Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > Matte or gloss?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ahmed (new)

Ahmed Al-Sheikh | 48 comments Not sure what to do for my hardcover rerelease of my novel. Anyone willing to help me figure this out?

message 2: by A.S. (new)

A.S. Arnett (aaronsarnett) | 7 comments Sure, my two cents, I would say go with matte. It will appear consistent under varied lighting.

message 3: by Carole (last edited Oct 09, 2016 03:02PM) (new)

Carole P. Roman They say gloss for kid's books and matte for adult.

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Jesinghaus (jessjesinghhaus) | 78 comments I'd learn toward matte too, but I think it would depend on the cover graphics. Is it people or objects/abstracts on the cover?

message 5: by Martin (new)

Martin Wilsey | 447 comments I usually run proofs of each. Most recently I picked glossy.

message 6: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Are you doing a dust jacket with a cloth cover? If so, matte might look better for fiction. Most hardcover books I've seen with glossy covers have been nonfiction.

message 7: by Wally (new)

Wally Runnels (wrunnelspacbellnet) | 90 comments Matte is okay if it's art. Glossy is fine if it's photography.

message 8: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Carole wrote: "They say gloss for kid's books and matte for adult."

That's the first time I hear that. Does that mean all the fantasy I have read were kid books? :p (From mass paper books to wrapped around hard cover, they were all glossy) I think it depends on pictures and what you want to achieve, not the age of the readers.

message 9: by Ahmed (new)

Ahmed Al-Sheikh | 48 comments Okay, more details. Young adult to adult range, hardcover with no dust jacket. If you want to see image, look at Lunen Triblood here on Goodreads.

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Jesinghaus (jessjesinghhaus) | 78 comments Ooh! That's tough. I think with that cover art and the (futuristic?) storyline I'd lean more toward glossy. But that's just my opinion.

message 11: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Oh I'd go with glossy! :)

message 12: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Clark (tlcauthor) | 727 comments I think I'd go glossy with that too; might help add depth to the 'space'?

message 13: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman G.G. wrote: "Carole wrote: "They say gloss for kid's books and matte for adult."

That's the first time I hear that. Does that mean all the fantasy I have read were kid books? :p (From mass paper books to wrapp..."

I remember when they added the two types, I contacted Createspace to ask the difference. I preferred the look of glossy, but that is what they told me. I changed all my son's books to matte and kept mine glossy. Personally, I don't think it matters. I hate the feel of the matte. I am a big paperback reader and every paperback book I purchase from Amazon in adult popular fiction is that matte style. I usually read most everything that's trending in popular fiction.

message 14: by C.A. (new)

C.A. Pack (capack) | 50 comments Matte photographs well with no reflection. I used it for a stock photography cover on a YA literary novella and it was beautiful. I just received a proof back for a novel in a ya fantasy series, which I ordered a matte cover. It has custom artwork in keeping with earlier books in the series. They were all gloss. I will re-order this fantasy book with gloss as well. The matte looks fine, but it doesn't look fantastical.

message 15: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments I have been only or at least mostly reading and buying indies. I checked for kicks. I have 30 glossy covers (that includes two of mine though), and 17 matte. I know that one of those matte covers have been redone in glossy since I got it.

A popular series for YA, The Fifth Wave, is...well hard to tell. I have one in paperback and 2 in hard covers. While they seemed more matte, the title is in bright glossy letters and the last book of the trilogy is more glossy than matte. Does that help decide what to choose? I doubt it but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Personally, I don't check if a book cover is glossy or matte before I buy it. Whether it is indies or trad pub. I don't see why it should matter. Most are bought on Amazon anyways. So go with what your heart tells you to choose. You can't go wrong. It's your book after all. :)

message 16: by Ken (last edited Oct 11, 2016 07:58AM) (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) I've found that my paperback covers look better glossy. My hardcovers are the traditional blue cloth with glossy dust jackets. I think they look perfectly fine. To me the matte looks a little drab, at least for my covers.

message 17: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 787 comments I always go with glossy but that's because one, I believe glossy to be the standard and two I feel I'd go with matte if what was on the cover fit with matte if that makes sense. Like the image to which I'm showing would be better seen on that such finish.

message 18: by C.L. (new)

C.L. Lynch (cllynchauthor) | 316 comments I'm not a fan of the feel of the matte and I notice that fingerprints show up on my advance proof copies really easily. That being said, I am going with matte. From what I've managed to gather, reviewers and librarians and look down on glossy books - there seems to be some kind of inherent snobbery that glossy = low quality (just to be clear, I don't agree or disagree with this, it's just what I've picked up in a lot of researching the subject).

message 19: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) | 190 comments I'm a glossy fan and my book covers look better in glossy. I think it depends on the picture. I first started with Matte and didn't like it. Glossy looked so much better.

message 20: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

C.B. Archer | 1090 comments Mod
Ask for luster, that's 50% Matte, 50% Gloss!

message 21: by B.L. (new)

B.L. Teschner | 1 comments It might sound funny but I choose glossy because I don't like the way the matte covers feel against my fingertips lol. Glossy has more of a pleasant feel to me.

message 22: by Ahmed (new)

Ahmed Al-Sheikh | 48 comments Went with gloss. Finally putting out a hardcover through Ingram. Once I see the proof, barring some catastrophic issue that makes all of this a waste of time, I'll finally be able to do things at major book chains.

message 23: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Schleicher | 4 comments On top of some of the other good tips mentioned here to consider, also is seeing how your cover images/text appear on glossy versus matte paper.

I say that because I recently ordered a proof of a book I wrote/illustrated and had the cover printed glossy and it. look. BAD! Now, please note, I'm not against glossy at all - in fact, I prefer it. But, for me in this specific situation, the reason it looked bad was because I had applied a textured filter to some of the illustrations and on glossy paper it looked like a pixelated mess (think scrambled tv signal). But, on matte, it printed nicely - true to the actual illustration.

So, it's a pretty specific situation; however, depending on the style and graphics on your cover, the type of paper can affect the appearance of your cover. So, it's just something to consider.

(And, that if you don't like the way your cover looks, don't have a mini-meltdown and feel like you have to redo it from scratch like I almost did. It might just be the paper :-) )

Good luck!!