Bookworms Anonymous discussion

General Archives > Re-reading Books

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 177 comments Mod
What are books that you guys always go back to an re-read?

I always re-read pretty much every series (Pretty Little Liars, Twilight, etc..) and then a couple of stand alone books. To Kill A Mockingbird, Perfect Chemistry..

What do you guys re-read?

message 2: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Sebren | 9 comments I make it a point each year or so to re-read The Passage trilogy by Justin Cronin.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 177 comments Mod
I've never read it. I'll have to check it out.

message 4: by Joanna (new)

Joanna  (joreadsalot) | 7 comments I don't usually re read but I want to so I am doing HP and I am thinking about doing Eragon and Eldest again possibly cause I have to finish Brisingr and Inheritance.

message 5: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) I always re-read books that I love. For example - Secrets Of Whitewater Creek by Sarah Barrie Sarah Barrie

message 6: by Ava (new)

Ava Cohen-Shippee | 4 comments I always reread TFIOS. For everyone who didn't know what that is, it stand a for The Fault In Our Stars.

message 7: by Jeff (new)

Jeff The Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Anna Karenina, The Red Tree, Crime and Punishment and the Old Man and the Sea are the only ones I remember rereading. The Red Tree because it was complicated and I wanted to make sure I understood. Still not sure I did. :)

message 8: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Jeff wrote: "The Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Anna Karenina, The Red Tree, Crime and Punishment and the Old Man and the Sea are the only ones I remember rereading. The Red Tree because it was complicated an..."

Jeff - what made Red Tree complicated?

message 9: by Denise (new)

Denise (cat_pleasures) | 143 comments Mod
The Women's Murder Club. A great series with 4 tough ladies solving difficult murders by James Patterson. I can't read this series enough!

message 10: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) I love that series too Denise! Have you read the lasted book in this series?

message 11: by Denise (new)

Denise (cat_pleasures) | 143 comments Mod
Jenny wrote: "I love that series too Denise! Have you read the lasted book in this series?"

16th? No. I'm waiting for my cousin to finish it. I would like it if we read at least some of these in the series reading. I love Patterson. I'm taking his writing class now.

message 12: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Denise, I will add the Women's Murder Club to July/September series suggestions.

message 13: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Jenny wrote: "Jeff wrote: "The Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Anna Karenina, The Red Tree, Crime and Punishment and the Old Man and the Sea are the only ones I remember rereading. The Red Tree because it was c..."

It mixes in with a psychological scare story a person trying to escape a very recent, very troubled past. In the book there is another story and it is full of symbolism. At first blush it is an easy allegory, but I always thought, and struggled to find, an even deeper meaning. Also, there are a number of quotes that show up in a revelatory moment and why they were there made me think I was supposed to have read that book as well. As I have not read it, I am not sure if that is the case.

Kiernan's characters (I understand) typically have a very deep understanding of things, and frequently it feels like she assumes the reader should know as well. As Google is my friend, it usually only takes me a bit to get there, and sometimes adds a few things to my reading list. It can be distracting, like in the Red Tree; but sometimes it isn't, like in Daughter of Hounds. Those are the only two of hers that I read, but do plan on reading others.

If you would like more particulars, I would be glad to share, but I tried to avoid any real spoilers.

message 14: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Jeff wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Jeff wrote: "The Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Anna Karenina, The Red Tree, Crime and Punishment and the Old Man and the Sea are the only ones I remember rereading. The Red Tree be..."

Thanks, Jeff. I now understand - Red Tree does sound like it would be difficult to read.

message 15: by Jeff (new)

Jeff I don't want to dissuade you from reading it, though. I liked it quite a bit.