World, Writing, Wealth discussion

All Things Writing & Publishing > Blurb help requested :)

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments I have finished the blurb for my parenting guide but I would feel a lot more comfortable calling it a day if I could get my good buddies here to give it the once over LOL. Thank you in advance for your time and any suggestions :-)

High school graduation may feel light years away but your child will be loading up the family car and heading off to college before you can say cap and gown!

Beyond Good Grades: Preparing Your Child for College Life will give you tools to equip your child for success at the next level.

In this book the high school years become an independent living and life skills lab with action steps that will increase your child's sense of personal responsibility and self-sufficiency.

This guide focuses on the essential building blocks your child will need to thrive in college such as personal finance, conflict management, proper sleep and nutrition, personal safety and how to craft rewarding relationships, just to name a few.

With Beyond Good Grades: Preparing Your High Schooler for College Life you don't have to hope for the best - you can plan for it!

message 2: by M.L. (last edited Oct 08, 2016 10:03AM) (new)

M.L. I like it, Tara. The only thing you might consider adding along with driving the family car is - or flying across the country/to another state, or something like that, since a lot of kids go pretty far!

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments M.L. Roberts wrote: "I like it, Tara. The only thing you might consider adding along with driving the family car is - or flying across the country/to another state, or something like that since a lot of kids go pretty ..."

Perfect - thank you!

message 4: by Alex (last edited Oct 08, 2016 11:56AM) (new)

Alex (asato) Tara wrote: "... heading off to college before you can say cap and gown!"

very snappy; excellent usage of symbolism.

Tara wrote: "With Beyond Good Grades: Preparing Your High Schooler for College Life you don't have to hope for the best - you can plan for it!"

in-line w/the totality of your blurb. excellent close with a call to action w/o saying "buy my book"

wow, this is a new book? i'm actually a little excited about it b/c i've been thinking about college quite a bit for my middle-schooler. when is it going to come out?

message 5: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13809 comments Sounds pretty good as it is, IMO. Small things: three times 'your child' is a bit repetitive for a blurb and you can probably give up on either 'such as' or 'to name a few'

message 6: by Alex (last edited Oct 08, 2016 12:00PM) (new)

Alex (asato) Nik wrote: "Sounds pretty good as it is, IMO. Small things: three times 'your child' is a bit repetitive for a blurb and you can probably give up on either 'such as' or 'to name a few'"

but what would sub for "your child"? "him or her" sounds a little too formal. you could pluralize "your children" and "their", but then it doesn't quite parallel the title of the book.

how about: "your offspring" ;P

message 7: by Jeannine (new)

Jeannine Harris | 27 comments Agree with Nik. Other than that, it's very catchy!

message 8: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13809 comments Maybe another high - schooler, future student, aspiring teen or maybe prospective best student-:) ?

message 9: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Nik wrote: "Maybe another high - schooler, future student, aspiring teen or maybe prospective best student-:) ?"

oh, those are good ones!

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Oh you guys! Good stuff here - I'm in awe of how people can see things that escape your own attention. All of you are awesome. Alex, you made me lol!

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Alex G wrote: "Tara wrote: "... heading off to college before you can say cap and gown!"

very snappy; excellent usage of symbolism.

Tara wrote: "With Beyond Good Grades: Preparing Your High Schooler for College..."

It's set for a February release in tandem with book three but of course that could vary. Hmmm.,,do you volunteer as tribute, citizen?

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Jeannine wrote: "Agree with Nik. Other than that, it's very catchy!"

Thank you :)

message 13: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Tara wrote: "It's set for a February release in tandem with book three but of course that could vary. Hmmm.,,do you volunteer as tribute, citizen?"

book 3? you've been very busy. ganbatte!

you know, i still gotta barbarian kingdom to run. in my place, i offer my firstborn as tribute. after she graduates from college, w/the help of your book, in machiavellian--i mean, political science-- she'll be a great asset to you, First Citizen Tara, in ruling your grand and powerful Pax Romana.

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Alex G wrote: "Tara wrote: "It's set for a February release in tandem with book three but of course that could vary. Hmmm.,,do you volunteer as tribute, citizen?"

book 3? you've been very busy. ganbatte!

you kn..."

Your terms are fair...your village will be spared.

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Nik wrote: "Maybe another high - schooler, future student, aspiring teen or maybe prospective best student-:) ?"

Ding! We have a winner lol.

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Okay guys, here is my revised blurb:

High school graduation may feel light years away but your child will be packing up and heading off to college before you can say cap and gown!

Beyond Good Grades: Preparing Your Child for College Life will give you tools to equip your child for success at the next level. In this book you will learn how the high school years can become an independent living and life skills lab with action steps that will increase your future collegian's sense of maturity and self-sufficiency.

This guide focuses on the essential building blocks every student needs to thrive such as personal finance, conflict management, proper sleep and nutrition, personal safety and how to craft rewarding relationships, just to name a few.

With Beyond Good Grades: Preparing Your High Schooler for College Life you don't have to hope for the best - you can plan for it!

message 17: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 0 comments There is still an echo of 'your child' between 1st and 2nd paragraph, Tara. I'd suggest using 'your kid' in the 1st para as the tone is more informal there.

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Zee wrote: "There is still an echo of 'your child' between 1st and 2nd paragraph, Tara. I'd suggest using 'your kid' in the 1st para as the tone is more informal there."

Yes, I see it now. Thank you :)

message 19: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 0 comments :)