2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Slices of Night (Taylor Jackson; Maggie O'Dell, #9.5; Stacy Killian, #4.5; The Malones, #5.5)
This topic is about Slices of Night
Slices of Night > Question F

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7619 comments Mod
Another story where Maggie's not profiling. Is it the author or the character?

Robin (robinmy) | 1213 comments I think most real Profilers get sent to the field to look over the evidence and draw a profile for the lead detectives on the case. In most cases, they don't get to lead the case and be the actual investigator. Their expertise is to help the detectives/agents in various cases narrow down their suspects. I don't know if you could build a whole book behind a profiler unless she is going to stick around to keep refining the suspect list. Otherwise, you probably have Maggie who ends up investigating the whole case.

I've read quite a few books/series featuring a recurring character as a profiler. Most notably is the Tony Hill/Carol Jordan series by Val McDermid. Typically, the profiler is linked with a local law enforcement group who does the actual investigating. That's how the TV show Criminal Minds portrays their profilers...local law enforcement leads the investigation and the profilers help define the unsub.

That was my expectation going into this series. I'm believing the author has designed this character to not follow this model and it explains why I'm so disappointed in the character and series.

Phrynne | 601 comments Totally agree Jonetta. Kava should just have made Maggie a police officer.

Or just a regular FBI agent.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments Agree with you, totally!