World, Writing, Wealth discussion

Wealth & Economics > Where does Pokemon go?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 14868 comments We are witnessing this game spreading with extreme virality. Pokemon is conquering (already did?) the world with the light speed.
Accusations in being a spy program to provide photos of sensitive objects, bans in certain countries just add to the excitement.

Will Pokemon beat Angry Birds? -:)

message 2: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 0 comments It's been crazy here as well. My kids play it - my son even found a Pokémon on my kitchen counter the other day!

It can be a tool to track, because your Location feature must be enabled to allow you to play. Geo-tracking, anyone? But then again, we make it so easy to track us nowadays - social media, Instagram, tagging. It's just one more tool in the 'Big Brother' arsenal, innit?

message 3: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 14868 comments Zee wrote: "But then again, we make it so easy to track us nowadays - social media, Instagram, tagging. It's just one more tool..."

Those who claim it as a spy program, argue it's not about us -:) By placing pokemons on sensitive objects, you actually drive people taking 'innocent' pictures of those objects, like nuclear sites or military bases and thus one gains the ability to have real time pics from a few different sources... Don't know whether it's true, but I can see how it can work.
For example, if you suspect something's going on at some building or place - you just need to send a pokemon there and someone would come and make a pic for you -:)

message 4: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2248 comments Criminals have already been using it to find their next targets, waiting at hotspots for some unsuspecting player to show up at the wrong hour.

message 5: by Jen Pattison (new)

Jen Pattison | 409 comments I really couldn't say as I zone out of a lot of coverage about it, I just know that a lot of people are sick and tired of it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-...

J.J. wrote: "Criminals have already been using it to find their next targets, waiting at hotspots for some unsuspecting player to show up at the wrong hour."

I read that a couple of teenage boys were mugged for their phones in a London park whilst playing Pokemon.

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Kuhn (kevinkuhn) | 45 comments I don't know about muggings and military/government spying, but I do like how it get's kids and young adults outside and walking that normally wouldn't. We need more engaging games that reward people for positive health behaviors.

message 7: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 14868 comments Kevin wrote: " get's kids and young adults outside and walking ..."

They are so engaged they forget to look sideways when crossing the road -:) Geocaching is on the rise too.

message 8: by Jen Pattison (new)

Jen Pattison | 409 comments Nik wrote: "Kevin wrote: " get's kids and young adults outside and walking ..."

They are so engaged they forget to look sideways when crossing the road -:) Geocaching is on the rise too."

When I was in my teens my friends and I walked everywhere and that was common in my age group, we never expected our parents to ferry us about everywhere. How did the nation become so lazy? We used to check for oncoming traffic when crossing the road too, and we knew not to trespass.

BTW Nik, what's geocaching?

message 9: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 14868 comments Jen Pattison wrote: "BTW Nik, what's geocaching?."

Never played myself, but that's how it's explained:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocaching
And I hear lots of people play it. Met even a few enthusiasts here on GR

message 10: by Jen Pattison (new)

Jen Pattison | 409 comments Thanks Nik, it's jogged my memory as I did read about it a few years ago. It's a bit like orienteering, I've done that a few times and enjoyed it.