashion and whatnot.

I don't try to diversify too much - I only list sci-fi and horror. I'm in the process of instituting quality control over the books (you can see a 'readability factor' on each book's individual page.)

I do operate it in a very unique fashion (one that has been universally praised by all the authors that have listed with me AND the reviewers that have received books from me.) That is - all my authors have sworn to not have any contact with their reviewers at all. - This was because of an impromptu survey where one of the primary reasons people didn't read more from self-pubbed and indie authors was the fear of 'the crazy author'. The one who stalks you and makes your life crap if you don't like their book.

So...er...suggestions would be welcome.

Here's the direct main page link. Books for Review .

Thanks!

message 2: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 0 comments I think you're also dealing with a rather smaller pool of authors to start with, so hence the 'lack' of more engagement. I don't know for other genres as much, but I know romance is expected to get pushed everywhere, in your face, while other genres are more, let us say, conservative in their approach and they rely on word of mouth and such dissemination tools more than actual advertising and being listed everywhere.

message 3: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13438 comments Some excellent and helpful enterprise, Lilyn. This system should work, for all I know. Not for every title, but you get occasional reviews and there is a time cycle while the books are available for review. I think something like this or similar works at onlinebookclub, bookhippo.uk and other sites.
I've checked the page.. It looks good, but maybe some provisos dessuade the prospective reviewers a bit? -:) Like that the page is not in it's final form, and this stalking problem. I wouldn't think of it, but you raise it here, while having it supposedly solved. So maybe unnecessary. Also, the system where some titles were checked and some weren't make reviewers wonder, whether it's worth diving into it...
So overall presentation, IMO, more discouraging than encouraging -:)
Maybe something like: "Dear Sci-Fi and Horror fans, here is the rare opportunity to have a free read and maybe intercept a future best-seller before anyone else?" Something like that they don't have to keep reading if the book not to their liking, maybe even not to demand a review, but rather suggest they may leave one...
And bringing traffic, expanding reviewers' list....
Hope this helps. And I think your site is cool!

Leviathan Libraries (leviathanlibraries) Zee wrote: "I think you're also dealing with a rather smaller pool of authors to start with, so hence the 'lack' of more engagement. I don't know for other genres as much, but I know romance is expected to get..."

Thanks for the input :) I'm sure that has something to do with it!

message 5: by Leviathan Libraries (last edited Oct 10, 2016 05:27AM) (new)

Leviathan Libraries (leviathanlibraries) Nik wrote: "Some excellent and helpful enterprise, Lilyn. This system should work, for all I know. Not for every title, but you get occasional reviews and there is a time cycle while the books are available fo..."

I've made the changes based upon the feedback you've given. Would you mind having another look?

Thanks!

message 6: by Nik (last edited Oct 10, 2016 12:46PM) (new)

Nik Krasno | 13438 comments I think it's much more inviting now! I'd even add excitement something about 'free books with probably some real gems among them' .

Small things:
Not sure you need to go with something that legal as 'assuming responsibility', especially on something ambiguous as posting or not posting reviews. But that's probably a lawyer speaking in me. And also vetting for readability - you may end up with some backlash. You offer a platform, books, that's probably good enough. Not sure you need to take upon yourself much more than that.'
Even the giant Amazon's vetting for readability, imo, isn't worth much and they don't seem to be bothered -:)

Leviathan Libraries (leviathanlibraries) Nik wrote: "I think it's much more inviting now! I'd even add excitement something about 'free books with probably some real gems among them' .

Small things:
Not sure you need to go with something that legal ..."

Further changes made. Thanks so much!

I've not really had anyone I can ask for advice on refining the site other than friends who can only give me a basic 'looks good' or whatnot. So I really appreciate it.

message 8: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13438 comments Welcome, Lilyn. Hope it helps!

message 9: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9477 comments I just had a look at the site and I thought, Hey, why don't I offer a book for review. I go to the author's column, and find you only deal with authors who you have previously dealt with. I am afraid that is a bit of a turn off.

Leviathan Libraries (leviathanlibraries) Ian - no, Thats a different thing. -I- am closed to review things personally. This is talking about books for the book hub only.

message 11: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9477 comments Lilyn, fair enough, but the first line that started this discussion suggested you were a reviewer, and I took that to the site. Maybe the purpose of the site could be made clearer? My only suggestion.