VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE discussion

FILM,TELEVISION & MUSIC > Why I will always miss Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan, destroyer of vegan vampire sissies (last edited Oct 09, 2016 01:46AM) (new)

Dan (dan2345) | 880 comments Mod
I think my love/hate/fascination with monsters started in 1989 when my parents took my sister and I on vacation to see Disney World and Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida. I was about eight or nine at the time. Anyway, I remember being at the hotel we were staying at one afternoon, and taking a break from swimming in the pool to go into the hotel room and turning on the TV to watch something. So, I flipped on HBO, and they were showing this movie called The Monster Squad. If you've never seen it, it's basically The Goonies only with the Universal Monsters instead of Pirates and their treasure (don't get me wrong, I grew up on that movie too).

I fell in love with it. At the time, I think the main reason I liked it so much was because it was about a bunch of kids around my age (in 1989!) who were badasses that stood up to Evil.

Anyway, that's how my fascination with monsters and horror started. Sounds rediculous, but if it wasn't for that movie, I wouldn't be here talking about this nor would I have gone on to read the works of Edgar Allan Poe, Stephen King, and other great pieces of literature in the horror genre.

Shortly after seeing that movie almost two-hundred times (yeah-I invented binge watching, LOL), that led me to go and watch the classic Univeral Monster movies like Dracula, Frankenstein, The Wolfman and so on. I also discovered more contemporary stuff like The Lost Boys, Fright Night, and Vamp (oh God, that movie scared me so much that I couldn't go back to it till I was twenty). Oh, and there were also the old Hammer films that were and still are cool as hell to this day, particularly the ones with Christopher Lee as Dracula and Peter Cushing as Van Helsing.

You see, out of all the baddies, werewolves, mummies, zombies, witches, Frankenstein and demons....the one that I always saw to be the most terrifying was the vampire.

Vampires, to me, are scary for one because the majority of the time they can pass themselves off as human, and then when they want to drink blood or whatever, we see what they really are when their fangs pop out, their eyes change to yellow or red, and maybe even their faces contort into a demonic anatomical structure, etc.. And they are the ones that sustain their immortality by drinking the blood of humans. I mean...stop and REALLY think about that for a moment...an Undead fanged thing that not only gets to live among us, but lives forever by feeding off the surrounding living humans night after night after night and so on. They live forever, but everyone around them has to die by that creature's hands (OR FANGS) in order for it to retain it's eternal existence. You really take that idea in and let it marinade in your brain long enough, you will think "fuck them, that's why they deserve the wooden stake through the heart or the various yet limited other ways to kill them".

You love to hate them and hate to love them.

Okay, leap forward, there was a period in my early twenties when I started to look at things differently. I became aware that Evil was a real concept and that was a scary realization for me at the time. I realized that vampires, depending on who you read or what you watch, are metaphors for that.

So I devoured almost everything that had to do with vampires. Movies, books, TV shows, comic books. I liked all sorts of vampire stories. But the ones that I liked the most were the ones where vampires were evil monsters, and there were vampire hunters, those who had the balls not only stand up to them, but to hunt them down and destroy them.

So, there was this one TV show...about a little blonde girl who was "chosen to stand alone against the vampires, the demons, and the forces of darkness". That show was called Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

I was in high school when the first season came out, and I had caught a few episodes of it and also remembered going to see the movie in the theater when I was about twelve. The TV show came out when I was about seventeen. At that time, staying home and watching TV was neither the cool nor fun thing to do. The thing to do back then was to go out with on the weekends and get drunk or blazed with your friends (just being real). Also, at the time I thought that nineties TV was lame and not worth watching, Which I was totally wrong about cause there were other great shows at the time like NYPD BLUE, ER and The X-Files.

So, back to that whole early twenties period I mentioned, I was actually reluctant to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer because, at the time, it was mostly girls watching that show because they liked the whole girl power thing. And most guys my age at the time would not watch that thing cause it "wasn't masculine" or some insecure crap like that. But then I decided to try watching it on a regular basis, because FUCK THAT, I'm gonna do what I want and I'm fine with who I am. It's about the ultimate vampire killer (next to Blade), and I really don't think a TV show should judge who I am...unless I watched something like The Jersey Shore that is. Hate that shit with a passion! LOL, sorry. Different story altogether there I mean.

And I just started watching it, and the storytelling is what grabbed me at first as well as the way they handled the idea of vampires and what they would be like. The characters also grabbed me with a steel fist. Willow was the Witch, you had Angel...the vampire with a soul, Oz (Seth Greene) the werewolf, Giles, Dawn, and Xander...the one guy who had no special abilities in terms of fighting the supernatural but that was what made him interesting, cause he had no abilities or special powers but continued to fight.

Buffy Summers follows in the tradition of Sarah Connor from The Terminator films as well as Ellen Ripley from the Alien films. Sure you could argue that she's just a glorified cheerleader with pointy sticks, but hey...I'M GLAD I HAD HER BACK THEN INSTEAD OF BELLA SWAN!!!!

And of course you have Spike. The punk rock vampire modeled after Sid Vicious and Billy Idol. Well, actually there is this book The Light at the End by John Skipp whom Joss Whedon said the character was partly modeled after as well. That's a good book, you should read it. Spike is cool because when you hear the word "vampire", you probably think of some gothic, poofy shirt wearing Fabio type who sips blood out of wine glasses and reads poetry. Either that or a dude with his hair slicked back and a cape (no offense to Bela Lugosi or Christopher Lee). No, Spike's all in your face, gives those other vamps the finger, drinks and smokes all he wants and says, "..yeah, fuck you. I'm a vampire but I listen to the Sex Pistols and I wear this big black leather duster cause I got it off of one of the slayers I killed.". Even when he got his soul back and became the good guy, he was still a badass, cool, and likeable. My point is, we've just never really seen a vampire on screen like that before.

Of course I realized that Buffy the Vampire Slayer wasn't just a show about a cute blonde chick killing vampires and demons all the time (even though I loved that part), there's the analogies. First three seasons were all about the difficulties of being in high school, and after that it was about progressing into your twenties, dealing with relationships and the heartache that follows it, addiction, war, life and death and over all...the concept of good and evil...that last one leads me back to my whole vampire fascination from day one. The show was "socially relevant".

What Frank Miller did for Batman in the eighties, is what Joss Whedon did for vampires.

Through that show, I started watching Angel too. That was cool because it was a lot darker, geared more towards the aged 25-29 demographic, and tackled other issues. I should write a separate thing on "Why I miss Angel". I was so pissed off when Jordan Levin, C.E.O of the WB network at the time, cancelled it after season five....My God...he pissed off so many people by doing that. The fans all tried numerous things to convince him to keep the show on the air for at least one more season, but he wouldn't listen cause he's a dick. And Karma came to bite him in the ass about a year later when there was some loophole in his contract and he lost his job.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer was continued in comic books, and from what I understand it is still going. I'm surprised I haven't really read any of that being for one that I am a comic book fan and artist and also cause I used to read the Buffy the Vampire Slayer comic book series that came before the current one. There was also a comic book called, Fray. Which was about the slayer in the distant future. It was pretty cool, had kind of a Fifth Element type setting with flying cars and what-not. Oh, and, if memory serves that book came out about a year before season seven ended, and they had the future slayer wield that "Sythe" weapon. Yeah, remember this badass thing...
 photo Buffy-the-Vampire-Slayer-Slayer-Scythe-1.jpg
Then, months later, when that episode aired where Buffy finds it in Caleb's vineyard, I was like, "Oh shit, that's the awesome vampire killing tool from Fray, they put it in the TV show!" . There were also other comics that Joss Whedon put out, like Tales of the Slayers and Tales of the Vampires. They continued Angel in comic book form. There were also a few comics about Spike, particularly one about his rivalry with Dracula. It goes on. The comic books are there because people did not want it to end. Also because Joss Whedon loves comic books. That's why he's directing The Avengers movies now.

And why do they miss it? And Why do I miss it? Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I myself find the majority of the recent vampire stuff to be lame and watered down. The Vampire Diaries (the television show) is just repetitive, strays away from everything positive I said about Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the other vampire stuff I mentioned, and it's just teeny-bopper garbage. True Blood might have been okay in the first two seasons, but then it just got to be retarded. The Strain..EH...that's okay I guess, but the vampires in that show are more like bloodsucking aliens then the vampires I grew up with. So yeah we don't have much recent vampire stuff that's actually good (save for a handful of novels and comic books). Which is why I've been going back lately, to watch the old episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, and the other vampire stuff that came before.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, in terms of dealing with vampires, was cool cause they had one foot in the past with classic ideas made popular by Bram Stoker, and one foot in the "potential future of vampire fiction". And then you have all the analogies I mentioned before. I think what really made it good was how the show balanced horror, comedy, drama, action and martial arts all on a knife's edge and got away with it brilliantly!

In all fairness, it's not a perfect show. I mean, some episodes were pretty campy. I am probably the only one who did not like that musical episode, Once More With Feeling. But what story is perfect. Even if you go off and write your own thing, it'll never be entirely perfect. Because that's art.

To quote a phrase uttered by all kinds of different characters throughout all seven seasons:

"Here Endith The Lesson"

message 2: by Perry (new)

Perry Lake | 17 comments Nailed it.

message 3: by Dan, destroyer of vegan vampire sissies (new)

Thanks, Perry.

message 4: by Aspasía (new)

Aspasía Bissas (aspasiasbissas) Fray was an awesome comic book/story. I would love to see it as a series onscreen (will also settle for more comic books). I miss Buffy and Angel too--the post-cancellation comic books are good but it's not the same.

Thanks also for mentioning the Light at the End. I didn't know about it and will have to read that.

message 5: by Dan, destroyer of vegan vampire sissies (last edited Jul 18, 2017 01:21AM) (new)

Aspasía wrote: "Fray was an awesome comic book/story. I would love to see it as a series onscreen (will also settle for more comic books). I miss Buffy and Angel too--the post-cancellation comic books are good but..."

Fray was an awesome comic book. I liked that artist a lot whoever his name is. Yes, I agree, It would make a series but I don't think they could do it without Joss Whedon.

Yeah, I thought that little fact about Spike and The Light at the End was cool too. You should ready it, it's really gory though....it's considered the first
Splatterpunk novel.

message 6: by Aspasía (new)

Aspasía Bissas (aspasiasbissas) Dan wrote: "Aspasía wrote: "Fray was an awesome comic book/story. I would love to see it as a series onscreen (will also settle for more comic books). I miss Buffy and Angel too--the post-cancellation comic bo..."

Definitely need Joss--I don't think anyone else could do Fray justice. Thanks for the warning on the book--I may have to reconsider (violence I can handle but gore can be an issue).

message 7: by Dan, destroyer of vegan vampire sissies (last edited Jul 18, 2017 12:20PM) (new)

Aspasía wrote: "Dan wrote: "Aspasía wrote: "Fray was an awesome comic book/story. I would love to see it as a series onscreen (will also settle for more comic books). I miss Buffy and Angel too--the post-cancellat..."

Gore doesn't bother me ( except for that first episode of season 7 of The Walking Dead back in October ), it's just that that book is really gory, so I didn't know. I mean there's one part where the vampire has sex with a girl......and I'll stop there.

Yeah, you definitely need Joss for anything connected to Buffy. That's why so many people were happy a few years ago when Warner Brothers said they decided they weren't going to make that Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie without him.

message 8: by Aspasía (new)

Aspasía Bissas (aspasiasbissas) Dan wrote: "Aspasía wrote: "Dan wrote: "Aspasía wrote: "Fray was an awesome comic book/story. I would love to see it as a series onscreen (will also settle for more comic books). I miss Buffy and Angel too--th..."

Weirdly, the Walking Dead doesn't bother me. I guess it depends on rather random circumstances :)

Yes, I'm so glad they didn't go ahead with that reboot. "Same producers as the original movie"--yeah. no thank you.

message 9: by Dan, destroyer of vegan vampire sissies (last edited Jul 18, 2017 01:36PM) (new)

Aspasía wrote:Weirdly, the Walking Dead doesn't bother me. I guess it depends on rather random circumstances :)

Yes, I'm so glad they didn't go ahead with that reboot. "Same producers as the original movie"--yeah. no thank you.

The Walking Dead never really bothered me until that one episode last year where Negan shows up and uses that baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire to turn Glenn and Abraham's heads into ground beef. It wasn't just that part of that episode, it was the whole thing. It was like they were deliberately trying to screw with the viewers' heads. Kind of like Requiem for a Dream or Black Swan. I still love The Walking Dead and I still watch it, but it's just that one episode that I will never watch again.

Yeah, I don't know if it was the same producers as the original Buffy film. From what I remember reading, they were going to remake that one and Joss Whedon was supposed to be a part of it, but then Warner Brothers cut him out and hired a screenwriter. They ended up firing the screenwriter cause he did a terrible job of writing the script, and then they announced that the movie was not going to happen.

message 10: by Aspasía (new)

Aspasía Bissas (aspasiasbissas) From what I remember it was the original director of the Buffy movie (with Kristy Swanson), Fran Rubel Kuzui. She was the executive producer on the movie and the Buffy series (with I think her husband). They were going to be part of a reboot, but Joss wasn't. I can't remember all the details now but it seemed like a terrible idea that most of the fans hated and it died before getting off the ground (rightly so). I don't know if Joss would ever come back to TV and do a Buffy/Fray/vampire show, but we can dream.

message 11: by Dan, destroyer of vegan vampire sissies (new)

Aspasía wrote: "From what I remember it was the original director of the Buffy movie (with Kristy Swanson), Fran Rubel Kuzui. She was the executive producer on the movie and the Buffy series (with I think her husb..."

It seems like to me that Joss Whedon is currently busy with The Avengers movies and other projects. So I think he's not coming back to it anytime soon.

I saw the Buffy movie in the theater when I was eleven, and didn't think it was all that bad at the time. I didn't even know it had bombed. Then when I started watching the show years later, I watched the movie again and saw what was wrong with it.
This was the article that I initially read on vampires.com about four years ago or whenever this all happened.
https://www.vampires.com/buffy-reboot...

message 12: by Aspasía (new)

Aspasía Bissas (aspasiasbissas) Dan wrote: "Aspasía wrote: "From what I remember it was the original director of the Buffy movie (with Kristy Swanson), Fran Rubel Kuzui. She was the executive producer on the movie and the Buffy series (with ..."

Wrong with the movie? Like Buffy getting cramps in the vicinity of vampires, and staked vampires just sort of sinking off screen and never being seen again? Lol. I enjoy the movie as cheesy fun, but mostly for the seeds of the series that are in it. Too bad Joss couldn't have rebooted the movie himself with SMG et al before the series began.

Thanks for the article link :)

message 13: by Dan, destroyer of vegan vampire sissies (new)

Aspasía wrote: "Dan wrote: "Aspasía wrote: "From what I remember it was the original director of the Buffy movie (with Kristy Swanson), Fran Rubel Kuzui. She was the executive producer on the movie and the Buffy s..."

No problem. Yeah, at the time, when I was eleven I didn't get that, then when I was older and I knew about how girls' menstrual cycles worked, so when I was older I thought the whole thing where she get's cramps when vampires were near was just wrong. LOL. Thankfully they left that out of the TV show. I didn't like the whole thing where she kept missing the heart when killing the vampires even though Donald Sutherland's character kept telling her "the heart!" when he was training her to use a stake. Rutger Hauer was good. He seems to like playing vampires a lot, although most of the movies he's done so in haven't really done that well.

Didn't they have a Buffy reunion recently with everyone from the TV show?

message 14: by Aspasía (new)

Aspasía Bissas (aspasiasbissas) Dan wrote: "Aspasía wrote: "Dan wrote: "Aspasía wrote: "From what I remember it was the original director of the Buffy movie (with Kristy Swanson), Fran Rubel Kuzui. She was the executive producer on the movie..."

Rutger Hauer does villains well. I also think Donald Sutherland is great, so he was another highlight for me.

Here's the cast reunion you mentioned: http://ew.com/tv/buffy-the-vampire-sl...

message 15: by Dan, destroyer of vegan vampire sissies (new)

Oh, cool. Thanks for that, Aspasia. The girls still look pretty. LOL. They all look good. Nicholas Brendan (Xander) looks good. He wasn't doing to well for a while there, with the drugs and alcohol, etc. I'm hoping he's better now.