Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Page Numbering Requests > Number of pages

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JF (new)

JF | 45 comments Hello,
Could you please enter the number of pages for this book? It's 408 as shown right here:

http://www.livredepoche.com/zoo-micha...

Thank you!

message 2: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments Please provide the ISBN, even when linking to the book.

message 3: by Coffee (new)

Coffee (ivamalcam) | 4 comments Done

message 4: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments Worldcat has 400 pages for ISBN 9782253092971. What is on the last 8 pages? Libraries are generally a more authoritative source for page counts than publishers, who tend to count any blank pages at the beginning and the end.

message 5: by JF (last edited Oct 09, 2016 12:11PM) (new)

JF | 45 comments You have the right ISBN, but I have the book in my hands right now and the story really finishes at page 401 (although the last printed page number is indeed 400... don't know why they didn't print "401" at page 401). Then there is a blank page and then 3 pages of "from this author" followed by 3 blank pages, one with technical data, etc.

message 6: by lethe (last edited Oct 09, 2016 12:15PM) (new)

lethe | 13747 comments If the last page of text is not full, the page number is usually not printed.

What do you mean with technical data? I'm inclined to set the page count at 401, since we don't count blank pages and "from the author".

message 7: by JF (new)

JF | 45 comments Ok thanks for the info. Page 401 is indeed partially texted.

The "technical data" I'm talking about are info about the french editor. The name, the address, number of printing, date that it was submitted, certified by an organisation that recycles paper, etc. It occupies the second half of a page, the first half being blank.

message 8: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments Thanks, have changed page count to 401. If a higher authority decides that the colophon should be included even with all the pages preceding it not having to do with the book itself, the page count should be 401+1+3+3+1(colophon)=409(?) pages.

message 9: by JF (new)

JF | 45 comments I guess so... 409 would be the inside of the back cover.

message 10: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments You said "followed by 3 blank pages, one with technical data, etc.". If you meant one of those 3 pages has the technical data, it's not blank :P

So then it would be 401+1+3+2+1(colophon)=408 pages.

message 11: by JF (new)

JF | 45 comments You are right.