Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

42 views
Questions > Listing formats for eBooks

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 649 comments Why is it that there are three listings for eBooks? There is Kindle Edition, Nook, and ebook.

The problem with this is that ebook and nook are the same. They are both ePub with the same ISBN. So when one is put in first, it screws the other because they are the same eBooks with the same ISBN. Nook really should go since it is the same as ebook.


message 2: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments Nook editions have an 'ISBN' starting with 294. If they have an ISBN-13 starting with 978 there is no reason to list them as a Nook.


message 3: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 649 comments lethe wrote: "Nook editions have an 'ISBN' starting with 294. If they have an ISBN-13 starting with 978 there is no reason to list them as a Nook."

eBooks sold by B&N (Nook) use the same ISBN as an ePub sold from Kobo as they are the same eBook. Take the book Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson (I have this one from B&N). The ISBN is 978-1-4156-4855-3. From the listing at Kobo, the ISBN is 9781451648553.

As we can see, identical. Why have two listings for the same eBook? They are THE SAME EBOOK WITH THE SAME ISBN. There is no reason to have both.

Also, there is no reason to have Kindle Edition as it too is just an eBook. If you are going to have a Kindle Edition, then also have ePub edition as that's the other format used for eBooks. It's not Nook or iBooks any other brand name.


Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 4696 comments JSWolf wrote: "Why is it that there are three listings for eBooks? There is Kindle Edition, Nook, and ebook.

The problem with this is that ebook and nook are the same. They are both ePub with the same ISBN. So w..."


You could start a discussion thread in Feedback if you want changes to the site. :)


message 5: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments JSWolf wrote: "Why have two listings for the same eBook? They are THE SAME EBOOK WITH THE SAME ISBN. There is no reason to have both."

And there is no reason to shout.

The reason Kindle and Nook editions get their own listing on GR is because they both have their own specific identifiers. Kindles have ASINs, Nooks have EANs starting with 294. They may both have 'underlying' ISBNs, but they are listed on GR in those formats and with their own unique identifiers because people with those types of ereaders might search for them that way.

The person who added the one Nook edition for the Steve Jobs book didn't give any discerning info other than format and page count, but that doesn't make it any less valid.

If you are going to have a Kindle Edition, then also have ePub edition as that's the other format used for eBooks.

Some books are only published as Kindle editions. And most of them are imported by bots anyway, so if there are ePub editions they too will be added by bots.

Lastly, as Carol already said, if you want to challenge the policy you should try the Feedback Group, not here, because librarians don't make the policy.


message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42472 comments Mod
lethe wrote: "The reason Kindle and Nook editions get their own listing on GR is because they both have their own specific identifiers. Kindles have ASINs, Nooks have EANs starting with 294. They may both have 'underlying' ISBNs, but they are listed on GR in those formats and with their own unique identifiers because people with those types of ereaders might search for them that way."

This is exactly correct.


message 7: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 649 comments rivka wrote: "lethe wrote: "The reason Kindle and Nook editions get their own listing on GR is because they both have their own specific identifiers. Kindles have ASINs, Nooks have EANs starting with 294. They m..."

Why are there listings for Nook when the eBook is NOT any different? When it has the exact same ISBN and is not specific to B&N? All this is doing is making many many listings in the database for a format that is incorrect.


message 8: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments For the millionth time: Nooks should have EANs starting with 294. Kindle editions have ASINs. If they don't, they are ebooks.


message 9: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23816 comments And epubs are not the definitive ebook either, I always buy PDFs, and would hate to have my books listed as epubs. Just saying.


message 10: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 649 comments lethe wrote: "For the millionth time: Nooks should have EANs starting with 294. Kindle editions have ASINs. If they don't, they are ebooks."

Given that Nook listings should be for books that start with 294, why are there listings for Nook where the eBooks have an ISBN of 978?


message 11: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments JSWolf wrote: "why are there listings for Nook where the eBooks have an ISBN of 978"

For the millionth and one time: give us *links* to those Nook listings. I haven't found any on Goodreads with an ISBN of 978.

(And FYI, we cannot use B&N and other booksellers as a source of book info.)


message 12: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments lethe wrote: "And FYI, we cannot use B&N and other booksellers as a source of book info."

What this means is that if a book is listed as a Nook edition with an ISBN *on Goodreads* we can change it to ebook.

If it is listed as a Nook edition with no ISBN/EAN, it is not enough to say "but B&N lists this as an ebook with ISBN 978". We cannot use that info.


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6676 comments JSWolf wrote: "Why are there listings for Nook when the eBook is NOT any different? "

Why are there 2 or 3 or 4 listings for a paper back when the book is not any different? Because they have different ISBNs. Nook and Kindle have different ISBNs (or ASINs/bnids).


message 14: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 649 comments lethe wrote: "JSWolf wrote: "why are there listings for Nook where the eBooks have an ISBN of 978"

For the millionth and one time: give us *links* to those Nook listings. I haven't found any on Goodreads with a..."


I don't have a listing of Nook with an ISBN. But I can give you listings of Nook with no ISBN which is the EXACT SAME book as eBook. The Nook listing should not exist since it is a duplicate with an incorrect format.


message 15: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 649 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "JSWolf wrote: "Why are there listings for Nook when the eBook is NOT any different? "

Why are there 2 or 3 or 4 listings for a paper back when the book is not any different? Because they have diff..."


Most books sold via B&N are exactly the same ISBN as those sold via Kobo or Google. So why is there is listing for Nook when it isn't any different? I get the different versions with different ISBN. But I don't get why multiple listings for eBooks of the same format with the same ISBN.

Take a look at the following eBook listing from the publishers site. The eBook is Star Trek: DS9: Rules of Accusation

http://www.simonandschuster.biz/books...

There is the listing for the eBook and it links to other sites to buy it. Accroding to the publisher, the ISBN is 9781501110689.

Now look at the link for B&N. http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-756730...

Do you see the number at the end of the link for B&N? That is the same number as the ISBN number for the eBook. This then proves that the ISBN number for the eBook at B&N is the same as the ISBN number for the ePub edition which is listed here under eBook. There is also a listing under Nook. That listing is wrong and needs to go away.

https://www.goodreads.com/work/editio...

Now because you say we cannot use the ISBN at B&N's site, then there is no reason to have a Nook edition unless a user puts it in and it has to have an ISBN that does not start 978 because you cannot use such.

Let's also take this same eBook and apply it to Amazon. You cannot use the ASIN from Amazon's website because they are just the seller and not the publisher. You have to get it from the eBook and not Amazon.com. So unless someone with the Kindle edition puts up a listing, there should be NO listing for this eBook in a Kindle edition. Yes, you can go to the publisher website for this eBook and parse the URL to get the ASIN, but is that what GR is doing and if not, then the Kindle entry for this eBook is invalid.


message 16: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 20221 comments JSWolf wrote: "Take a look at the following eBook listing from the publishers site. The eBook is Star Trek: DS9: Rules of Accusation

http://www.simonandschuster.biz/books...

There is the listing for the eBook and it links to other sites to buy it. Accroding to the publisher, the ISBN is 9781501110689.

Now look at the link for B&N. http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-756730...

Do you see the number at the end of the link for B&N? That is the same number as the ISBN number for the eBook. This then proves that the ISBN number for the eBook at B&N is the same as the ISBN number for the ePub edition which is listed here under eBook. There is also a listing under Nook. That listing is wrong and needs to go away. "


Merged the Nook edition into the ebook edition with isbn 9781501110689, as there is no reason for a Nook edition for this book.

Every user can add books to Goodreads, and sometimes that results in incomplete or incorrect editions. Not every user knows every detail of GR policy.


message 17: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments JSWolf wrote: "Let's also take this same eBook and apply it to Amazon. You cannot use the ASIN from Amazon's website because they are just the seller and not the publisher. You have to get it from the eBook and not Amazon.com. So unless someone with the Kindle edition puts up a listing, there should be NO listing for this eBook in a Kindle edition. Yes, you can go to the publisher website for this eBook and parse the URL to get the ASIN, but is that what GR is doing and if not, then the Kindle entry for this eBook is invalid."

This was already answered by Tal in the Feedback thread. Kindle editions are Amazon-specific and the information should *only* come from Amazon when added (page count, f.e.). Goodreads also uses Amazon import bots, and most of the Kindle editions are added that way.

(And yes, Amazon is a bookseller, but it also owns Goodreads. That's why we are allowed to user their book covers and info.)


message 18: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 649 comments Arenda wrote: "JSWolf wrote: "Take a look at the following eBook listing from the publishers site. The eBook is Star Trek: DS9: Rules of Accusation

http://www.simonandschuster.biz/books...

There is the listing..."


I've posted in the Librarian group and all I'm getting is flack about it. can you please have a look and fix this? If there is a better way to report these, I'm all ears.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...


message 19: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 649 comments lethe wrote: "JSWolf wrote: "Let's also take this same eBook and apply it to Amazon. You cannot use the ASIN from Amazon's website because they are just the seller and not the publisher. You have to get it from ..."

B&N also get their eBook information from the publisher. So why would that not be allowed? Does the B&N bot add a Nook edition?


message 20: by Arenda (last edited Oct 10, 2016 11:14AM) (new)

Arenda | 20221 comments JSWolf wrote: "I've posted in the Librarian group and all I'm getting is flack about it. can you please have a look and fix this? If there is a better way to report these, I'm all ears."

Sorry?
I've already fixed it as I said in message #16.
Here is the link to all editions (two Kindle and one ebook edition): https://www.goodreads.com/work/editio...

Next time, please start a new thread for a specific request, rather than including it in this discussion thread that seems already rather heated.


message 21: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments I think he is talking about The Girl on the Train here (Nook edition, no Nook ID).

Should we really assume that all editions entered as Nook but without Nook ID are just ebooks instead?


message 22: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 649 comments lethe wrote: "I think he is talking about The Girl on the Train here (Nook edition, no Nook ID).

Should we really assume that all editions entered as Nook but without Nook ID are just ebooks instead?"


If there is an eBook edition with an ISBN, t

Yes if there is an eBook edition of the same eBook or a Kindle version. A Nook book that the Nook format is ment to be used for would be exclusive to B&N. Thus, no other eBook seller would have it.


message 23: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 649 comments Arenda wrote: "JSWolf wrote: "I've posted in the Librarian group and all I'm getting is flack about it. can you please have a look and fix this? If there is a better way to report these, I'm all ears."

Sorry?
I'..."


I did start a thread in the Librarian group and so far I've got others trying to come up with excuses why it's not the same eBook as the one listed for eBook.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...


message 24: by Tal (new)

Tal (taliesien) JSWolf wrote: "Yes if there is an eBook edition of the same eBook or a Kindle version. A Nook book that the Nook format is ment to be used for would be exclusive to B&N. Thus, no other eBook seller would have it. "

That is not correct. Nook Press TOS

Nook Press is not exclusive, example:
Barbara Freethy's Take Me Home, self published on Nook Press with BN ID 2940156865239

and here the same title available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Take-Me-Home-C...

and again here on Kobo with a purchased ISBN13: https://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/ebo...


message 25: by Tal (new)

Tal (taliesien) lethe wrote: "Should we really assume that all editions entered as Nook but without Nook ID are just ebooks instead? "

I don't think you can assume anything. I think you need to verify whether there is or isn't a valid Nook Book (GR definition) by visiting the B&N (Nook Press) site since they are in fact the publisher in those cases. B&N is both a publisher and seller in these cases just as Kobo is for authors who self-publish through Writing Life.

Big 5 pubs are obviously not Nook Press pubs so those are easy to weed out.


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6676 comments JSWolf wrote: "I did start a thread in the Librarian group and so far I've got others trying to come up with excuses why it's not the same eBook as the one listed for eBook."

This *is* the librarian group.


back to top