Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Author Resource Round Table > Aaaaargh Windows! Why don't I get a Mac???

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by T.J. (last edited Oct 09, 2016 09:04AM) (new)

T.J. (teejayslee) | 1 comments Got a malware warning on my Windows laptop and the Malware program suggested to kill it, so I clicked 'yes' and it killed it alright - and killed my PC too! It just booted to a blank screen. Hours of Googling later and trying different weirdo nerdy hacks that didn't work I ended up having to reinstall Windows, then reinstall all my programs, and THEN reinstall 190 Windows updates (not even kidding) so there went that weekend!!

There has to be a better way. I had a Mac in school, I guess it's time to give up and go back!

message 2: by Lenita (new)

Lenita Sheridan | 1010 comments Yes, I agree. I have a MacBook Pro and I love it. I did have my hotmail hacked once, but Microsoft helped me fix it and now it's super secure.

message 3: by Sushant (new)

Sushant Sawant (sushantsawant) | 31 comments The main reason for me to not get a Mac is because being using WIndows for more than 10 years, windows feels more like home to me. Yes I agree, Mac might be more stable OS than the Windows, but don't want to switch to Mac because everyone is saying so.

message 4: by Alex (last edited Oct 09, 2016 05:46PM) (new)

Alex (asato) i don't think that either one is inherently better than the other. one thing to consider is that windows machines are cheaper than macs.

windows 8.1 (which I got back in 2013) and 10 (which I just bought last year) are stable. be sure to install the security tools (which includes Defender, their anti-virus software) and to have OS and browser auto-updates installed.

be aware that since Microsoft is moving to the cloud (as most software companies are), FWIW, my prediction is that their OS will become less a part of their business over the next 10 years.

since 2011, i've have a Macbook Pro as well. OS X 10.11.6 (El Capitan) and I was just prompted to update to Sierra (OS X 10.12), which I will probably do. It's a minor update. Macs are quite popular now, so make sure to also install antivirus software. i use Sophos, which is free.

message 5: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 154 comments As Alex said, be sure update your Defender programs and run full scans once a week if you use your PC a lot. Another good idea is to get a different, tougher antivirus installed (I've found free AVG does the trick, as it picked up malware Defender hadn't picked up on my husband's Windows 7 notebook).

You have to bear in mind the cost for Mac, and that everything is then only Mac when you go that route. There is more compatibility and adaptability with Windows out there.

message 6: by Mellie (new)

Mellie (mellie42) | 543 comments Mac + Scrivener + Vellum = all you will ever need for writing & publishing :)

message 7: by Nihar (new)

Nihar Suthar (niharsuthar) | 386 comments I use a PC and as long you're careful to have a malware software and watch what websites you go on, you shouldn't have a problem. I also like how much you can get on a PC for the price. You get much more technology and speed. However, Macs have some of the best body designs I have seen! So, it's really up to you on what you value most. Price/performance or design.

I personally prefer buying PCs and switching them out every few years, and this is possible to do since they are so cheap :)

-Nihar
www.niharsuthar.com

message 8: by Jen Pattison (new)

Jen Pattison | 17 comments Whenever we've had a problem with malware on Windows, my husband has shut the computer down, switched on again and when you get the white-on-black techie stuff he takes the computer back to its settings a few days previously. You've probably all noticed by the way I've written that that I'm not a techie!

I got a MacBook Air nearly 2 years ago and love it, it's so light for travelling too, though I still have my Windows desktop for using Word and Excel. Macs are not so secure as they're made out to be though as I've read that hackers love the challenge of trying to hack Apple - I've had no probs with mine though. I am very careful to avoid dodgy sites, to clear history regularly and have strong passwords with a different one for every account.

message 9: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Zee wrote: "(I've found free AVG does the trick, as it picked up malware Defender hadn't picked up on my husband's Windows 7 notebook)"

excellent. i'll give AVG a shot. thx!